Programming & Scripting

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Captain CryDev Captain CryDevMember since: 02.08.2005, 19:01Posts: 2226Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 44

Post Topic: Basic Information:
PostPosted 18.12.2007, 18:56 
SDK (Software Development Kit): Download Version 1.2

The SDK is needed for 1. and 3. (only for full access / completly new HUD elements, basics are already possible without the SDK)
You also need to know the basic MOD structure, which is explained HERE and HERE.
CryEngine² features: LINK (PDF)

What kind of applications you have to use to create new features for your MOD:

1. C++: Visual Studio 2005 (Game DLL compilation / compiling with free tools similar to THIS should be possible, but it's not tested at the moment)
    That's the most complex and difficult part to add new features for any kind of modification. But you also have the most flexibility.

Difficulty: 5/5 (depends on your knowledge base)

2. Lua: 5.1
    Basic modifications should be first added here. Especially for AI scripting.
    Editor (freeware): Notepad++, PSPad, ConTEXT, Crimson, Vim
    The Lua-Scripts are located here: ../CrysisRootFolder/GameData.pak (open with WinRAR)
    Inside the pak-file: ../Scripts

Difficulty: 3/5 (depends on your knowledge base)

3. HUD/UI: normal Flash Actionscript 2.0 + Scaleform optimization (.gfx format)
    If you want to add new HUD/UI elements you have to realize it with Flash + Actionscript (UI elements should also need the Scaleform SDK).
    You have to use C++ (custom Game DLL) to show your new elements ingame.
    You can find all .gfx files here: ../CrysisRootFolder/GameData.pak (open with WinRAR)
    Inside the pak-file: ../Libs/UI

Difficulty: 2/5 (depends on your knowledge base)

NOTE: UNOFFICIAL INFORMATIONS (do not blame Crytek for any wrong information)
The SDK does not currently have a release date, so please dont ask when it will be out.
--James-Ryan (v0.1)

Last edited by Cry-JR on 09.03.2008, 13:54, edited 13 times in total.

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 18.12.2007, 11:55Posts: 127Location: Angerville Likes: 6

Post Topic:
PostPosted 18.12.2007, 19:41 
Will the it come with Crysis' code similar to the Source Engine and FEAR SDKs, or just a basic framework for new mods?

24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 24.11.2007, 13:51Posts: 4872Location: Belgium Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 18.12.2007, 23:50 
You can add this program to all steps: Context
It's got highlighters for all syntaxes and it's free :)
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 29.10.2007, 13:47Posts: 368Location: USA Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.12.2007, 16:11 
Crimson Editor is free but recently ported over to Vim because Vim supports Lua 5.1 Crimson only has highlights for Lua 5.0. Also Vim has a built in Lua help and a Lua IDE

How to do anything

Last edited by S;upreme_Pizza on 20.12.2007, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.11.2007, 21:15Posts: 464 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 28.12.2007, 20:08 
I think that, like farcry, you will be able to compile the Crygame.dll or something of the like. This basically controls the game's implementation of the CryEngine2, from my understanding. So you can control....just about everything, if not everything..

EDIT: Just to let you know, from the Visual studio link in his thread, just click on the express version, (its the free and lite version), and TBH, there isn't a whole lot of missing features. Especially almost none that you will miss when developing for the sdk, as you don't have to create anything. Click on explore by product, then Visual C++.
But, sadly, odds are if you don't know this already, or what vs2005\2008 is... then you probably don't know C++, have probably never programmed. And to tell you the truth, it's pretty hard, and will take a while to learn from scratch, plus, if you have programmed in (several) other language(s), especially Object-Orientated ones, then you should be able to do it.

