View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 07.03.2010, 05:06Posts: 15Location: Can't Pronounce it, Netherlands Likes: 0

Post Topic: [WIP] NASA Stanford Torus / Map Title: Virgo
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 03:49 

After watching Battlestar Galactica on Friday it gave me the urge to get back into map making and modelling.

Brief
Set in the near distant future following the basis of Firefly (Earth’s resources were too few to support our numbers), you are on board a NASA Stanford Torus based station named Virgo. Terraforming has yet to complete on given planets so residents settle into their new homes onboard Virgo for generations waiting. It is set in deep space with zero g and artificial gravity. This map is more of show piece than game play so during testing keep that in mind, it's more of a movie much like how MGS franchise is set with cinematic cut sequences. This map has an entire story and as you play you shall find out that been in the forces is not all it’s cranked up to be.

Wiki: NASA Stanford Torus

Storyline
Drifters are what planetary people call others who were born on a Resident Space Station. Been a Drifter yourself you have struggled to find purpose living on Virgo as everything has been provided for you, after finishing college you decide to join the forces.

Having worked your way up you are now part of the Special Forces nicknamed G-FORCE for several years, hired by a private firm who owns the Colony station Virgo. During a routine jump to the inner planets the fusion reactor malfunctioned causing the station to do an emergency halt to unknown co-ordinates.

You awaken to the emergency siren code Red Alpha 99 (Reactor Halt), after been briefed by your officer on the status, they ask you and the team to carry out risky missions in an attempt to restart the fusion reactor. Most of the station residents have been evacuated to the secondary hold but some have refused to leave. Whilst completing your missions you find there’s something else in the darkness.

Inspiration
Mostly based around anime series and films (too many to name). Also sifi series such as Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Star Trek etc... and with a bit of Alien

Goal
To make a map which is not an island or jungle but to have as many details as possibly aloud by the cryengine before it crashes. FPS will be low but I am aiming for min. 25fps with a 470GFX (average 30-40's).

Issues
Already reached sketchup's limit on triangles (none responsive for several minutes when changing camera angle). This now means I shall have to break it down into more multiples than I wanted.

Screen shots
28/11/10 - Few model shots of station Virgo whilst toying with ideas.

Concept shot for poster.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7535/virgo2.jpg
4 Segments = 4 Degrees of the circle

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9239/virgo3.jpg
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8448/virgo4.jpg
Ceiling window, 10m Diameter each

Trailer and Videos
Coming Soon

Last edited by Ternix on 20.06.2011, 01:03, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 01.02.2008, 03:16Posts: 1285Location: JUNKER HQ Likes: 4

Post Topic: RE: NASA Stanford Torus / Map Title: Virgo
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 04:36 
Quote:
Originally posted by Ternix

Goal
To make a map which is not an island or jungle but to have as many details as possibly aloud by the cryengine before it crashes. FPS will be low but I am aiming for min. 25fps with a 470GFX (average 30-40's).

Issues
Already reached sketchup's limit on triangles (none responsive for several minutes when changing camera angle). This now means I shall have to break it down into more multiples than I wanted.

This sounds like an interesting project man, and more original than most mods around here, and I'll be on the look-out for updates :]

Just a thought: I think it's a really bad move though to make a mod that almost nobody can run without having a beast of a machine...
I'd suggest trying NOT to go over the top with poly-counts, and actually work on making a great mod that is optimized for the majority of PC users. ;)

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 07.03.2010, 05:06Posts: 15Location: Can't Pronounce it, Netherlands Likes: 0

Post Topic: RE: NASA Stanford Torus / Map Title: Virgo
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 14:02 
Quote:
Originally posted by Ash712
This sounds like an interesting project man, and more original than most mods around here, and I'll be on the look-out for updates :]

Just a thought: I think it's a really bad move though to make a mod that almost nobody can run without having a beast of a machine...
I'd suggest trying NOT to go over the top with poly-counts, and actually work on making a great mod that is optimized for the majority of PC users. ;)

I have been thinking about that and was wondering is there 2 different model files one for low poly and the other high for when choosing options in Graphics settings?

If yes then I have an idea to make it playable for those who cant do the high poly count. This way it keeps me happy and busy :D
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 16.06.2008, 22:11Posts: 4307Location: Oulu, Finland Likes: 7

Post Topic:
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 14:23 
Nice idea, but how about the gravity? Is it all zero gravity and if not how it's applied to torus?

Zip-line release 2012-04-24 (for CE2 & CE3) · C1 mod project: A mod called Entry
Assets · Blender: Destroyable object tutorial for CryBlend

- currently lost in New Eden -

Post Topic:
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 14:41 
Quote:
Originally posted by Talvipakkanen
Nice idea, but how about the gravity? Is it all zero gravity and if not how it's applied to torus?

If I understand you correctly, in the story the gravity is applied by the rotation of the ring. In this ship the fusion reactor powers most of the ship but during the outage a small emergency power plant is powered up for primary devices such as artificial gravity and emergency lighting. Life support is not needed immediately.

Zero G is applied in several of the missions including space walking and traveling through parts of the ship without artificial gravity like that of the loading dock.

It's a very large map and the unfinished story board is quite large.

