Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

Post Topic: Re: Far Cry 1 Vs Crysis Vs Crysis 2
PostPosted 02.04.2012, 04:09 
As I said, even when stripped down to the bare gameplay it just throws away everything that made Crysis and Far Cry good. Opting instead to poorly emulate what Halo already perfected.

Multiplayer from Call of Duty, gameplay from Halo and storytelling from hell. The game doesn't have anything good to call its own. And as I said, it's broken anyway. Cover? Doesn't work. AI? Doesn't work. Suit controls? Don't work.
The energy management? What a joke! They seem to literally have just copy pasted the cloaking code from Crysis 1 three times and called it a day, resulting in the ridiculous situation where you can lose armor energy for moving. There's no actual stacking, when you lose energy from sprinting in armor mode, that's not sprinting taking energy, that's the cloak code.
Even something as simple as switching ******* weapons? Completely broken. You can easily confuse it until it stops switching your weapons entirely. AI's remember you through savegames and I could go on and on.

The game doesn't work and isn't good.

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 02.04.2012, 04:24 
Uhm, you should really tell us one thing you like about the game, otherwise it simply looks like you're trolling a game.
You're just saying ''Crysis2.. nah, i don't like it'', try to look at that game from another point of view, play it once more, mod it (the game is made to be modded after all).. there can't be no things at all you like about the game, the game is absolutely not broken, though SOME things are.. indeed.

It's okay, it's your opinion and I'm not going to force you or anything, I'm just trying to let you review your opinion unless you give a serious one, in which there is at least ''one'' thing you like, there surely is.

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 02.04.2012, 05:15 
I like the sound. Games usually have horrible sound, but Crysis 2 goes above and beyond. Comparable to Blu-ray or Laserdisc.

I like the weapon unlocks in MP (also horribly broken, but in concept) in fact I think the nanosuit abilities (were they not broken beyond repair) adds a little extra to otherwise boring gamemodes. Had the netcode not been broken, I might have played it for longer online.

I love the concept of new york as a character, I love the concept of mixing suit modes. (Had these things only been in the actual damn game) I love the design of the nanosuit, I love the Crynet aestethic.

And that's about it. There really are very few good things about the game. Mostly owing to it being profoundly broken. But there are also a lot of bad design choices inbetween the few good design ideas.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 15.12.2007, 19:42Posts: 640 Likes: 0

PostPosted 02.04.2012, 08:38 
In response to your earlier post, Crysis 1 and Far Cry's cutscenes are short enough to avoid making me think about those things, and there weren't really any situations like that in Crysis 1, except if you count right before Core, but that was much "smaller" scale. As I said - I'm not really a fan of it because, even though It is a cool scene - I know much more in general and how they create the scene - I guess it's because as I've learned more I've become much more technical when it comes to sequences in games - and something like the ship falling In Jedi Knight I mentioned earlier just impresses me a lot more because everything that's happening can effect you in some way and it's not just all a collision-less animation that you'd be able to walk right through if you took away the disabled player and bars in the editor since it doesn't require an accurate collision model for a cutscene.
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

PostPosted 02.04.2012, 19:43 
Quote by DevilDante:
You're just saying ''Crysis2.. nah, i don't like it'', try to look at that game from another point of view, play it once more, mod it (the game is made to be modded after all)..

If the game was really made to be modded, we would have somes game code / no Cvar lock in pure game, certainly update for the mod sdk like the free sdk have.. etc...
We cant even have the FGplugin in the Mod sdk when i was something nearly essential during Crysis modding...

If you compare it with what its possible to do with Crysis / Crysis Wars for modding. Crysis2 totaly loose that part too. ( Really saddly ! )
Even if i agree that is nicer ( except for the terrain / terrain texture ) to use the CE3 engine and the sb3.

I mostly think ( very saddly too ) they just wanted to do a Crysis2 to show the CryEngine3 and just make a free sdk.
Crysis2 didnt even had the mod sdk in the retail version, locked .pak because of a crappy made MP.. and they made serval month to throw out a half finished mod sdk version.

Again a huge potencial wasted.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 28.07.2011, 12:22Posts: 550Location: Hong Kong, and sometimes mainland China Likes: 3

PostPosted 02.04.2012, 19:48 
Crysis 1 > Far Cry > Far Cry 2 > Crysis 2

big open levels and a beautiful location, with fun stuff to do
> is much better than >
linear levels and a grim atmosphere

:easter:

I only got halfway through Crysis 2, it was disappointing, but I do understand why they had to dumb it down for the consoles.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 02.04.2012, 20:24 
I will replay Crysis 2 only for find the collectable items, the souvenirs, the vehicle keys (which are useless) and the email messages...

