Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11783Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 712

Post Topic: Valve's Piston Steam Box
PostPosted 08.01.2013, 13:57 
What do you guys think about Valve's new toy?

The docking solution is great, nice and tidy. I might consider buying one. It also had alot of connections on the back.

Quote by Polygon:
The "Steam Box" modular computer announced by hardware maker Xi3 and Valve at CES is codenamed "Piston" and is modeled after the PC maker's X7A line of pint-sized computers, Xi3 reps tell Polygon.

Xi3 brought an early version of Piston to CES, but was tight lipped on details about the hardware currently in development with Valve. Xi3 chief marketing officer David Politis told Polygon that Piston will offer up to 1 TB of interal storage and offer modular component updates, including the option to upgrade the PC's CPU and RAM.

Xi3 wouldn't discuss price for Piston, but commented that the Steam Box is based on its "performance level" X7A offering, which is priced at $999. Xi3 declined to comment on what would differentiate Piston hardware-wise from a standard X7A.

Xi3 also offers the entry level X5A, which is priced at $499 with a Linux operating system.

The demo unit of Piston featured an IO board boasting one ethernet port, 1/8" audio in/out, SPDIF optical audio, four USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports (with one dedicated to keyboard input), four eSATAp ports, two Mini Display Port ports and one DisplayPort/HDMI port.

Source : http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849284 ... am-box-xi3

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.07.2011, 21:46Posts: 1426 Likes: 108

Post Topic: Re: Valve's Piston Steam Box
PostPosted 08.01.2013, 14:29 
Theoretically it will be a success because console gamers can easily upgrade components. BUT it will never be as good as XBOX Live. It is pointless to compete with Microsoft.

Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 23:44Posts: 620Location: Hastings County, Ontario, Canada Likes: 21

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 14:42 
lelz

Grand, almost anything is better than XBL. The community and support are utter ****.

Quote by Cry-JR:
Our player is a retired Resident Evil background actor and sometimes... he shows his evil side.

Quote by thegeek:
Xbox is down, someone call the ambulance!  Wii u Wii u Wii u
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.08.2011, 17:20Posts: 283 Likes: 13

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 15:04 
It depends on the operating system this thing will run on... if this is just a regular windows or linux PC I don't see why I should buy another one of those. Especially since Steam has Big Picture mode for everyone my current Laptop is probably the better game console. If they create their own OS similar to Microsoft&Sony to make this a real console dedicated to games then this may be the first console I buy since the original XboX. :p
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 03.06.2010, 19:54Posts: 725Location: Germany Likes: 5

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 17:53 
Quote by USSR_GRAND:
Theoretically it will be a success because console gamers can easily upgrade components. BUT it will never be as good as XBOX Live. It is pointless to compete with Microsoft.

7€ per month for online playing is considered "good"? What the hell has happened to everybody?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1542 Likes: 56

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 18:25 
It depends on three things:
1. Price.
2. Specification.
3. Exclusives.
If it will have 4 cores CPU 8GB ram and Radeon 7850 or GeForce 660Ti+ and cost about 350$ it will just throw Sony and Microsoft out of business instantly.

Low price is entirely possible because of two things:
1. Steam is already established platform with very good term for developers (better, MUCH better than Microsoft). Which means they already have profits from cuts. And it will be easier to convince developers to make games for Steam first. And games to buy SteamBox. Hell, it will be enough if Valve will announce that Half-Half 3 is Steam Exclusive (which would means SteamBox + Linux).
2. It's not hard to manufacture upgrade components that are compatible only with one type of hardware. Which means they can also make profit later by selling upgrades to hardware.

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 03.06.2010, 19:54Posts: 725Location: Germany Likes: 5

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 20:03 
Quote by iniside:
Low price is entirely possible because of two things:

When they don't use the most expensive CPU, the price would still be among the 300ers for the parts, so 350$ is not that unrealistic.

Quote by iniside:
1. Steam is already established platform with very good term for developers (better, MUCH better than Microsoft). Which means they already have profits from cuts. And it will be easier to convince developers to make games for Steam first. And games to buy SteamBox. Hell, it will be enough if Valve will announce that Half-Half 3 is Steam Exclusive (which would means SteamBox + Linux).

This is true, with Steam beeing around for a while now, and supporting Indie as well as AAA Developers, the console might even have an acceptable lineup, depending on the games that will be supported (I think many games will, why the hell wouldn't normal PC Games on Steam work on a Mini PC with Steam on it?) of course provided the games offer gamepad support, which most games nowadays do.
Quote by iniside:
2. It's not hard to manufacture upgrade components that are compatible only with one type of hardware. Which means they can also make profit later by selling upgrades to hardware.

This is a nice idea... Beeing able to upgrade the consoles... But then the selling point of Consoles vanish from the Steambox, the same performance and specs for everybody (equalism). And also I don't think Valve would make profit out of it, I'd rather think the companies that build these parts will (AMD/IBM/NVidea/Intel etc.).

I will be patient, I just hope Valve doesn't focus too much on console stuff now...
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 23.04.2008, 19:49Posts: 3901Location: Horsham, West Sussex Likes: 60

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 20:42 
from what i've seen of xi3's other machines, the high end they do is $1100 lower end < $500 so in my eyes unless they knock that down, its going to stay a luxury item that might pick up sales when it gets cheaper in 3-4 years. depending on the next gen cycle/specs that could be the tipping point or not.

