View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 17.06.2009, 12:26Posts: 1941Location: South Africa Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 15.07.2010, 00:27 
thanks CaptainChris :)
nice comment....actually had me looking at pics of Star Troopers for ideas lol
the map for now id purely to make it realistic so any comments on look and feel and realism really appreciated!

i did'nt get much time tonight but managed to start on the reactor cores for the transformers...want to trackview them to spin slow and move up and down out of the water with a hazard entity on them so if your in the room at the time u will get a suit tingle :cheesy:

long way from finished but gives a basic feel of what i want to achieve...

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 22.07.2009, 21:17Posts: 248Location: West Australia Likes: 1

Post Topic:
PostPosted 15.07.2010, 04:04 
Is there one of these cores per energy site? I really like the idea, will they be destructible in some way?

If it's possible to link hitpoints to the control panel, you could add a real tactical sabotage element. My impression would be control panel takes enough damage : starts sparking and cores stop moving : within a minute or sooner the cores not in the water are glowing/shaking then boom, if you're within 20m or whatever, you're toast. Disable's an energy site or halves the power output, etc.

I'm not sure if you could attach hitpoints that way, you could certainly adapt the cores into an end-game situation. Capturing the prototype activates the enemy core panel, rush over there and hit the button, cores stop moving, defend the area until boom, nuke, you win. Not having enough energy stored means the cores cannot charge and don't go critical.

Not sure if this could be implemented but it's an interesting concept. That last image did that, heh.

Last edited by psyphtoix on 15.07.2010, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 17.06.2009, 12:26Posts: 1941Location: South Africa Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 15.07.2010, 11:16 
Quote:
Originally posted by psyphtoix
Is there one of these cores per energy site? I really like the idea, will they be destructible in some way?

If it's possible to link hitpoints to the control panel, you could add a real tactical sabotage element. My impression would be control panel takes enough damage : starts sparking and cores stop moving : within a minute or sooner the cores not in the water are glowing/shaking then boom, if you're within 20m or whatever, you're toast. Disable's an energy site or halves the power output, etc.

I'm not sure if you could attach hitpoints that way, you could certainly adapt the cores into an end-game situation. Capturing the prototype activates the enemy core panel, rush over there and hit the button, cores stop moving, defend the area until boom, nuke, you win. Not having enough energy stored means the cores cannot charge and don't go critical.

Not sure if this could be implemented but it's an interesting concept. That last image did that, heh.

wow psyptoix..awesome ideas..but from the questions i have asked on the forum there is nothing to link to with an FG to make it happen without getting into a serious mod...
i can put usable buttons on the control panel to rais lower move the rods and have hazard entity on them...so if my lower level layout works out you could kill people below them by pressing a button...but altering the MP game play is something way beyond my capabilities

i have 2 energy sites..but they're both in this building...like a variation on your previous ideas...so there could be hectic battles :) The core control room has the core rods on each end of the room..and its centrally located between the two sides of the building (to make my vizareas work and to get my DP down to roughly 1800 ;)

after this i will start work on the sublevel flooded pipes and half flooded rooms...i got the watervol to work this morning so my viz areas dont kill the swimming properties anymore..i have pipe/manholes outside and inside the building..so with some half flooded rooms down there and it could be dangerous ;) The one entrance inside the building is in the cooling tank next to the transformer..will screenshit it once it looks better..pretty rough right now

if you knwo or work out how to make your gameplan ideas work, let me know, they're really brilliant!

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.07.2010, 00:07 
the half flooded underwater room is starting to take shape..
u can't see it in the pic but i managed to get the underwater light ripples to work inside the room...

still need to finalise the textures and add detail but its a start :cheesy:
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 24.02.2009, 20:40Posts: 1636Location: South Africa - Pastyland - Somewhere, you make the decision. Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.07.2010, 06:40 
IMHO, too much reflection on the water and it's too light for that room and the tiling of the texture ( I know your not finished ) against to walls doesn't do a great job ( Make a customized/custom material that would fit better or use another material) .
The Pypes need segment and/or wallconnections that connects them to the wall/floor/ceiling to make them look more attacted to these parts.
Other than that it looks like it's going to be a nice room :happy:

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 22.07.2009, 21:17Posts: 248Location: West Australia Likes: 1

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.07.2010, 07:56 
When you say squish people with buttons from above, is it also possible to link a very potent hazard to the moving object? Like burn anyone almost touching the object.

I don't have any experience with linking moving objects or useable buttons, or how to trigger things in multiplayer etc. Unless you could simulate a local explosion and have that trigger a nuke placed on a HQ off map, where people won't see it.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 11.07.2008, 12:34Posts: 662Location: Finland Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.07.2010, 09:35 
This is looking quite good :) I had a similar typed idea for a PS map, but I never created it: Having to use teamwork to open a power plant door, so you can capture (2-3 switches that have to be online simultaneously until the door opens) and that sorta things which would force the players to move as teams, not solo, and use teamwork.

