Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9874Location: Finland Likes: 179

Post Topic: Re: CE2 vs CE3
PostPosted 19.06.2012, 13:22 
Quote by please_REboot:
Yes and no. "Personal preference" or "artists creativity" or whatever might be okay as long as you reach a certain quality. But you and others, so far, do not seem to have reached that certain quality in that tropical regard for example with Crysis 2 / CE3 (again, without wanting to insult you).

I'm sorry to disappoint you. This is as far as I'm willing to go here - I don't really find much flaw in my screenshots and I'm really not seeing what it is you see in those CE2 screenshots in order to be able to improve my scene. You still didn't mention by the way, what it is in the CE2 screenshots that's so good - you only mentioned what there is to improve in my screenshots (by quoting VinoBob and iniside instead of applying your own criticism). ;)

For your pleasure, I skimmed through 60 first pages of the original Cryengine Art Thread. Here are some of the best ones I found (most by chicken, Puppy and Vulture):

There are surprisingly few "palm beach" shots to compare. Most of the scenes are really absolutely nothing special, and by no means "better" than your average CE3 scene. The above shots look very nice but nothing too spectacular. Puppy's and Vulture's banana plantations are always nice to look at, though not very valid comparisons to my palm scenes for example (and do you still wonder why there are so many of those banana plantation scenes in the CE2 art thread but not in the CE3 art thread? Because it's a Crysis map).

For the record, there are maybe 5 tropical shots in the first 60 pages of the CE3 art thread (yes I just browsed it through). Do you seriously expect them to be better than the few good-looking ones out of hundreds of CE2 shots?

Plastix: Reflection amount = specular power. It's realistic, live with it. :P

Last edited by the_grim on 19.06.2012, 13:55, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1634 Likes: 197

PostPosted 19.06.2012, 13:37 
Quote by the_grim:
Reflection amount = specular power. It's realistic, live with it. :P

The only one thing matter - desired effect.
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9874Location: Finland Likes: 179

PostPosted 19.06.2012, 13:56 
Quote by Plastix:
The only one thing matter - desired effect.

What is it that you lack in desired effect? ?( Just increase specular power in your material. If you don't like the pronounced highlight from your lightsource then, simply decrease the specular amount of the light / sunlight.

[EDIT] I'm trying to find a CE2 picture of a palm tree against the sky to do a proper comparison with my attempt. I can't find any good-looking ones. These don't even come close in my opinion:

My picture seems to be better by far:
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.02.2012, 20:54Posts: 417 Likes: 10

PostPosted 19.06.2012, 14:27 
Quote by the_grim:
I don't really find much flaw in my screenshots and I'm really not seeing what it is you see in those CE2 screenshots in order to be able to improve my scene.

Again, that sounds so baffling and ridiculous.

Actually so ridiculous that not sure if it would make sense to discuss further with you.

Because either you might have quite a bad taste or you might have quite a different taste.

Who knows which term would be more appropriate.

And, no, that still is not necessarily meant to insult you.

Quote by the_grim:
you only mentioned what there is to improve in my screenshots (by quoting VinoBob and iniside instead of applying your own criticism). ;)

Which is absolutely fine when you just agree with what they wrote, isn't it?

But you not even seem to understand that either?

Never mind.

By the way, what "Plastix" wrote on the last page seems to be quite accurate and not that farfetched:

Quote by Plastix:
Quote by the_grim:
you can disable all those things

This is what i`m trying to say. And without those feature we got almost CryEngine 2 :cheesy:

Exactly.

You (meaning "the_grim" and others) always seem to write that Crysis 2 / CE3 would be so much better than Crysis 1 / CE2 in almost every regard but then you suddenly come up with an argument like:

Quote by the_grim:

:D

That really seems to be ridiculous.

Why can't you just show how you put those newer/better features to good use instead and post as good or ideally even better tropical scenes for example taking advantage of the advanced capabilities of Crysis 2 / CE3, instead of actually suggesting to turn those features/capabilities off? That sounds ridiculous and not like a good argument at all.

Therefore the reaction from "Plastix" seems to be quite understandable, don't you think?

But then again, for some inexplicable reason, you actually seem to think you have surpassed or matched what was achieved with Crysis 1 / CE2 in that (tropical) regard so far already, so you might be the wrong to ask :D :cheesy: :rolleyes: ?

Also, what "Plastix" wrote there:

Quote by Plastix:
A lil bit of simplification: there is two available settings in CE3: «too much» and «not enough». Its hard to find right settings for everything.

does not seem to be that farfetched as well.

Because that is exactly what many of the tropical pictures wich were posted in the Crysis 2 / CE3 section of the forum here seem to reflect as well for example: either they seem to be overdone ("too much") or they seem to "lack" something ("not enough").

Although those are not the most "technical terms", but still.

Last edited by please_REboot on 19.06.2012, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.02.2012, 20:54Posts: 417 Likes: 10

PostPosted 19.06.2012, 14:30 
Sorry, double post, please delete.
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 23.04.2008, 19:49Posts: 3901Location: Horsham, West Sussex Likes: 60

PostPosted 19.06.2012, 14:34 
Quote by Plastix:
Quote by the_grim:

This is what i`m trying to say. And without those feature we got almost CryEngine 2 :cheesy:

Quote by the_grim:
Clearly you just plain don't know how to use the features. I explained on the previous page how it was painful for me to move back to CE2 for a while, and how it was much more intuitive and easy to get the desired result on CE3.

And HP from Crytek also «dont know» how to use those features :cheesy: By the way i`m always using custom cube maps, but i cant do that with CryENGINE® 3 cuz now we dont have relfect amount slider and my custom cm looks horrible. When i`m using CryTIFF plugin - my CM looks even more horrible, but with CryENGINE® 2 everything is perfect! It means when i`m working with CryENGINE® 3 i cant achieve the same effect that i can achieve with CryENGINE® 2 because there is no reflect amount control. They should add 3 more shader params: Reflect Amount, Fresnel Scale and Fresnel Bias for Environment maps/Cube maps/Reflections (like in CE2).

puppy knows how to use those features :D ;) drop me a line (although not too many lines :P) if you need some help :)
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1634 Likes: 197

PostPosted 19.06.2012, 14:39 
Quote by the_grim:
What is it that you lack in desired effect? ?( Just increase specular power in your material. If you don't like the pronounced highlight from your lightsource then, simply decrease the specular amount of the light / sunlight.

If i`ll decrease specular amount of the light / sunlight this will kill speculars on other materials. Also i`m talking ONLY about reflections (environment/cube maps) and not about speculars. I dont wanna touch speculars at all.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11740Location: Nottingham, UK Likes: 89

PostPosted 19.06.2012, 14:46 
This thread has gotten ridiculous. We're willing to have an open discussion of engine features on these forums but if you'll repeatedly insist on ignoring the sensible suggestion that aesthetics and graphical capabilities are only tenuously linked, then this thread will carry on forever.

Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Ex-Crytek, now with Deep Silver Dambuster Studios