EDIT: Source http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ade-by-xi3

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 22:11 
Quote by JustNameless:
7€ per month for online playing is considered "good"? What the hell has happened to everybody?

Dude, you kinda have social issues... :P

Here take a look at your latest post's, where your opinions are FACTS!
search.php?author_id=114047&sr=posts

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.10.2011, 02:04Posts: 1516Location: Tulsa, OK Likes: 21

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 22:29 
Quote by USSR_GRAND:
Quote by JustNameless:

While I can't disagree with this whole statement, he is right about one thing. Xbox live is terrible, imo, for the price they are asking. Sure, 60$ isn't that much money, but that adds up to 300$ if you use live for 5 years. I can surely think of a better way to spend 300, or even 60$ dollars, then cross game chat, which is essentially what you are paying for, since PS3 has every other feature for free.

"The DAY AFTER" set in an open world Chicago and NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DOjN0mAfGQ
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 25.07.2006, 03:26Posts: 605Location: Florida Likes: 10

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 23:26 
Quote by JustNameless:
Agreed!
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11740Location: Nottingham, UK Likes: 89

PostPosted 08.01.2013, 23:49 
Quote by TheMagnumman357:
While I can't disagree with this whole statement, he is right about one thing. Xbox live is terrible, imo, for the price they are asking. Sure, 60$ isn't that much money, but that adds up to 300$ if you use live for 5 years. I can surely think of a better way to spend 300, or even 60$ dollars, then cross game chat, which is essentially what you are paying for, since PS3 has every other feature for free.

Servers don't run on magic and goodwill. Evidently Sony feel comfortable subsiding their network operation with cash from some other aspect of the business, whilst MS would prefer to charge upfront. That's fine, consumers have a choice between the two models.

Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Ex-Crytek, now with Deep Silver Dambuster Studios

PostPosted 09.01.2013, 00:13 
Quote by USSR_GRAND:

My social life is kinda intact, I have no idea what you're talking about, or where you got this from.
Quote by USSR_GRAND:

And what's this supposed to mean?

Xbox Live is just pay 7€ per month for a service you have for free on PC and PS3, which isn't something I gladly take into account, only to play online with some kids who got their Xbox for christmas, and a "point" system, to avoid direct transactions and gain more money.

Microsoft wants money, money, money, and doesn't offer something special or definite to say "I am proud to pay them."

Or am I wrong? Are you proud to pay for those services?

PostPosted 09.01.2013, 00:28 
Well I think alot of people make these companies like EA, Microsoft, and Valve out to be greedy scam artist's. Not everything should be non-profit. People got a family to feed, a roof to put over there heads. We have to sell these products to keep our business alive, and our families sheltered.

Video games used to be 10 bucks, now they are 60-70$ I don't here anyone complaining about that. Or people who order these "expensive" $12-$20 Gaming magazines. after all its just paper right?

I don't mind paying $50 to play with my friends, while using "their" technology and services. If they asked for $100+ then that's different

Quote by JustNameless:
Or am I wrong? Are you proud to pay for those services?

I wouldn't say "proud", but I don't mind dropping a "Ulysses S. Grant" for those services

PostPosted 09.01.2013, 00:43 
Quote by USSR_GRAND:
Not everything should be non-profit.

That is correct. That's why I payed for the damn console, and I already pay extra money for the games (as PC Games are way cheaper, sometimes up to 20€ cheaper, that's a lot for a game to me), I don't need to pay a monthly fee to have services, that are somewhat already on the free subscription (as you can browse, download and buy stuff from the marketplace, friend system etc.) so basically you're paying for something that you could have for free, and does not hurt anyones pockets, except yours.

No matter how you say "families must be fed", they obviously will. I payed 350 for the damn box, and have around 25+ games for it, that makes up to almost 1500€ (!) since 2007. No one will starve, because I didn't pay 7€ per month for stuff, that is offered for free on every other plattform (even Nintendos services are for free).
Quote by USSR_GRAND:
Video games used to be 10 bucks, now they are 60-70$ I don't here anyone complaining about that. Or people who order these "expensive" $12-$20 Gaming magazines. after all its just paper right?

That's something that frustrates me as well, but hey, capitalism is something good, isn't it? please get the sarcasm
Quote by USSR_GRAND:
I don't mind paying $50 to play with my friends, while using "their" technology and services. If they asked for $100+ then that's different

I already pay for the internet flatrate, so why should I pay even more, for stuff that is (yes, I am repeating myself) for free on every other plattform.

This wouldn't totally be a problem if we had to pay a monthly fee on every plattform (although that would be an immense problem globally), but Microsoft is the only company to restrict stuff of your account (including online gameplay) and wanting you to pay monthly to allow stuff.

We use Steam services and Servers as well, do we need a subscription? A monthly fee for playing Steam Games online? I doubt it, and I doubt that anyone would want that to happen.
Quote by USSR_GRAND:
I wouldn't say "proud", but I don't mind dropping a "Ulysses S. Grant" for those services

Is this supposed to be related? Because I am talking about the money, not your real name.