View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 07:12Posts: 252Location: USA Likes: 2

Post Topic: VIDEO TUTORIAL: Creating and Gettings BOIDS into CryEngine 3
PostPosted 12.05.2012, 10:43 
Boids are one of those things you don't see a lot of because they seem to be complicated - but in actuality, they are relatively simple, and really add a nice atmosphere to the game. In fact, I think this could be seen as a stepping stone to getting a custom character in the game as it may be a bit simpler but have much of the same base stuff a character would.

Anyway, I haven't seen any tutorials on Boids, and not a lot of information in general, so I thought I'd take a stab at filling the hole with the technique I used (along with the files) to get a Boid into CryEngine. And though it's not perfect, it should help get one in the game while I improve it overtime. This turned into a 7 part youtube series (but less than an hour in length in total) - and if you already are familiar with rigging, skinning, and constraints, you can simply skip to part 6 & 7 (about 13 minutes total) on how to set-up the files and export specifically. If you're going to use these files other than references, remove the .txt extension from the file names. (And don't forget to edit your /Game/Animations/Animations.cba file). I will likely make a new C++ class for this snake Boid (to make it's movement more snake-like and perhaps tweak somethings that can't be done in LUA), and post the video for that as well just for a thorough coverage of the topic. (I'll also correct any previous errors I find or informed about in this section)

Part 1 :

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5: Finishing spline IK and constraints. What is left off from the previous video: After setting up the spline IK again, the snake was flipped 180 (facing +y instead of -y). What I did was simply reset the pivot of the spline line to 0,0,0 - and rotated the spline line about that pivot 180 (so the spline line faced +y instead of -y). That's all the video does not show.

Part 6:
Note, I wasn't quite familiar with exporting more than one mesh, but I remembered you need to load all your meshes (if more than one) into the export box, and tick 'EXPORT PER NODE' (not merged). Then, in the character editor, load in your main .chr file (in my case it's the snake), and then import the other's as attachments (in my case again, the snake tongue). I may get around to posting this in video form just for robustness.

Part 7:

There may be better ways to do some of the things, there may be small errors - so if you find any, feel free to PM me and I'll add the changes to this thread.
Attachments:

SnakeMonk.lua.txt
[1000 Bytes]
Downloaded 153 times
SnakeMonk.chrparams.txt
[303 Bytes]
Downloaded 140 times
SnakeMonk.ent.txt
[78 Bytes]
Downloaded 143 times

-Bryan
http://www.SinisterRainbow.com
See Stickman Thread Here - Updated Regularly (Videos, screenies, infinite system integration, more)

Last edited by SinisterRainbow on 15.05.2012, 03:25, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.04.2012, 15:00Posts: 481 Likes: 40

Post Topic: Re: VIDEO TUTORIAL: Creating and Gettings BOIDS into CryEngi
PostPosted 13.05.2012, 01:47 
THIS IS AWESOME!!! Very clear and concise.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 31.10.2007, 19:37Posts: 449Location: England Likes: 10

PostPosted 14.05.2012, 23:41 
epic stuff bud. good tutes for the community ;)
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 17.11.2011, 16:51Posts: 17 Likes: 0

PostPosted 13.03.2013, 04:58 
Tks i will try it
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 06.02.2013, 16:02Posts: 5 Likes: 0

PostPosted 06.05.2013, 14:29 
Just a quick question and was hoping you could answer. I have created a Boid with a custom animation etc. but i have a couple of questions regarding continuity. I have used the Chicken Lua as a base and therefor it has retained the chicken sound, is it possible to change this? Also, I dont know how to apply a custom material, could you specify how to do this please?

Cheers, Liam
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 20.01.2012, 01:57Posts: 668Location: Bogotà, Colombia - Istanbul, Turkiye Likes: 19

PostPosted 18.08.2013, 08:16 
So Cool! I don't know about this, about Boids.

We can make a boid using C++?

Please, don`t Kill me. I speak English so so. Some times i used google translator XD.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 20.01.2012, 01:57Posts: 668Location: Bogotà, Colombia - Istanbul, Turkiye Likes: 19

PostPosted 09.11.2013, 23:09 
Quote by SalahAdDin:
So Cool! I don't know about this, about Boids.

We can make a boid using C++?

I am searching very much, i find BOID folder in code folder :D

I find flock's files, and other files :D
I'll try create a dolphin boid for my project, but, i don't have animations for this :'(.

Please, don`t Kill me. I speak English so so. Some times i used google translator XD.