What a waste of money :meh:

PostPosted 02.04.2012, 22:47 
Quote by wootwoots:
Crysis2 didnt even had the mod sdk in the retail version, locked .pak because of a crappy made MP.. and they made serval month to throw out a half finished mod sdk version.

Hell, I remember when all you had to do to "hack" was change values in config files. Before they locked the pak files.

Was very nice for customizing graphics before the utterly useless "advanced" settings. I don't get why MP graphics are forcibly worse than SP. What if my rig can handle it?
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 03.04.2012, 00:41 
Quote by wootwoots:
Quote by DevilDante:
You're just saying ''Crysis2.. nah, i don't like it'', try to look at that game from another point of view, play it once more, mod it (the game is made to be modded after all)..

If the game was really made to be modded, we would have somes game code / no Cvar lock in pure game, certainly update for the mod sdk like the free sdk have.. etc...
We cant even have the FGplugin in the Mod sdk when i was something nearly essential during Crysis modding...

If you compare it with what its possible to do with Crysis / Crysis Wars for modding. Crysis2 totaly loose that part too. ( Really saddly ! )
Even if i agree that is nicer ( except for the terrain / terrain texture ) to use the CE3 engine and the sb3.

I mostly think ( very saddly too ) they just wanted to do a Crysis2 to show the CryEngine3 and just make a free sdk.

Agree, but what I meant to say is that ''there is the possibility to mod the game, so why not do it?''.. I'd also like those freaking CVars to get unlocked, let's see if Maldo can do anything with them in the next update. :(
That is a real shame for Crytek, indeed.

The advanced settings were present in Crysis and Far Cry (if I recall correctly) as well, I wouldn't call them useless, they're very good for fast and easy multiple change of CVars while in-game, why do you have to denigrate anything about this game...?
About MP Graphics.. They're the very same of SP Graphics, at least from what I could see/tweak, I'd like to know more about this though, tell me about any graphic changes you're aware of, might be useful to know. :)

PostPosted 03.04.2012, 01:07 
There's a special config with significantly lower quality that gets loaded in MP. You could edit the config to change your graphics back up, but that's not longer an option.

The problem with "advanced settings" is that they're really no more useful than the single option. They're completely opaque. Tell me, if I wanted to adjust SSAO quality? Which option do I change in "advanced"? All they do is call sys_spec commands anyway. In Crysis this was no issue because all the configs were right there to easily edit.

What I'm saying is, take the real options out of config files and console commands.

PUT THEM IN THE GUI

PostPosted 03.04.2012, 01:11 
So, if you set Graphics quality to Ultra, there are some effects - available in the SP - that won't load or get replaced by other, cheaper effects in MultiPlayer mode ?
Where did you get this info ?
Could you provide more specific infos about which CVars - available in SP - won't load (not even if forced) in MultiPlayer mode ?

Quote:
What I'm saying is, take the real options out of config files and console commands.

PUT THEM IN THE GUI

Well, that could be nice but it was the SAME in Crysis.
When tweaks are available through config. files you want them in the console, when they're available in the console you want them in the GUI, when they are in the GUI you want to be able to change them simply staring at them with your eyes.. don't you think you're asking too much ?
The options (some of them, unfortunately) are there and you can tweak them, either in-game or out of the game, via Cvars or the Console.. that's good, end of the story.

Last edited by DevilDante on 03.04.2012, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted 03.04.2012, 01:13 
I can't remember, draw distance was one. There's a couple of others. You can see the exact settings it loads yourself, just go into the pak file and find the mp config.

Ultra is completely a lost cause, there is no config, they must have hardcoded the config for it or something.

PostPosted 03.04.2012, 01:22 
Yeah, well, in MultiPlayer you can't get endless NanoVision or long range scope on your pistol, you can't cheat and you can't use hacks.. lol, they locked the game too much, uh ? :P

PostPosted 03.04.2012, 01:34 
Quote by DevilDante:
When tweaks are available through config. files you want them in the console, when they're available in the console you want them in the GUI, when they are in the GUI you want to be able to change them simply staring at them with your eyes.. don't you think you're asking too much?
A functional GUI? Why, I must be insane! Lock me up immidiatly! What has the world ever come to when someone wants a functional GUI?

:rolleyes:
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 03.04.2012, 01:37 
The only think I like of Crysis 2 is the Anti-cheat..I hate cheaters..I hate when they teleport...

But that anticheat cost in the modding side...they should copy the Crysis Warhead and Crysis Wars shipping model...That was a good package...