View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 20.06.2011, 17:31Posts: 21 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Tutorial for creating a space scene in the Sandbox 3 edi
PostPosted 30.07.2011, 15:57 
Right, I've - hopefully - progressed a little since the last time :)
However I have many questions regarding things.
The first image is a simple graphical shot of the system.

Planet1.jpg

The second shot is demonstrating how when you start to get closer to the planet the colours appear to bleed out of it and it goes to a rather unusual dark blue and white colouration?

Planet2.jpg

The third image,when getting too close, shows how strange squares start to appear!

Planet3.jpg

Does anyone know why these problems occur.

There are 3 spheres here, planet colour - diff & bump, cloud layer - diff & bump and a haze which just contains a diff map....
And as an aside, how do you produce a decent haze on a planet?

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 26.03.2007, 01:04Posts: 193Location: St. Louis, MO Likes: 3

PostPosted 31.07.2011, 10:20 
First off nice job with the planet. As for the reason why your planet looks that way is the method you are using for the atmosphere. I had the same problem a while back and then decided to use a volumetric fog. haven't had the issue since.

Also I really like that cloud map that you have. Could you share that with me?

*Edit*
Also those squares looks like the spheres overlapping each other or intersecting.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.12.2009, 10:05Posts: 611Location: Latvia Likes: 0

PostPosted 31.07.2011, 11:21 
WOW! 8o
I love what you have done so far!
More than year ago, I did a quick space level myself...
Altough mine wasn't even half as awesome looking as yours.
Here is my old space concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClMMiPg4Is

My web-page: 3rdHalf.net
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 20.06.2011, 17:31Posts: 21 Likes: 0

PostPosted 31.07.2011, 19:48 
Thanks for the comments :)

It was actually the shadows! I turned off the shadows and didnt have another problem... It's a shame because I'd like the shadows from the clouds, but never mind, they shouldn't be quite as visible as they were anyway.

One query I have now is; I have a lovely sector and it looks good. When I start the game firstly it goes more milky - I quit out the game it goes back to blacker screen (like the screen shots) it's like the fog only works when I 'switch to game'
Also.... whilst it looks fab as is, when I dip below the horizon all goes black! No idea why!!!

Sure, half0, I will email the picture to you - just drop me a PM; it's 2048x1024
....oh, a tutorial for a space craft would be nice ;)
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 26.03.2007, 01:04Posts: 193Location: St. Louis, MO Likes: 3

PostPosted 01.08.2011, 06:35 
As for it turning milky that is hard to say. Does it do it when you hit CNTL+ G or when you load up the level in the game itself?

As for it tuning black I am having the same issue too. It seems to be a limitation of the SB3 that Crytek either did intentionally or haven't fixed yet. Lots of other on here complain about it too on their levels. Only thing I can say that I have been doing to make everything high above the 0,0,0 mark so that the player never reaches that point.

As for the tutorial for the spacecraft, we are definitely working on some things for you guys such as ship movement and 0G player movement, but are running into a bug or issue at every turn. Mainly due to the fact that the SB3 editor that we are working with now isn't much more than a simple level editor rather than a "full game editor"

We are hoping that once they release the SDK for the engine itself on the 11th that it will make things alot easier for us. Once we get all the scripts together for what we want to do, you guys will be the first to know.

PS** Pm sent
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5486Location: British ColumbiaStatus: Online Likes: 164

PostPosted 17.08.2011, 13:26 
Quote by SpuddyMcFuddy:
Right, this is where I am now....
I've got transparency by adding an alpha map and as you can see I have the sun back.... however I now have the base back glowing weirdly.... I've fiddled with all the settings in the TOD, advanced level and normal and I just can't seem to find the setting that disappears that weird - beige now - glow.... it's driving me potty!!

Any help???

Whoa, that alpha-mapped giant enclosing sphere is an amazing idea. I'm gonna use it to make detailed cloud scenes!
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 00:39Posts: 20Location: TorontoStatus: Online Likes: 3

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 01:06 
This is my very first time with Crytek SDK. I have tons of questions, obvioulsy, but for now: just saying thanks for the tutorial. I gave me a crash course into it. :)

... time waits for no one.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 22.08.2011, 15:57Posts: 83 Likes: 3

PostPosted 22.08.2011, 18:24 
Thanks! I have a lot of 3d experience etc but never used SandboxEditor (cause there was no sense for me to mod Crysis) - now this is exactly what I was looking for! thanks, and can't wait for the spaceship tutorial!!!

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.08.2011, 00:15Posts: 10 Likes: 0

PostPosted 23.08.2011, 20:55 
Cool
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 02.09.2011, 05:02Posts: 11 Likes: 0

PostPosted 20.10.2011, 00:04 
Great stuff guys! I have been building a team to work on a SCI-FI game for CE3 and your work seems to Parallel the needs of the project we are working on.

Keep it up, Our team will be watching!

People with a love of Outer Space Games, UNITE!

-Renwood
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.07.2011, 13:00Posts: 567Location: France Likes: 4

PostPosted 20.10.2011, 09:43 
Good job !! thank you man !

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 01.01.2011, 18:10Posts: 16 Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.10.2011, 16:34 
Hey, i'm having tremendous troubles with my sphere.

When i use the default sphere it gets too edgy and low pol when i size it up. Using a solid sphere or imported high poly sphere ends up with the two left spheres seen in the image.
and i did not change the material.

Could somebody please share a highpoly .cgf sphere?

Thanks
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 02:08Posts: 252 Likes: 0

PostPosted 22.10.2011, 06:03 
Now that we've got environment out of the way, how on earth do you make a space scene in the same visual scale as any of BlackProphecy's planets? Or even just the planet. They seem like the kind with absolutely massive costs in VRAM. They even revolve, so you can be sure it isn't just a one-sided image.
The ingame scenes actually look like that. They're monsters.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.01.2009, 14:25Posts: 1915 Likes: 10

PostPosted 22.10.2011, 07:22 
They probably do give that object a massive budget. It dominates the screen, it can use a dose of graphics. Also, the rim glow looks like a nifty way to hide the poly lines. ;)

That said, I'm actually trying to create a scene like that, so any ideas would be great indeed.

PostPosted 22.10.2011, 20:42 
Quote:
Now that we've got environment out of the way, how on earth do you make a space scene in the same visual scale as any of BlackProphecy's planets? Or even just the planet. They seem like the kind with absolutely massive costs in VRAM. They even revolve, so you can be sure it isn't just a one-sided image.

One thing to remember is that space scenes are treated differently than "Land scenes". You don't have terrain, building's, flora, ect. to worry about. This allows you to devote more resources to things like stations and planets.

I've definitely got more for you guys too. tutorials and downloads are in the making but lately we have been doing more of the sketch art and storyline development before we dive too far in. Been working on possibly getting some new flowgraph nodes in there too.

Quote:
When i use the default sphere it gets too edgy and low pol when i size it up. Using a solid sphere or imported high poly sphere ends up with the two left spheres seen in the image.
and i did not change the material.

Could somebody please share a highpoly .cgf sphere?

I can do that for ya. The high poly sphere in .CGF is attached to this post in a zip file. It is the same sphere used in the video you were asking questions on here
Attachments:

hiPolySphere.zip
[11.58 MiB]
Downloaded 525 times