View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.11.2007, 07:47Posts: 2021Location: Canberra, Australia Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 09:32 
how can you have more than one layer on a ground texture?

Do you have to set it up in the image program first?

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 02.11.2007, 21:34Posts: 925Location: Birmingham, UK Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 10:10 
Quote:
Originally posted by test
im sorry its just that im trying to know if this is from sandbox or not , if it is , then wow , ima get busy with my ground textures too , but i doubt it .

Thats in 3ds/maya. You can tell as he's put in a player scale. (the box).

Still, as long as he renders it properly it'll look pretty much the same, although it'd need to be a high res texture and also work on his tiling.

Trainee TraineeMember since: 18.05.2008, 10:28Posts: 123 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 15:13 
trust me , it will never look that good once in sandbox

Last edited by test on 25.06.2008, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.12.2007, 20:29Posts: 521Location: Germany Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 16:15 
I am sorry , I never meant to confuse someone, but these renders are not made in Sandbox, although I made myself all the tiny objects you see in the pictures, so I could indeed port them in Sandbox and maybe they will look similar.

Once I didn't found a texture on the internet for a special leaf and I even went outside with a camera to make photos and to hunt for textures.

I only said that I reach the same conclusion as test, and I spent a few weeks (yeah I know - it's a lot for only a stupid ground) trying to make that ground. Well I didn't spent so much building that ground, but learning and making all the objects and learning how to arrange those objects procedurally ..and so on.

And as these are not textures, but real 3d objects, due to the high polygon count, I don't think these would work in a real-time game. But since I'm making a movie (not real-time but filmed and then edited) I can afford to include in Sandbox all the objects I need. I even set out a special command . When I press it, the viewport becomes "lighter" allowing me to move in realtime.

Even if I worked alot for that ground I don't think it compares to what test did. His pictures are alot more amazing since they were produced with only the Sandbox :)

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9828Location: Finland Likes: 161

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 16:23 
sebastian___: Is there any chance these objects could be optimized for use in Cryengine mods? Reducing the polycount and substituting some of it with careful normal-mapping? I agree that the ground is a very important aspect in creating convincing environments, and these kinds of assets would no doubt prove very useful. ;) A Low-res, flat ground can really ruin the look of a scene... The ground leaves in Crysis already look great, and they could probably be improved a lot by increasing the texture resolution, but I'd love some ground objects in similar style that in your images. :)
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 11.12.2007, 04:17Posts: 300Location: Sunny southern California! Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 16:32 
Actually, would it be possible to create some form of decal, using an image file of that awesome ground you made procedurally, then lay it out on ground in Crysis and with... was it POM? Whatever it is that allows decals to -appear- 3D, I can't remember the technical name of that feature at the moment. But it's what, for example, raises decals of tank tracks in the ground to allow it to appear 3D. Because that could be pretty awesome.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.05.2008, 12:26Posts: 470Location: Denmark Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 16:38 
Test are you ever going to release a pack with you trees and plants?

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 16.12.2007, 06:20Posts: 1918Location: Florida, USA Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 16:42 
Quote:
Originally posted by Sepha
Actually, would it be possible to create some form of decal, using an image file of that awesome ground you made procedurally, then lay it out on ground in Crysis and with... was it POM? Whatever it is that allows decals to -appear- 3D, I can't remember the technical name of that feature at the moment. But it's what, for example, raises decals of tank tracks in the ground to allow it to appear 3D. Because that could be pretty awesome.

Parralax occlusion mapping ;) That could work, but I think it works differently than that...

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.12.2007, 20:29Posts: 521Location: Germany Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 16:56 
the_grim : probably yes. It's possible to make them all low-poly and stuff. And as Sepha said using POM and normal mapping and so on. But as you said, some of the grounds in Crysis look already great so I don't know if it would worth the effort.

Yes , some of the grounds look flat and "game-like" but other grounds look pretty good. For example some forest grounds have details like leaves and so on.

Unfortunately right now I am very busy with that movie, but maybe I could talk to someone, a friend, and convince her to do this - export the objects and trying to make a Crysis preset.

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 20.11.2007, 21:07Posts: 771Location: Germany Likes: 49

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 20:16 
Okay here are some pics I made in the forest near my house today which may interest you and ehich you can also use as texture basics. These are mostly leave pictures of small plants( I've made more pics of many more different leaves) can you do textures of these and upload them please?!? Have fun
Attachments:

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 04.11.2007, 19:57Posts: 53 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 20:31 
Hm, they are not sharp enough, will always and ever say it, cgtextures.com are the best, if you look there you will finde nice highres textures, but i think you know that..
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.02.2008, 17:24Posts: 2604Location: sweden Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 20:33 
the last picture i hate that plant it burns .. i did fell down in a hole bunch of them before aouch

RIP Pepsi 1999-2010. Computer 8 gb ram 460 gtx 1 gb amd phenom II x4
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 02.11.2007, 21:34Posts: 925Location: Birmingham, UK Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 20:34 
xtreme, go back out there with a piece of white paper. Put the paper on the other side of the leaves so the leaf sits on it. Then photograph it in focus ;)

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 24.11.2007, 15:17Posts: 33Location: Holland Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 20:37 
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Guybrush II
xtreme, go back out there with a piece of white paper. Put the paper on the other side of the leaves so the leaf sits on it. Then photograph it in focus ;)

Protip here.
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 10.01.2006, 22:49Posts: 167Location: Edmonton(Wetaskiwin),Canada Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.06.2008, 23:17 
I was out taking photos of the forests in my area.
Taken with Nikon D-SLR

I would really like to try make these realistic trees but can't get xsi to export properly. Is there any tutorials regarding "preparing model for export". One that goes though the errors and gives accurate solution for each one. Now that i have a D-SLR i can make high quality textures up to 2048x2048.

I would like to get to modeling. unlike my farcry trees I don't have the poly, Tex limits of the old engine.

Avatar unavailable due to it not getting uploaded!

Last edited by Torque86 on 25.06.2008, 23:32, edited 5 times in total.