Inside and Outside the Box

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.12.2007, 12:38Posts: 1234Location: The Netherlands, Boxmeer Likes: 16

Post Topic: Journey to the sun, Duruk Entry thread
PostPosted 06.09.2011, 13:19 
Name: Journey to the sun
Author: Dennis "Duruk" Schenkel
Story: In 2058 the new world order the C.E.L.L. have discovered the location of the last alien outpost in our solar system. Hidden by the sun's radiation the alien outpost has finally been found. Now in 2172 scientist have made it possible to finally pay the aliens a visit. Its payback time ! Sound the alert.

Setting / background info: The screenshots settings are from when the Human ship goes into high alert.
I had never made a scifi environment before but the beauty of scifi is that I could experiment with a whole different color scheme for the lights then I could have done with a modern day setting. First I tried normal white colors ( http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz33 ... xtured.jpg ) for a setting for the interior based on a moon landscape, but it was only after I placed the warning lights and made them orange/red that I changed the whole lighting to the way it looks now.
Extra credits: Nasa for the images on the TV screen. And a big thanks to all the people who helped me to point out how to pose the characters.

Inspirations: Alien (first movie when the ship goes into alert), Deadspace, Solaris & Sunshine.

Progress: download available: download/file.php?id=70955

Proof of Box:
Box at start of the progress
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz33 ... roof-1.jpg
And the final single solid box on the left:
On the left I copied the single solid box on the right you can see the box and all of its other objects and solids.

Final result:

Short video to see how the whole room (box) looks like:

Music: Cliff Martinez - soundtrack Solaris

Last edited by Duruk on 19.09.2011, 15:06, edited 41 times in total.

User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 30.07.2008, 00:36Posts: 3934Location: Sthlm, Sweden Likes: 44

Post Topic:
PostPosted 06.09.2011, 14:23 
Story, what? :P Anyway, that's a lot of solids for such a small place. Looking forward seeing the inside.

And you can't add stuff on the outside, that would make it out of proportion.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.12.2007, 12:38Posts: 1234Location: The Netherlands, Boxmeer Likes: 16

Post Topic: Re:
PostPosted 06.09.2011, 14:44 
Quote by The Vulture:
And you can't add stuff on the outside, that would make it out of proportion.

Yes we can as long as the box is 14x10x4m.
From the rules:
Quote:
Holes can be placed in the room (wall windows, roof skylights, etc).

Quote:
You are allowed to place whatever you want outside of the room for background scenery but it will only be viewable through the windows (i.e; screenshots outside of the room do not count).

User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5104Status: Online Likes: 231

Post Topic: Re: Think Inside & Outside The Box, Duruk Entry thread
PostPosted 06.09.2011, 14:57 
we must make thread for each entry...? :(

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 02.07.2011, 05:47Posts: 142 Likes: 1

PostPosted 06.09.2011, 15:45 
Haha nice!! A lotta solids I see... Mine has a little story to it too ;) I'm really excited to see it!

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 01.12.2009, 22:36Posts: 737Location: Egypt Likes: 1

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 16:33 
The number of solids made me quit my entry yesterday but today I was bored so I'm continuing.. (Really true story)
I'll be waiting for the final result ;)

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 17:32 
Quote by XaldiN-76:
The number of solids made me quit my entry yesterday but today I was bored so I'm continuing.. (Really true story)

Don't quit. I've deleted alot of solids now that the structure is nearing its completion.

I started on the textures now, with just 1 week I have to recycle and mix some older textures.
Hopefully I have enough time for plan B an extension of the room for the view outside the windows.

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 21:01 
Progress update:
So far I created the bulkhead and added some lights. I still have to texture the room, model the back wall and add more objects. The outside area is 50% ready, once the room is finished I will relocate it to the exterior area. Only then will you see the exterior.
The room was created with solids. (except for the tv-screens, pipes and cables)
I'm creating the textures atm (or mixing older textures that I have)
Additional credits: Nasa (for the textures on the tv screens)

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 21:53 
Could someone please explain me how I can pose a character for the screenshot.

Ive placed my question in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=323&t=74717

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 01.12.2009, 22:36Posts: 737Location: Egypt Likes: 1

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 12:15 
The picture looks very awesome good work bro :D

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9869Location: Finland Likes: 176

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 12:19 
Looks really good, I like the lighting style - although you could use a bit more colours than pure orange... :)

You can pose characters also in flow graph - Animations:PlayAnimation node should give you a wider list of animations than track view. Though (in Sandbox 2) I've been able to add pretty much any animation there is, including all cinematics animations... That depends on the character model used though.

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 12:22 
Quote by the_grim:
Looks really good, I like the lighting style - although you could use a bit more colours than pure orange... :)

You can pose characters also in flow graph - Animations:PlayAnimation node should give you a wider list of animations than track view. Though (in Sandbox 2) I've been able to add pretty much any animation there is, including all cinematics animations... That depends on the character model used though.

Thnx XaldiN-76 and the_grim for the compliments.

@the_grim ill try that, though I'm just starting with flowgraphs.

As for the color. There will be a big source from the outside (The Sun) that will be yellowish/orange.
The warning lights are on and light is dimmed to red/orange as the ship has raised its alert level.

I styled it with the influence of the dark "Alien" the first movie. With a deep dark orange color, as the ship went into alert mode.

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 17:11 
Working on the outside atm:

Still todo, more details inside and outside
and hopefully I can manage to get the humans to sit.

update: fixed a floating decal (observation room 3)

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 17:19 
Are you looking for sitting animations? There's some for civilians at "central station" (check attached pic)

By the way the first "inside" picture isn't clear that it's space so I didn't know :unsure:
Attachments:

Capture.PNG

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 17:25 
Quote by XaldiN-76:
Are you looking for sitting animations? There's some for civilians at "central station" (check attached pic)

By the way the first "inside" picture isn't clear that it's space so I didn't know :unsure:

Thanks. I somehow can't see those animations in the central station section. I have a different list.

The sun was added later then the first image. Im still doing the outside atm.

Last edited by Duruk on 12.09.2011, 11:18, edited 2 times in total.