General Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 07.04.2014, 14:07Posts: 2 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Price for a small indie game team
PostPosted 09.04.2014, 18:42 
Sorry if this is not the right section, but I contacted cryengine at crytek.c om and no one responded.

We are Aleksa and Damjan. We want to ask you how much we have to pay to get CryEngine license to export games without need of default launcher. A little of history:

We tried Unity engine with FPS Control plugin by TornadoTwins. No luck, because in unity, you have to do SO much work for a single thing to work. Two days ago, I tried UDK, but I don't like it. Neither my friend does.

Then, I found CryEngine 3. At first sight, I were really impressed and I knew that I found the best game engine for our games. I tried the forest example game before about 5 minutes in the time of writing this. I wanted to fall of my chair. I were simply AMAZED what this engine can make as a default thing. I used option 'Export to engine', ran GameSDK.exe and were amazed again. Included multiplayer, graphics options, controls, sound... In Unity, I would spend TONS of hours trying to make a little piece if that. Unity's problem is hat when you buy it for $1500, you have almost nothing. It's like: 'Aha! You want menu when opening your game. OK, no problem. We have a ready made, tested and working menu plugin that can be bought for only $5!' Almost everything you need(and that you have got by default in CryEngine) needs to be bought! You want multiplayer? Nope, not possible. You want a little more advanced menus? OK, pay $90 for NGUI! And so on! Now I look like a fool to myself when I recover old memories: before I wanted to make my own plugin for Unity and I wanted to buy a plugin that generates plugin files.

So, the question is: how much do we have to pay for 2 people to get CryEngine license? Is it life time, monthly, yearly?

Yours sincerely,
Aleksa and Damjan

Last edited by AleksaSavic on 09.04.2014, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 14.03.2011, 19:17Posts: 102Location: FranceStatus: Online Likes: 38

Post Topic: Re: Price for a small indie game team
PostPosted 09.04.2014, 20:00 
I suggest you to wait for the launch of the EaaS program next month.
There are all the info we know so far: http://cryengine.com/news/crytek-announ ... ce-program

And you can still begin the developement right now on the Free SDK and switch to the EaaS program when it will be launched.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 18:08Posts: 449 Likes: 26

PostPosted 09.04.2014, 20:11 
I don't wanna come across like an ass or dampen your experience with cryengine, but really dude a simple search and you can answer all your questions. At the moment the engine is free to use but around May they are changing it to some subscription based option. I think it was $10 or 10e i dunno.

Anyways I hope you enjoy your time using cryengine.

Lead Level Designer @ open Outcast
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 07.04.2014, 14:07Posts: 2 Likes: 0

PostPosted 09.04.2014, 20:21 
Thank you for quick answers. I have seen EaaS program before but haven't taken it really seriously. Now I am eagerly waiting for it to be launched! :p I'll learn as much as I can about CryEngine and how it works. Can I use Forest scene as a scene for my game?
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 10381Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 512

PostPosted 09.04.2014, 20:23 
You can learn from the forest demo scene and make your own :)

< Vascotia Studios >

Image   Image   Image   Image   Image

NO support via PM!
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5323Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 112

PostPosted 10.04.2014, 03:59 
You can use any of the default assets for a non-commercial project. If you're aiming to obtain a full licence and sell your game, then all assets must be your own. :)

Last edited by RayFan9876 on 15.93.2014, 05:29, edited 58 times in total.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 09.02.2012, 03:19Posts: 222Location: Sri Lanka Likes: 22

PostPosted 10.04.2014, 12:39 
Quote by RayFan9876:
You can use any of the default assets for a non-commercial project. If you're aiming to obtain a full licence and sell your game, then all assets must be your own. :)

Does this include character animations. It seems to be very difficult to create thousands of animations.

My Tutorials : http://www.3dtutips.com
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 10381Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 512

PostPosted 10.04.2014, 12:41 
Animations are assets. It's not difficult to create animations, just time consuming, like game development is.

< Vascotia Studios >

Image   Image   Image   Image   Image

NO support via PM!
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 09.02.2012, 03:19Posts: 222Location: Sri Lanka Likes: 22

PostPosted 10.04.2014, 18:50 
Quote by Lavizh:
Animations are assets. It's not difficult to create animations, just time consuming, like game development is.

Looks like I need to work hard :)

My Tutorials : http://www.3dtutips.com