Last edited by Predator106 on 30.12.2007, 18:09, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.11.2007, 21:15Posts: 464 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 13.01.2008, 06:11 
HUD/UI: normal Flash Actionscript 2.0 + Scaleform optimization (.gfx format)
If you want to add new HUD/UI elements you have to realize it with Flash + Actionscript (UI elements should also need the Scaleform SDK).
You have to use C++ (custom Game DLL) to show your new elements ingame.
You can find all .gfx files here: ../CrysisRootFolder/GameData.pak (open with WinRAR)
Inside the pak-file: ../Libs/UI

Question: Is there a guide somebody can make for this? Or just a quick telling us of what to do? Do we open the swf files w/ flash, and then edit stuff w/ action script too (I think its a flash programming lang.) But I'm more so confused on the scaleform sdk. What about UI elements, what do you do with it? And I tried to download the scaleform sdk, but you need to login \ register, and for registration, you need a company email..... Could anybody clarify this? (preferably the thread starter?).
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 26.02.2008, 22:59Posts: 5 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.02.2008, 23:02 
I think it is impossible for now ;( as far as I know it only reads from .gfx files and we have no way to convert .swf to .gfx.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 08.03.2008, 17:01 
A mod. should update this sticky, as it's released now..
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.07.2007, 03:59Posts: 80Location: in my cold dark yet humid basement. Likes: 0

Post Topic: RE: Basic Information:
PostPosted 09.03.2008, 04:35 
i have no clue as to what this means. do you need visual studio to mod things such as particles and weapons? wth is .dll compilation. i know it stands for dynamic link library but...i'm a little rusty.

If you wish to join BP productions, please email or pm me. So far we are looking for a female voice actress. Vive jesu!
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

PostPosted 09.03.2008, 04:44 
Quote:
Originally posted by puffdadder
i have no clue as to what this means. do you need visual studio to mod things such as particles and weapons? wth is .dll compilation. i know it stands for dynamic link library but...i'm a little rusty.

Weapons, no its all in XML/Lua, Particles, no you can edit them inside Sandbox2. Compilation is only required if you make a change to the actual CryEngine2 source code and this is what you need Visual Studio for. Basically if your not changing the Hud, or the actualy gameplay mechanics in a big way, you won't ever need to touch the source code.

Associate Producer - New World Interactive
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.07.2007, 03:59Posts: 80Location: in my cold dark yet humid basement. Likes: 0

PostPosted 09.03.2008, 04:56 
Thank you so much for your help! wish i could give you some rep like other networx.
so weapons you can make with pretty much any editor? particles never need to leave sandbox. So source code requires modification if you give your dude different abilities right? :/.
So can context work or only visual C++? sorry for all the questions but i am really wanting to make (near) total conversions and am afraid to just dive into it.

If you wish to join BP productions, please email or pm me. So far we are looking for a female voice actress. Vive jesu!
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

PostPosted 09.03.2008, 05:01 
Just to avoid taking this post off topic I have pm'd you your answers.

Associate Producer - New World Interactive
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 12.04.2007, 21:21Posts: 10 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.03.2008, 21:30 
Where can I find free software for flash creation/editing? The wikipedia article about adobe flash says it is freeware but on the webpage of adobe I only see this CS3 Pro version with a 'Buy' link. Is the test version of it enough to mod the HUD/UI? Will it expire after 30 days? (unfortunately the adobe page says nothing about it, just wants me to create yet another account) Are there older versions of adobe flash one could get for free? Or completely different free OpenSource projects?

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.04.2007, 14:42Posts: 1795Location: Maryland, USA Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.03.2008, 21:35 
I don't know of any good open source Flash software. I think your only option is Flash CS3. (Try going for the academic licensing, if you can :) ) There's also a 30 day trial available.

Smilies2themax!
:D :rolleyes: :)) :easter: ;) :P :] :)) ;) :evil: :p :D :)) :tongue: :] :P
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.04.2007, 14:42Posts: 1795Location: Maryland, USA Likes: 0

PostPosted 12.03.2008, 22:42 
Also, be aware that using Visual Studio 2008 means the output dll requires the Runtime Lib V90. I suggest you stick with Visual Studio 2005, or include those runtime dlls.

You can also build it as a static CRT, but this isn't recommended.

You can find the Runtime CRT Redist for Visual Studio 2008 @
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\x86

Smilies2themax!
:D :rolleyes: :)) :easter: ;) :P :] :)) ;) :evil: :p :D :)) :tongue: :] :P

Last edited by jameszhao00 on 12.03.2008, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.