Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 23:44Posts: 620Location: Hastings County, Ontario, Canada Likes: 21

Post Topic: Re: Unreal Engine 4
PostPosted 20.02.2012, 17:46 
Quote by Zurginator:
Asking a programer to work for free is the same as asking anyone else to work for free.

Would you work in a kitchen for free? Would you be a garbage man for free?

The answer is no. Even IF you love your job, it is still a job. A programmer probably spent several grand on an education at that --- working for free is not an option.

Explain KDE. Explain Firefox. Explain the numerous ioProjects. Explain MODplug (which used to be shareware, by the way!). Explain Git, SVN, or any version control system, really. Explain Newton (which was commercial at one point!), Bullet, ODE. Hell, explain every single piece of open source software in existence. These programmers work for free helping the general state of gaming and computing.

While something as complex as CE3 or any game engine is unlikely to be made open-source, there are examples of completely open-source engines, not the least of which are ioDoom3, PixelLight (which, if I'm not mistaken, has one of the best quality renderers out there for an open-source engine), etc..

Yes, it's unlikely to get a ton of great programmers to work for free on a huge project like a game engine, but to say it is impossibly is silly, because numerous projects are already out there proving you wrong. ;)

Quote by Cry-JR:
Our player is a retired Resident Evil background actor and sometimes... he shows his evil side.

Quote by thegeek:
Xbox is down, someone call the ambulance!  Wii u Wii u Wii u

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1534 Likes: 53

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 18:24 
I will explain. The do not work for free. Some of the project are founded as non-profit (which means, they do not make profit, but people who work on them still get paid). And some of them created in free time. But people who work on them, have normal job (and are lucky enough to have job that overlap with what are they doing in free time).

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).
  Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 23:44Posts: 620Location: Hastings County, Ontario, Canada Likes: 21

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 18:27 
Quote by iniside:
I will explain. The do not work for free. Some of the project are founded as non-profit (which means, they do not make profit, but people who work on them still get paid). And some of them created in free time. But people who work on them, have normal job (and are lucky enough to have job that overlap with what are they doing in free time).

In the case of KDE, only the core contributors (ie those part of the eV itself) are paid. There are hundreds of other unpaid contributors. Yes, these people have jobs, but in most cases, they are unrelated to the project and only function as day jobs.

Quote by Cry-JR:
Our player is a retired Resident Evil background actor and sometimes... he shows his evil side.

Quote by thegeek:
Xbox is down, someone call the ambulance!  Wii u Wii u Wii u
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 18:39 
Quote by Zurginator:

Asking a programer to work for free is the same as asking anyone else to work for free.

Would you work in a kitchen for free? Would you be a garbage man for free?

The answer is no. Even IF you love your job, it is still a job. A programmer probably spent several grand on an education at that --- working for free is not an option.

You dont understant my point:
A lot of programers works for free and for honour ,because they have a regular paid job like to teach programming in some university or school...Thats veery common in this part of the planet and in the opensource world, like DW_ said

Quote by Lavizh:
You are also in no position to talk bad about the Yerli brothers as they have done SO much to the entire modding community

Thats WAS true a few years ago. in the times of Farcry1 and Crysis 1...Now they are just businessmen like that very fat Activision guy, bill gates and the deadman Steve Jobs.

Quote:
And as stated by Cry-JR they did give out the FreeSDK (for free)

I dont think so, because a REAL free software doesnt have ONLINE DRM!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by CryJR:
And by the way don't even think about comparing the release of the idTech 4 source code with the FreeSDK or a full source code release of the CryENGINE, because it's like comparing apples and oranges.

¡¡¡Off course!!You cannot compare the release of a supposed "free" software, against the release of an entire full source code, that can be studied ,analized ,modified and compiled...And used anonimously without the need of to be online or to make any online registration
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 18:48 
Lol, there are a lot of free multiplayer games.. what are you talking about ?
I also don't like DRM but, ehy, it never caused any problem with CryEngine. :)

Also, I think we're getting slightly Off-Topic.

''What do you think of Unreal Engine 4, what do you expect and are there any updates about it?'' is what we should be discussing about.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 19:24 
Quote by DevilDante:
Lol, there are a lot of free multiplayer games.. what are you talking about ?
I also don't like DRM but, ehy, it never caused any problem with CryEngine. :)

Also, I think we're getting slightly Off-Topic.

