View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.03.2012, 13:36Posts: 8Location: Cheshire, United Kingdom Likes: 0

Post Topic: Unreal Tournament Gael Remake
PostPosted 21.01.2013, 16:05 
Hi everyone,

I thought it was about time to show a project I was working on for a university project I completed last month. As the title suggests I have done a remake of the Gael multiplayer map from Unreal Tournament 2004 but adding my own twist to the level by giving it my own look and feel.

The reason I chose the Gael map was due to its simplicity in design while still carrying a lot of room for enhancement concerning the texturing and lighting. My goal was not to redesign the map; it was for me to learn more and improve my understanding of a workflow to create a nice looking map and the design theory behind the map. Alongside the creation of the map I carried out analytical research into the study of level design as additional content for my studies.

All the modelling was done in Autodesk Maya 2012 and the textures were achieved in Adobe Photoshop CS5 with the use of a Wacom Cintiq.

The whole map was made in a modular system which meant that placing geometry was made easy, especially for floor and wall tile placement. It also allowed me to keep the design of the map down to a tee so if split down the center, the map is completely symmetrical.

The jump pads (credit to CryDev user P5ym0n) replace the lifts seen in the Unreal version of the level and they work just as well for getting the player up to the next level.

The texture maps for the floor tiles were inspired from previously made assets in the Unreal Tournament games so I didn’t stray too far from their designs but I made sure that I added my own touch to them with the normal maps which effectively changed how the diffuse maps looked. I wanted a clean, grunge-free look to the level and games like the recent Nexuiz helped me achieve the look, using it as reference when it came to details like painting the diffuse maps and applying the environment maps.

The process of my floor tiles was down to me working with Quixels nDo2 which I discovered at the stage of the project where I needed to start texturing the floor tiles. Instead of the high to low poly method I decided to test this new process so the main floor tile you see on the ground floor in the level is the first example of me working in nDo2. I can definitely see me using this in the future as it is a very effective way of generating very nice looking normal maps.

As seen above I managed to have a ceiling and floor texture map implemented into one file which was down to optimization for the level but meant that I would not have any issues when it came to lining up the floor and ceiling tiles with each other because they were one piece essentially.

As this is my first major project in the CryEngine I feel like I can push my skills and knowledge further which is why I will not totally move on from this map as for me there is so much more I can add to the level. As I have already begun on a new project involving CryEngine 3, the level is what it is for now but I would love to come back to it in the future and make it available as a download for the community to play around with as a multiplayer map or as something other game enthusiasts can enjoy.

Stephen Pietrusiak

Last edited by Ezekiel on 30.01.2013, 03:21, edited 13 times in total.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 14.03.2008, 21:31Posts: 1757 Likes: 37

Post Topic: Re: Unreal Tournament Gael Remake
PostPosted 21.01.2013, 16:12 
Looks great so far ^^

You think that subliminal message at 0:40 works? :D

User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10843Location: Crytek HQStatus: Online Likes: 723

PostPosted 21.01.2013, 16:26 
Cool! When does the jump pad go in? :D

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.03.2012, 13:36Posts: 8Location: Cheshire, United Kingdom Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.01.2013, 16:56 
Quote by Thomy:
Looks great so far ^^

You think that subliminal message at 0:40 works? :D

Thanks, oops I will have to change that :P

Re-uploaded new video.

Last edited by Ezekiel on 21.01.2013, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
  Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 23:44Posts: 620Location: Hastings County, Ontario, Canada Likes: 21

PostPosted 21.01.2013, 17:24 
I would pay monies for an actual remake of UT99.

aka this is epic.

Quote by Cry-JR:
Our player is a retired Resident Evil background actor and sometimes... he shows his evil side.

Quote by thegeek:
Xbox is down, someone call the ambulance!  Wii u Wii u Wii u
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 07.12.2011, 00:36Posts: 262Location: United Kingdom Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.01.2013, 22:34 
nice work!

work abouts in cheshire? i live in wilmslow :)

View My Game Art Portfolio.
http://www.xaku-designs.com

PostPosted 21.01.2013, 22:45 
Quote by XaKu:
nice work!

work abouts in cheshire? i live in wilmslow :)

Thank you Xaku, I am currently studying VFX at Staffordshire University .
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 07.12.2011, 00:36Posts: 262Location: United Kingdom Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.01.2013, 22:46 
awesome! well keep up the good work, will keep an eye on this thread :D

View My Game Art Portfolio.
http://www.xaku-designs.com

PostPosted 24.01.2013, 21:30 
Just a small update, will upload more later this week. Any requests on what you would like to see from the level just post a reply.

Stephen

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 19.04.2012, 13:55Posts: 245 Likes: 10

PostPosted 24.01.2013, 21:33 
Nice.))

My works:

Thank you.
-----------------------------------------
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.10.2011, 13:27Posts: 51 Likes: 0

PostPosted 01.02.2013, 08:01 
This is a very sensitive combination :P

--------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i7 2600k
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6950 2 GB
16 GB DD3 1600 RAM
Fractal Design XL Black Pearl
--------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 07:12Posts: 252Location: USA Likes: 2

PostPosted 02.02.2013, 07:16 
Very cool, nice work.

-Bryan
http://www.SinisterRainbow.com
See Stickman Thread Here - Updated Regularly (Videos, screenies, infinite system integration, more)
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 02.02.2013, 17:54 
All this aliasing! My eyes!

Very cool.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 05.06.2012, 10:25Posts: 23Location: Minsk Likes: 3

PostPosted 04.02.2013, 13:30 
Good work. Great normal maps )

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 23.04.2012, 18:01Posts: 317Location: France Likes: 17

PostPosted 04.02.2013, 13:37 
Great work ! any chance to see a quake 3 arena remake ? :meow: