View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.12.2007, 20:29Posts: 521Location: Germany Likes: 3

Post Topic: Sebastian's dof bokeh shader with custom shapes - RELEASED
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 19:51 
Reupload:
DOF BOKEH shader released. 4 different shaders with 2 main shapes
download links

user errorlogin patched version

--------------------------------------
Link redirection from my signature :

Procedural Dirt Shader Image Image

Image Distance shadows and CVARS sliders

ImageAdjustable Vignette

Image The Glow / Bloom Shader - adjust the size/intensity

---------------------------------------

DOF shaders

update : short movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4No43o7zkDQ

[youtube]<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4No43o7zkDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

---------------

high res http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6267/helencircleshapehires.jpg

This thread is a continuation of this old topic.

I have a new method – with custom shapes for bokeh... like the traditional hexagon, circle, some unusual shapes and other features.

Here in these real photos you can observe how the bokeh has different shapes depending on the camera type or the lenses.

Zoom :

Observe also in some of the photos, the border of the bokeh has a pronounced edge line.

Testing in Sandbox the different bokeh shapes:

Bokeh with enhanced edge border / or with no edge - Zoom in:

A weird shape – number seven in this case – proving the any shape is possible. I’ve seen on the internet pictures made by others with heart shapes or the Apple logo :)

The shapes used for creating the bokeh.

A few of the older pics posted here on Crymod:

Last edited by sebastian___ on 10.10.2011, 12:25, edited 11 times in total.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.05.2009, 12:03Posts: 557Location: Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 19:54 
This Screenshots look great.

How do you apply the shader and is the file released already?

Crysis Tokyo City Modification. Play in the biggest city of the world.
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.01.2008, 02:08Posts: 1494Location: Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 20:38 
to bad its not wwork with e_screenshot X(

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.12.2007, 20:29Posts: 521Location: Germany Likes: 3

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 20:41 
What are you talking about ? all the screens here are made with e_screenshot :) I don't like e_screenshot cause it messes the terrain AO - but in these heavy DOF pics is not noticeable.

That's so great about DOF - only your subject is in focus / visible

Last edited by sebastian___ on 05.03.2010, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 17.03.2008, 21:31Posts: 1384Location: Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 20:44 
will you ever release this to us? :puppy: :puppy: :puppy:

Kinda back..
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 13.10.2008, 19:48Posts: 6496Location: Squiggers' kitchen Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 20:48 
Epic bokeh effects mate :D

Although not extremely original as there are already 2 people working on it :P :P ah well :D

- It's all about the bread.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 20:50 
Lol. I will ! But first I have to finish the damn dirt shader ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by TerrorBlast
Although not extremely original as there are already 2 people working on it :P:P ah well :D

I was first. Check the dates on this . I was using it myself and for my movie. Shame on me I didn't thought about before to post it :)

Last edited by sebastian___ on 05.03.2010, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   THE Shader Guy THE Shader GuyMember since: 11.09.2008, 21:08Posts: 3047Location: Frankfurt Likes: 47

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 21:28 
You were not the first to attempt bokeh, _sebastian. You were the first to attempt increasing the DOF quality, that's something entirely different. Claim it all you want by saying you "never posted it", but the fact of the matter is you increased the quality, you didn't attempt bokeh - you sent me your shader to prove that. :P

Anyway, I really like your DOF, especially that 7 shape. Must have been a very complex shape to create. However, your shader seems extremely impractical for real-time use (that's an insane amount of samples). Then again, your goal isn't real-time anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. I can't wait to see a heart-shaped bokeh ;)

Btw, you may want to test the scene in the island level where Jester gets taken. I've found that they didn't accurately place the DoF in a lot of scenes (this one specifically), so you may want to compensate by increasing the focus range when there's more blur, otherwise he won't be in focus. This happens in a few other cutscenes as well, I'm sure, so if you have any plans on your DoF being used in Crysis SP, be sure to fix that :)

Last edited by Cry-Styves on 05.03.2010, 21:36, edited 4 times in total.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 22:00 
I did wanna re-record the Crysis cut scenes using this shader but I didn't had time. Should look interesting.

I didn't send you my shader. My shader was almost double in size, filled with experiments and comments and ramblings :) . I took the original Crysis shader and placed only the code ideea you requested. The problem with bokeh was the difficulty of creating the shape. But then I found an automatic way ;)

I didn't post a more defined shape because my topic remained unanswered for 2 years. Lol :)

Anyway it doesn't matter. I'm sure there are other users on this forum, with great unpublished shaders. I have several other shaders - like improved motion blur quality, AO, Glow and bloom improvements, particle work and others. I mentioned the glow shader work in the past - but if no one is interested I won't post those :)

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 20.02.2008, 16:36Posts: 49Location: Norway, Telemark, Porsgrunn Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 22:10 
Quote:
Originally posted by sebastian___
Anyway it doesn't matter. I'm sure there are other users on this forum, with great unpublished shaders. I have several other shaders - like improved motion blur quality, AO, Glow and bloom improvements, particle work and others. I mentioned the glow shader work in the past - but if no one is interested I won't post those :)

WHAT!?!, i'm very very very interested :D
Your work is awesome !
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 30.01.2010, 06:23Posts: 75 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 22:17 
Are there any released Bokeh shaders for people to use?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.03.2009, 19:43Posts: 1754Location: in da hood Likes: 19

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 22:31 
Gosh the one with the hexagon shape looks awesome! Could you combine this with a glow effect? It would look breathtaking with reflecting water waves.

"I gots to talk. I gotta tell what I feel."
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 23.04.2008, 19:49Posts: 3901Location: Horsham, West Sussex Likes: 60

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 22:45 
Good work as always seb.

Freelance Lighting/Visualization Artist
User avatar   THE Shader Guy THE Shader GuyMember since: 11.09.2008, 21:08Posts: 3047Location: Frankfurt Likes: 47

Post Topic:
PostPosted 05.03.2010, 23:53 
Quote:
I didn't send you my shader. My shader was almost double in size, filled with experiments and comments and ramblings :) . I took the original Crysis shader and placed only the code ideea you requested. The problem with bokeh was the difficulty of creating the shape. But then I found an automatic way ;)

Ah ok. Either way, you should've mentioned something, I wouldn't have bothered to even try it.

Anyway, I'm interested in what you did for the shapes. You said it's "automatic", so I'm intrigued.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2010, 12:10Posts: 1161Location: Safe House Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 06.03.2010, 00:01 
Quote:
I did wanna re-record the Crysis cut scenes using this shader but I didn't had time. Should look interesting.

Re-record the cutscenes? YES,PLEEEASE :D
And who is not interested in your shaders? Post them please sebastian_

Amazing screenshotz :D

" improved motion blur quality, AO, Glow and bloom improvements, particle work and others"

I want them all ;)

http://tomyum72.deviantart.com/gallery/
" Adult Supervision Is Required ! "
ฝันเป็นจริง :) :)

Last edited by Tom Yum 72 on 06.03.2010, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.