''What do you think of Unreal Engine 4, what do you expect and are there any updates about it?'' is what we should be discussing about.

You right ..some messages must be moved to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=84011
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.01.2009, 14:25Posts: 1915 Likes: 10

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 19:35 
Quote by Psychoisalive:

Thats WAS true a few years ago. in the times of Farcry1 and Crysis 1...Now they are just businessmen like that very fat Activision guy, bill gates and the deadman Steve Jobs.

I dont think so, because a REAL free software doesnt have ONLINE DRM!!!!!!!!!!!

¡¡¡Off course!!You cannot compare the release of a supposed "free" software, against the release of an entire full source code, that can be studied ,analized ,modified and compiled...And used anonimously without the need of to be online or to make any online registration

Until YOU spend 60 hours a week at a job, and then spend an additional 40 hours a week for 10 years programming an engine (Because it usually takes 5+ employees 40+ hour weeks for 5+ years), and then release it for free, you are in no position to talk.

You do not have even a basic understanding of how things work. Google for example, does not open-source things and give them away for free because they're "Good" --- they do it because it makes them a ton of money.

If this is such a big deal to you, go to college, get a degree, open up iD Tech 4, make it a modern engine, and then give it out. Don't forget to add real-time lighting and a WYSIWYG editor. I GUARANTY you won't do it.

Edit: I'm out. :P
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 02:08Posts: 252 Likes: 0

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 22:04 
The hell? It's not DRM. DRM is used to prevent the illegal copying of a file or program. As a completely free program is, illegal copying is inherently impossible. They don't care how much you copy CryENGINE.
The login system is a project security system. Unless you own an account that has permission to use the .Cry files, or unless it as the Global Share setting enabled, you can't open them.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 21:28Posts: 436 Likes: 0

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 22:14 
Quote by Mr. Kidnapper:
The hell? It's not DRM. DRM is used to prevent the illegal copying of a file or program. As a completely free program is, illegal copying is inherently impossible. They don't care how much you copy CryENGINE.
The login system is a project security system. Unless you own an account that has permission to use the .Cry files, or unless it as the Global Share setting enabled, you can't open them.

so in other words its DRM.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.01.2009, 14:25Posts: 1915 Likes: 10

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 22:35 
Quote by ClockworkOnion:
Quote by Mr. Kidnapper:

In a very loose sense. I wouldn't label it as that if only due to the very strong negative connotation it brings.

It's to protect your work, not their work.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1534 Likes: 53

PostPosted 20.02.2012, 23:32 
Quote by Zurginator:
Quote by ClockworkOnion:
Quote by Mr. Kidnapper:

In a very loose sense. I wouldn't label it as that if only due to the very strong negative connotation it brings.

It's to protect your work, not their work.

Still not valid point. If I want to protect my work, I can do it on my own.
I don't want to be make happier than I want ( is this make any sense ? ;p).

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 02:08Posts: 252 Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.02.2012, 01:53 
No, not much really any sense.
Still wouldn't call it DRM. See, if it were DRM, even if it's not for CryENGINE itself, restricting usage to a select few wouldn't really qualify. In my opinion, DRM in the strictest sense isn't to restrict usage to a select registered few (Like the 10 people in a project), but to restrict distribution to those who have not bought a copy. Login system doesn't do this.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2009, 16:43Posts: 1051Location: England Likes: 1

PostPosted 21.02.2012, 03:14 
The only thing stopping me from using Unreal is that Ce3 supports larger open worlds. I prefer Unreal for everything else. I can't wait to see what UE4 will be like with open world environments! :D

Solanum is back - Artifex Games
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 19.03.2009, 12:21Posts: 2036Location: Sweden Likes: 34

PostPosted 21.02.2012, 03:28 
Quote by JasperHope:
The only thing stopping me from using Unreal is that Ce3 supports larger open worlds. I prefer Unreal for everything else. I can't wait to see what UE4 will be like with open world environments! :D

I wonder if UE4 will bring actual developer usability ;)

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 28.07.2011, 12:22Posts: 549Location: Hong Kong, and sometimes mainland China Likes: 2

PostPosted 21.02.2012, 04:33 
Quote by i59:
Quote by JasperHope:

I wonder if UE4 will bring actual developer usability ;)

developer usability... I totally agree.

I've worked with UDK for 1 year and CE3 for 8 months... CE3 is waaaaaay faster to work with, and the results are better. Let's hope UE4 will be better, and CE4 even better than that :easter: