General Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 04.12.2011, 13:56Posts: 255Location: East Sussex, United Kingdom Likes: 3

Post Topic: GameSpy Service shutting down on May 31st 2014
PostPosted 04.04.2014, 14:58 

AEGIS Support

Main Project:
Crysis Mod Patcher

Test Projects:
Left 2 Die

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 4954Status: Online Likes: 127

Post Topic: Re: GameSpy Service shutting down on May 31st 2014
PostPosted 04.04.2014, 15:01 
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!?

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 16.09.2013, 20:56Posts: 199Location: Greece Likes: 19

PostPosted 04.04.2014, 15:28 
Finally... I hope crytek will take action and add a decent multiplayer service for the crysis series... I still can't login into my crysis 2 account, after formatting my pc. that issue is very common, as I saw into crysis forums. And once again EA tech support makes it happen, not knowing how to fix this...
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.08.2011, 11:31Posts: 71Location: Sweden Likes: 0

PostPosted 04.04.2014, 15:38 
Yeah, I'm sure players can still connect through IP but I'm guessing this will mean no more public listing of servers in the game itself? If so, it might deal the final blow to an already dying game and kill all the efforts by myself and other admins desperately trying to keep it alive by running servers for it.

But I guess it was fun while it lasted? ?(
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 25.05.2013, 16:44Posts: 607 Likes: 44

PostPosted 04.04.2014, 15:44 
YES! I hated GameSpy. Finally :D

http://devguy1975.imgur.com/all/

My portfolio

Level Designer.

/!\IF you HAVE a question FEEL FREE TO send a PM/!\
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 04.12.2011, 13:56Posts: 255Location: East Sussex, United Kingdom Likes: 3

Post Topic: Posted using Crydev Reader!
PostPosted 04.04.2014, 22:34 
@Venom: Yep no Server List and no Profile IDs anymore :(

AEGIS Support

Main Project:
Crysis Mod Patcher

Test Projects:
Left 2 Die
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.07.2011, 10:58Posts: 33Location: Brisbane, Australia Likes: 2

PostPosted 05.04.2014, 08:14 
We really need an official statement from EA or Crytek here on whether multiplayer support will continue but just through another system. Since the Origin Humble bundle which included Crysis 2 Maximum Edition sold 2.1 Million copies that you would think/hope to all that is good in the world that it will get updated in some form.

Trainee TraineeMember since: 26.08.2012, 11:40Posts: 135Location: SlovakiaStatus: Online Likes: 6

PostPosted 05.04.2014, 09:50 
If players use Direct IP connect and GS will be down, how will they receive Profile ID? They all will have 0 profile ID, so how will administration system work? On names when everybody in game can rename at any time to any name? :D
Or make it just like on Minecraft or GTA SA:MP where each player has account and uses /register <pass> to register and /login <pass> to authentificate? But how about 1.0.0 servers which still use AEGIS, so it will be visible in chat? o_O

Now on other, bad side, all servers will be NoCD key, since it is GS which provides CD Key verification :unsure:
So enjoy your last months on Crysis 1 MP, anyway if CryTek provided patch, players are just too lazy to download it (as you can see almost all players are on unpatched)
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 25.09.2012, 15:10Posts: 125 Likes: 6

PostPosted 05.04.2014, 13:41 
I don't think much/anything will be done considering they never replied about people who couldn't log into Crysis 2 MP/New forums when they moved from MyCrysis. Not very reliable now at all

For other games, it doesn't really affect me since I prefer SP, the only MP games I play somewhat regularly is BF3 and CSGO on PC.

People who like achievements on consoles will be pissed.

When life gives you lemons, eat them.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.08.2011, 11:31Posts: 71Location: Sweden Likes: 0

PostPosted 05.04.2014, 21:53 
As far as Crysis 1 I don't really see the absence of Profile ID's a big issue from a server management point of view, it would be easy to rewrite the server mods to where you have to identify manually to accounts instead with something like !pw blablabla or anything such. This is how it works on IRC networks and such and wouldn't be a big bother for staff or "premiums" to have to bother with I don't think.

Much harder would be of course to actually get beginners to find the servers, and prevent the servers from being empty all the time. Of course it wouldn't be too hard to set up for example a public web site that lists active Crysis servers with IP addresses and explain how to connect, I could do this myself happily and allow all server admins to register and list, but will anybody actually google it and find it after they buy the game? I think most will just assume there is no working multiplayer and never try to research it.

Also, *is* it even possible to connect with IP without a GameSpy ID? I thought you needed to log in with an account to even get to the "Online" section of Crysis 1. Or does it maybe work to enter the IP in the connect to IP box under "Local" games as well? ?(

EDIT: Just did a few tests with some people and it seems it's not possible to even connect from the IP box under Local games. With that, and not being able to go into the Online section without a Gamespy ID, I suppose it's all pretty hopeless then. So it will be the effective end of dedicated servers for Crysis 1 either way we cut it. :sad:
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 26.08.2012, 11:40Posts: 135Location: SlovakiaStatus: Online Likes: 6

PostPosted 06.04.2014, 09:14 
As far as I know, most of Crysis players use Nomad accounts anyways.
So making system like !register, !login ... is useless on names (+ you can rename in-game), maybe on IPs, but what if two players have same IP or they have dynamic IP ?

So now I just see how much time I wasted for nothing on this game -_-
I don't think that company cares about it anyway, Crysis 1 is dead game for them.

PostPosted 06.04.2014, 16:33 
Quote by Zi;:
As far as I know, most of Crysis players use Nomad accounts anyways.

Yes but you're thinking the "profiles" in the game, what I'm talking about is the account you need to create and login with in order to get to the "Online" tab under "Multiplayer". That account is a Gamespy account and they will no longer work either after 31st of May. So how will you be able to even connect to a server, even by IP address, if the game won't let you access the "Online" section where such things are listed?

I already tried with some people yesterday if it was possible to connect to a dedicated server via using the IP address box under "Local" games tab and it was not. So I think this issue has to be resolved first before we even think about things such as how they will identify for access levels once they are on the server.

The way I see it, there doesn't seem to be any way for players to even connect to a dedicated Crysis 1 server after 31st of May?

PostPosted 06.04.2014, 17:44 
Try "connect <ip-address>" in the console (Example: connect 123.456.7.890).

AEGIS Support

Main Project:
Crysis Mod Patcher

Test Projects:
Left 2 Die
User avatar   Community Manager Community ManagerMember since: 15.05.2013, 17:55Posts: 714Location: Frankfurt, Germany Likes: 205

PostPosted 06.04.2014, 19:10 
Quote by Zi;:

This seems like a strange way to look at games- don't you play them for entertainment, and the experience thy offer you?

As for the news of Gamespy shutting down, we don't have any comment to share with you at this time, sorry.

Follow us on Facebook: /CRYENGINEOfficial
Follow us on Twitter: @CRYENGINE
Talk to me on Twitter: @Com_Raven

PostPosted 06.04.2014, 22:44 
Quote by Cry-Marcel:
Quote by Zi;:

This seems like a strange way to look at games- don't you play them for entertainment, and the experience thy offer you?

As for the news of Gamespy shutting down, we don't have any comment to share with you at this time, sorry.

I meant I spent lot of time on creating server-side mod.
I have just created one big part of mod month ago, which is one huge step forward for 5767 modding and now end must come, when Crysis MP is in it´s best (from modding side) :sad: If you understand... : (
I will miss the game very much :sad: