View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 13.01.2008, 01:17Posts: 734Location: United States Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 09.07.2008, 02:59 
Quote:
Originally posted by ZapWizard
Quote:
Originally posted by mackan4762
great zapwizard :D
offtopic why are you not a crymod staff member anymore you are know only a normal member why does that come ?

I volunteered to go off the staff. I barely have enough free time at home to mod, which I enjoy the most. I don't have extra time to moderate and edit the wiki.

So now he's just a mere mortal like the rest of us lol :tongue:

Current projects:
Casus Belli
Apheleon (former Space Cowboys/Petrograd guys)

My portfolio

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 24.03.2008, 03:14Posts: 1532Location: Australia Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 09.07.2008, 03:49 
Awesome, hopefully the story can live up to your mapping skills. And that last picture has really got me interested in this. Cheers

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Stephen Conroy: 15.05.2010 14:50.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.02.2008, 15:59Posts: 491Location: The universe,Solar system,earth,Uk Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.07.2008, 15:31 
Looking good :) Is there any chance you could tell me how you got the vtol to work in space/zero gravity ?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 30.10.2007, 04:15Posts: 1407 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.07.2008, 18:03 
Quote:
Originally posted by woo482
Looking good :) Is there any chance you could tell me how you got the vtol to work in space/zero gravity ?

It's most likely done with a trackview animatimation, and not being an actual flight going on.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.11.2007, 23:08Posts: 1333Location: Austin, TX Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 06:46 
Quote:

It flies just fine inside a GravitySphere, except for straight-up, and straight-down thrust.
To make it move up and down I detect if the player is inside the VTOL.
Then I detect SPACE and LCTRL (Up and down) when those are pressed I apply a impulse action on the VTOL in the up or down direction.

There are a few other tweaks:
v_altitudeLimit=1024 so it can fly up high above the darn water you can't ever see to completely be rid of.

Vehicle:VehicleMoveActionMult where I increase the maneuverability of it by 2x so it flies easier.

Not related to the VTOL but a few zerog tweaks for the player:
pl_zeroGFloatDuration=99 (Player floats forever with no dampening, just like real-space)
pl_zeroGGyroStrength=0 (Player orientation doesn't self-level)

Here is where I am at on the model of the International Space Station.
Currently the model is 1:1 scale and built using all in-game objects. (XSI refuses to work on this PC) See the VTOL for current scale. The final scale will probably be 2X just to make it more playable.

Large Image

Also here is how much story has been written so far:
http://www.crymod.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27022

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 31.03.2008, 11:16Posts: 4643Location: Brisbane, Australia Likes: 1

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 06:52 
omg.. thats an awseome space station/ satelite..

Very high effects on low settings, The Ultimate Low Config

Last edited by squeak_38 on 11.07.2008, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 13.01.2008, 01:17Posts: 734Location: United States Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 07:02 
Quote:
v_altitudeLimit=1024 so it can fly up high above the darn water you can't ever see to completely be rid of.

???
Why can't you get the water to go away? ?(

Current projects:
Casus Belli

My portfolio
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.04.2008, 22:59Posts: 2169Location: United States Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 13:04 
Would you care to tell us what objects you used and how you implemented them to make the station? I think it would be very interesting to us to learn how to make new objects out of the assets we already have.

Last edited by Deodys on 11.07.2008, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.11.2007, 23:08Posts: 1333Location: Austin, TX Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 17:02 
Quote:
Originally posted by ben72227
???
Why can't you get the water to go away? ?(

No matter how you make your level if you set the water level to 0, or even a negative number, remove the textures, turn off wind, etc.etc... the game engine still puts an ocean at elevation zero.

To counter this I have to move all the object up to around 500 elevation so that it lowers the chance that you will ever notice.

There are a few other bugs with space type levels.
If you try and leave the moon in the game then you end up with two moons! One opposite the other in the sphere. I think that the game engine only uses a texture for half of the sky and then mirrors it on the other side.

Well I replaced the moon texture with the earth so that it remains fixed in space, which looks a lot better then if I textured a sphere. But then you end up with a second one up-side-down if you happen to turn around and look the other way.
So I made a huge wall on that side and textured it with stars that match the existing stars to hide the 2nd earth. It turned out pretty good doing it that way.

The space station currently as shown is made up of nearly all flat wall pieces, pipes, and beams from the carrier model. Re-textured and scaled properly.
The interior model for the station will be tough, as you will have to able to navigate inside, as well as look outside and still see the space station.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.04.2008, 22:59Posts: 2169Location: United States Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 17:03 
Doesn't scaling them distort them geometrey so you can go right through it?

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 18:29 
Quote:
Originally posted by FullClip UK

Usually if they're scaled properly this isn't a problem - it's only a problem if you only scale just one axis of the object.

Thanks for the info regarding the water Zap - that should come in handy if I ever make a space level. :easter:

Current projects:
Casus Belli

My portfolio
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 28.12.2007, 05:42Posts: 1414Location: Hell, seriously. Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 18:59 
That some awesome work you're doing there Zappy, very nice. I may just have to use your UAV Idea/Concept in my own map, it'd be a nice little addition to my enemy forces. Of course it wouldn't be exact, but still. Impressive work man, keep it up :)

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 22:01 
Quote:
Originally posted by FullClip UK

Yes, but in the case of the space station I will have to make most of the objects so they don't have physics, because I will have to put the interior model inside the exterior model as you can look out the windows.
So for a lot of the areas I will have to re-build the physical barriers by using solids.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 30.10.2007, 04:15Posts: 1407 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 23:18 
Quote:
Quote:

It flies just fine inside a GravitySphere, except for straight-up, and straight-down thrust.
To make it move up and down I detect if the player is inside the VTOL.
Then I detect SPACE and LCTRL (Up and down) when those are pressed I apply a impulse action on the VTOL in the up or down direction.

Vehicle:VehicleMoveActionMult where I increase the maneuverability of it by 2x so it flies easier.

Not related to the VTOL but a few zerog tweaks for the player:
pl_zeroGFloatDuration=99 (Player floats forever with no dampening, just like real-space)
pl_zeroGGyroStrength=0 (Player orientation doesn't self-level)

Here is where I am at on the model of the International Space Station.
Currently the model is 1:1 scale and built using all in-game objects. (XSI refuses to work on this PC) See the VTOL for current scale. The final scale will probably be 2X just to make it more playable.

Large Image

Also here is how much story has been written so far:
http://www.crymod.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27022

Incredible! McGuyver of Sandbox 2 strikes again :P

It's abit annoying whenever I create a new material I have to deal with an engine crash, which has prevented me from trying to do anything requiring me to make lots of new materials :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Quote:
No matter how you make your level if you set the water level to 0, or even a negative number, remove the textures, turn off wind, etc.etc... the game engine still puts an ocean at elevation zero.

To counter this I have to move all the object up to around 500 elevation so that it lowers the chance that you will ever notice.

There are a few other bugs with space type levels.
If you try and leave the moon in the game then you end up with two moons! One opposite the other in the sphere. I think that the game engine only uses a texture for half of the sky and then mirrors it on the other side.

Well I replaced the moon texture with the earth so that it remains fixed in space, which looks a lot better then if I textured a sphere. But then you end up with a second one up-side-down if you happen to turn around and look the other way.
So I made a huge wall on that side and textured it with stars that match the existing stars to hide the 2nd earth. It turned out pretty good doing it that way.

The space station currently as shown is made up of nearly all flat wall pieces, pipes, and beams from the carrier model. Re-textured and scaled properly.
The interior model for the station will be tough, as you will have to able to navigate inside, as well as look outside and still see the space station.

I never had that water problem with my map. I made a noobish design move and had the bottom of my map at the elevation of zero, which would cause water to show up even when lowered that much.

To fix this, in the terrain editor there was a setting to "Remove Water" if I remember correctly, which effectively deletes the ocean water from the map.

What about your moon issue you had though? You set the Moon's texture to be that of an earth and it reflected it twice? That doesn't make much sense. For me, the moon displays only once all around the map, UNLESS it renders the other moon under the terrain, in which I would be wrong and can understand your now solved issue.

Last edited by KorJax on 11.07.2008, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 17.12.2007, 10:30Posts: 373Location: UK, London Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.07.2008, 23:44 
Quote:

did you also use that technique for the bottom of the map ? Because from my experience creating a space level, even with water level at 0 and all, the bottom of the map is just pitch black and it really breaks the feeling of being in space compared to the stars and other thing you can put in around the "skybox" area of the map.