Maybe you could add something like this in the map? ;)

If there's an exception to every rule, there must be an exception to the rule that there's an exception to every rule. How about that?

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.07.2010, 13:29 
thanks guys and good points Jacques...hoping to get a lot fixed over the weekend :)

at psyphtoix - adding hazards entities to the rods..still need to check if i can attach an area shape to an entity...hopefully it shouldnt be a problem..

@ Jonzkil - now u know why I was pestering u in the other forum for ways to attach FG nodes to energy sites lol

would be cool to get a new dymension to the game without it being a mod
The gate idea already forces teamwork or you cant get the Tac tank through the tunnels
next would be cool to use psyptoix's idea on linking capturing the energy site and Jonzkil's idea on team ident and timers before u can buy a nuke

bet Jacques know how ;)

Post Topic:
PostPosted 18.07.2010, 00:24 
ok..the map layout has changed drastically...hopefully this time it works :rolleyes:
also..i needed to change the map name as there is a Mod called "Entry" and heck my proto just didnt work as it was ...
as the whole thing is an energy building i was thinking of "Energy_Assault" ?(
and then you guys gave me some brilliant ideas on the game play

so..i sank the proto underneath the energy building
i moved the gates to the now underwater glass tunnel where the TAC tank comes out
the half flooded rooms are now the control rooms for operating the gates so that idea still works :D

once i get the layout sorted and the detail i can look at how to link the 2 control rooms to the 2 energy..was thinking it may be as simple as just linking a capture area shape from the energy site to the control room..not sure if i can have 2 capture areas to 1 energy site..but worth testing :)

then i just need to rebuild the rest of the map lol

anyway..the glass tunnel and sunken proto are getting there..
still need to work on the colors and fod levels and darkeness and close it in to reduce sunlight...

edit..added a pic from the half flooded control room ..the gate rises about a meter and effectively blocks the TAC tank.. :tongue:
the first pic shows the glass tunnel down to it..thought it would make more sense..

let me know if it sucks or not

Last edited by Bladestar on 18.07.2010, 00:31, edited 2 times in total.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 18.07.2010, 09:40 
Looks very cool. I like the concept, I think you should go with it.

Seeing that tac-tank driving through an underwater tunnel from another underwater tunnel, well it has that same effect that bioshock capitalized on with all their underwater tunnels. It's very cool!

Energy Assault works, but is kinda plain. The underwater facility aspects make me think of the word Poseidon. Aparently Poseidon was the greek god of sea's and earthquakes. Or neptune work similarly...

Maybe naming the energy facility after poseidon or neptune, and naming the map after that. I'll brainstorm a few examples. (The) Poseidon Complex. Prototype Poseidon. Neptunes Tunnels. Poseidons Assault (I rather like that one, rolls off the tongue well). Operation Neptune.
Conflict at site 17.
Energy Assault just does not seem to roll off the tongue that well. Energy Crysis may be appropriate. Non-global energy crysis, well that's kinda satirical.

Also it should be possible to link 2 capture area's to the energy site, as you can with bunkers and factories. Just be sure they have the same area id, best way is to just copy the first area as it's already set up and linked, try no to overlap them, as this can cause problems running between the two.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 18.07.2010, 21:44 
love the names and thanks for the feedback :)
I can already see the decals for the building now lol!!!
thanks psyptoix!

I deconstructed a proto and put in inside my building...that took ages!
i will have to change the style of my building to match but it will be a lot better than the concrete :)
used the entrance aand then stepped down under the entrance to fit in the rest of it and connect it to the garage..
even re-used the trap door and made it work to..
there going to be hectic battles down there :cheesy:

got the other connecting glass tunnel and the gates working and the elevator for the tank to the ground level..

the pics looks nasty without any terrain..and the rest of the walls etc...but gives and idea of the layout

the viz areas and the water are giving me a nightmare lol!
but i think the basic layout now works...phew

any idea how to attach an entity to an elevator without it loosing it physical properties?
i can attach them but when the elevator moves u can walk through them ?(
trying to get a gate to rise up behind the TAC elevator to block off the tunnel
it moves perfectly but u can walk right through it :(

Last edited by Bladestar on 18.07.2010, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 19.07.2010, 22:29 
small update to show the new look energy building :)

Post Topic:
PostPosted 21.07.2010, 09:44 
Nice looking building. Like something straight from silicon valley!!

Not sure about the gate, hmmm. Is it made from solids or a brush object?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.10.2008, 18:54Posts: 1870 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 23.07.2010, 08:26 
Great map bladestar, I've been a big fan of your work. With a great blend of unique gameplay and visuals I am sure people will love this map. ;)

Keep up the great work.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 23.07.2010, 18:46 
Quote:
Originally posted by Zippy24
Great map bladestar, I've been a big fan of your work. With a great blend of unique gameplay and visuals I am sure people will love this map. ;)

Keep up the great work.

wow Zippy thanks :cheesy: