View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 14.11.2007, 03:25Posts: 905Location: Sweden Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 15:19 

Last edited by aNoN_ on 04.02.2008, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 04.11.2007, 04:22Posts: 242Location: UK Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 15:19 
Nope i'm being plain honest, you move at a blistering pace with this stuff. Texturing takes me a long time.
  Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 14.11.2007, 03:25Posts: 905Location: Sweden Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 15:21 
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW335i
Nothing wrong with the textures - may want to up the saturation or change gama though.

Also be careful when distributing commercial textures with models - most comm textures are sold with the intent to be used in rendering and not redistribution with models - check your license rights.

aNoN_ - Recomend you find a nicer way to make constructive comments or make your own textures. ;)

Yes, its something wrong with those textures. They are not looking good, looks like textures from Max payne 2 or something. Doesn't belong to crysis and the rest of the good textures on his map. Or perhaps you need glasses?

And i dont need your recomendations kid. I think his map looks awesome, but those walltextures on that pic didn't look good. Everyone has the right to their own opinions so stop telling me what to do and not to do. I aint working with textures, i am specilizing on images on programs like photoshop.

OT, Darfid man make better textures for that wall, otherwise a brilliant map :)

Last edited by aNoN_ on 04.02.2008, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 15.04.2007, 17:26Posts: 165Location: France Likes: 5

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 15:40 
don't fight dudes !! i'm open for critics positiv or negativ. But with a explication not a simple syntax like this : " its bad make better "

I'll try to make better this wall texture, you say its not good because its unclear, i explain for texturing a wall i have different technique :

1 - i UNWRAP map or tiles the wall and i take a high size texture of 1024 by 1024 like games (GOW - or last Unreal.) its better But its take a lot of memory ressource because a 1024 X 1024 map for diffuse and Spec and Normal its take average more than 2 MO or higher depend of the number of color and compression plugin with a grafik card of 128 MO you are dead with a 256 MO you suck. And i want to optimise the level for all Platform.

2 - In crysis, Crytek use Generally 512 X 512 tillate texture with a good Detail map, A map with Bump detail not a normal map. I actualy use this method to texture all my map and asset and everything, i use only 512 X 512, if you zoom a lot in crysis some asset texture are No clear, Bloom ( like COD 4 modern warfare) but they compensate this by using Detail map (generally 256 by 256 or 512 by 256) for give a nice bump touch. Its a WIP MAP i haven't create for now the detail map, and bump / normal, its normal you see that in fact.

Crysis uses large texture map 1024 x 1024 ONLY for characters and very large Asset or building, You are maybe do a good critic, perhaps i must to Kick up the texture size for this large storage house. I'll work this question. :))

see next update :))

Last edited by Darfid on 04.02.2008, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 16:16 
Merci! Thanks for explaining. Now i understand why it looks no good. Man i remember what you were talking about:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102553
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 19.05.2007, 11:07Posts: 156Location: Buried 1.5m under ground Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 16:41 
texture are amazing. I really look forward to see play this industry map.

all the dirt and rust reminds me of stalker.

User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10126Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 493

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 17:09 
WHAT A MESS!!!

I love it! :D :D

Whoever thought something so ugly could be so beautiful at the same time ;( (happy tears)

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 23.11.2007, 06:41Posts: 1257Location: United States Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 17:48 
The wall texture in the last image isn't very good. The resolution is probably fine but the actual texture looks far too messy.

Good job anyways, it takes me a long time to get textures to look right. Mostly due to the fact that I am a perfectionist. :D

Modeler/Level Designer
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 15.04.2007, 17:26Posts: 165Location: France Likes: 5

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2008, 18:59 
DavsTaylor : thx man lol a deal with crytek ! Why not ?!

aNoN_ : yeah its exactly your link its the problem of normal map with the indirect lighting.

sierra : Thx for the stalker referencie for me its a great post-apocalyptik game.

Shinanigans : Thanck's a lot man.

Adius_Omega : yeah i know i'll fix the "problem" of the wall texture resolution for a better final render. I'm too a stupid perfectionist its a real problem when you making a map. LOL :D

see next

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 03:38Posts: 582Location: Kentucky Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.02.2008, 00:39 
Quote:
Originally posted by aNoN_
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW335i
Nothing wrong with the textures - may want to up the saturation or change gama though.

Also be careful when distributing commercial textures with models - most comm textures are sold with the intent to be used in rendering and not redistribution with models - check your license rights.

aNoN_ - Recomend you find a nicer way to make constructive comments or make your own textures. ;)

Yes, its something wrong with those textures. They are not looking good, looks like textures from Max payne 2 or something. Doesn't belong to crysis and the rest of the good textures on his map. Or perhaps you need glasses?

And i dont need your recomendations kid. I think his map looks awesome, but those walltextures on that pic didn't look good. Everyone has the right to their own opinions so stop telling me what to do and not to do. I aint working with textures, i am specilizing on images on programs like photoshop.

OT, Darfid man make better textures for that wall, otherwise a brilliant map :)

You're right every one is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that "UTTER CHEAP" is not constructive nor helpful. As to calling me a "kid" I'm probably one of the oldest on this site and more experienced than most.

It's amazing how quick you went off on my telling you to find a nicer way of expressing yourself - makes me wonder about your maturity.

Darfid and others - I apologize for this bickering and will end it here.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.02.2008, 02:10 
Small update
the building near the storage house with steam pipe.

BMW335i : you don't have to apologize my old friend, your reaction was appropriate because the word "Utter Cheat" its not very delicate I think that the person concerned has understood with a good explanation of how it works. You are certainly experienced your advice is valuable, you has me already helped in the past, so do not desert this post please. Final point.

screenshot :

See next upload...i 'm go to bed so K.O

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 03:38Posts: 582Location: Kentucky Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.02.2008, 03:13 
Darfid - I'm flattered and humbled - if I can help with any thing else please let me know.

By the way have you tried any of the TODs from pydon?

Natural Mod for Crysis

I only used the TOD settings and not the whole mod for the other levels. It made a big difference on how things looked in my Cassidy. (I should update my screen shots soon)

Later
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 30.10.2007, 04:15Posts: 1407 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.02.2008, 04:13 
Great stuff. I found Pydon's TOD files to work poorly for custom maps however as they were designed to look great specifically on the retail single player missions (they were missing things such as night settings and they also do not work right unless you have high shader settings turned on).

I seriously can't wait for this. Got any plan on gameplay or is this more or less going on a kind of "artist's design" and then you will worry about the AI later :tongue:

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.02.2008, 06:49 
KorJax - You're right about anything lower than high using Pydon's TOD but then I'm moding for a select audience that will be using high (since I'm picking the computers and cards they will be using - US Army) here's a Cassidy screen shot from the editor (no AA) late afternoon on a slightly foggy afternoon and Config Spec = high (BTW this is the 8k version including 3 other sites not shown)

Main reason I suggested the TODs was to maybe give Darfid a quick way to add some AO and deeper shadows rather than tweaking manually - with all the options Crytek gave us we could tweak forever trying to get it perfect.

When ever I'm doing a new animation and I keep tweaking reflections, shadows, translucency, radiosity, textures etc. and taking a little extra time - my boss is always saying "Perfection is the enemy of good" and that he is ok with good if it's on time.
Attachments:

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 18.12.2007, 16:36Posts: 159Location: Eindhoven Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.02.2008, 17:35 
wow... nice overview.
But with those road texturs.. maybe you can use another road textures and use the road tool to manually add those lines. :D

@ Darfid how big is your map gonna be?

Last edited by D_Dog on 05.02.2008, 17:37, edited 2 times in total.