Ash712: Did you ever finish your project SNATCHER?
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 16.06.2008, 22:11Posts: 4307Location: Oulu, Finland Likes: 7

Post Topic:
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 14:55 
Quote:
Quote:

If I understand you correctly, in the story the gravity is applied by the rotation of the ring. In this ship the fusion reactor powers most of the ship but during the outage a small emergency power plant is powered up for primary devices such as artificial gravity and emergency lighting. Life support is not needed immediately.

Zero G is applied in several of the missions including space walking and traveling through parts of the ship without artificial gravity like that of the loading dock.

I mean how gravity is applied to the torus structure when player moves there. As it is circular, standard gravity is not applicable. Are you using GravityBoxes or other physics entities?

Zip-line release 2012-04-24 (for CE2 & CE3) · C1 mod project: A mod called Entry

Post Topic:
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 15:28 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I mean how gravity is applied to the torus structure when player moves there. As it is circular, standard gravity is not applicable. Are you using GravityBoxes or other physics entities?

At this stage I don't know how I shall implement the gravity, tempted to just use standard gravity as the size of this Torus is massive and this isn't a free roam city. If I was to have multiple segments used in one scene then each segment playable will have its own GravityBox.

Each 1 Degree segment is 500m long, 2000m wide and Torus is 57Km Diameter, 180Km Circumference, if fully constructed that’s 360,000Km2 of city space.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 15:35 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

At this stage I don't know how I shall implement the gravity, tempted to just use standard gravity as the size of this Torus is massive and this isn't a free roam city. If I was to have multiple segments used in one scene then each segment playable will have its own GravityBox.

Each 1 Degree segment is 500m long, 2000m wide and Torus is 57Km Diameter, 180Km Circumference, if fully constructed that’s 360,000Km2 of city space.

Ok, that makes sense :happy:

Post Topic:
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 21:43 
Quick post, for those of you that don't understand how big this really is in game world.

Mesa map with just 1/360 segments.

Last edited by Ternix on 29.11.2010, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 13.10.2008, 19:48Posts: 6496Location: Squiggers' kitchen Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 22:10 
You know that being a level designer is like being an illusionist.

You don't have to make something to true scale in the distance. You can use smart techniques to block the city up, make the rings appear big, although they aren't as big as thought they are.

All in all, a very ambitious project, but don't let size be your main building factor. Rather usage and complexity.

It's very tempting to make something so huge but at the same time very hard to make it a reality with our computer specs, time frame and overall resources.

I would suggest cutting parts of the city up into smaller levels (Eg have 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024 city blocks, which is already huge).

- It's all about the bread.

Last edited by TerrorBlast on 29.11.2010, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

Post Topic:
PostPosted 29.11.2010, 23:17 
Quote:
Originally posted by TerrorBlast
You know that being a level designer is like being an illusionist.

You don't have to make something to true scale in the distance. You can use smart techniques to block the city up, make the rings appear big, although they aren't as big as thought they are.

All in all, a very ambitious project, but don't let size be your main building factor. Rather usage and complexity.

It's very tempting to make something so huge but at the same time very hard to make it a reality with our computer specs, time frame and overall resources.

I would suggest cutting parts of the city up into smaller levels (Eg have 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024 city blocks, which is already huge).

This and 10x this ^^. If the in-game model picture you posted really is 1/360th of the entire size of this thing then you are going to hit so many walls and problems it's going to make it almost impossible to finish the project even IF you had both the time and tenacity to furnish and detail, what is essentially 360 maps the size of Mesa. Don't get me wrong it's a great idea for a project and it has a lot of potential but if your going to achieve this then make your focus smaller, not just for your sanity but for the sake of graphics cards, ram and cpus everywhere. Follow what TB suggested and create smaller but beautifully detailed sections and also to repeat illusion is your friend, remember you can limit what the player sees "behind the curtain" so make use of that as much as you possibly can.

Anyway good luck, as I said before its a great idea and I hope you can realize it.

Associate Producer - New World Interactive

Post Topic:
PostPosted 30.11.2010, 01:14 
erm.. yer both of you make a valid point. The fact that the model won’t even fit in a crysis map lol
Time frame wont be a problem but this won't be a fast development. Detail level shall only be in the near playable area the rest will be low LOD models.

Can solids exceed the map boundaries even if the player is unable to walk there (be rendered only).
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 21.11.2007, 00:05Posts: 780Location: UK Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 30.11.2010, 15:37 
Agreed with the above two comments.

Otherwise regarding your question, yes, I believe objects will be rendered beyond the map boundaries, but it may not work well.

Good luck though!

- Beac
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 13.10.2008, 19:48Posts: 6496Location: Squiggers' kitchen Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 30.11.2010, 17:30 
Objects will mostly render beyond the boundaries of the level terrain, although I'd suggest testing a few objects first before going on.

- It's all about the bread.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 30.11.2010, 17:38 
Quote:
Originally posted by TerrorBlast
Objects will mostly render beyond the boundaries of the level terrain, although I'd suggest testing a few objects first before going on.

Been genetically stubborn I will continue modeling and if it doesn't work then I shall be clever and fix it :D

No, I will test it once I get a decent model and check volumes, textures etc work beyond the boundaries.

Something tells me it will be fine except one small thing that will make everything not work and I will only find this out right near completion. I shall then become bold, lose sanity and rock back and forth in a corner of the room.