View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 11.11.2011, 07:36Posts: 838Location: Asia Likes: 2

Post Topic: Re: My first gun modeled with 3dsmax
PostPosted 03.07.2012, 06:45 
i get this when i try to export a tree ?(
"Writing same chunk with different data: type=cccc0014 id=00000004 data=0x2B0A4F50 debug="Trunk" new_debug="Trunk"Writing same chunk with different data: type=cccc0014 id=00000004 data=0x2B0A4F50 debug="Trunk" new_debug="Trunk"

Role :Texture artist
My skills : Level Designer|Game Designer|Sound Designer|3D Artist|2D Artist|

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 02.05.2012, 06:06Posts: 81Location: New Zealand, Bro!Status: Online Likes: 9

PostPosted 03.07.2012, 08:05 
my best guess would be 2 objects with the same name.

Cheers
Freaky

Then Samson said, "With a donkey's jawbone I have made donkeys of them. With a donkey's jawbone I have killed a thousand men." Judges 15:16
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 11.11.2011, 07:36Posts: 838Location: Asia Likes: 2

PostPosted 03.07.2012, 11:26 
Quote by Freakydeakydutch:
my best guess would be 2 objects with the same name.

Cheers
Freaky

Nope :sad:

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 23:50Posts: 1731 Likes: 8

PostPosted 04.07.2012, 18:49 
Try reexporting the tree, maybe there went something wrong in the export.

PostPosted 05.07.2012, 12:14 
Quote by NeoLegends:
Try reexporting the tree, maybe there went something wrong in the export.

I tried that too :sad:

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 13.05.2012, 04:57Posts: 26 Likes: 1

PostPosted 07.07.2012, 04:38 
Okay, to be honest here (good tree by the way) but for the gun (if you are still working on that) angle the magazine, and add detail. detail is the saving grace. you have a good hitbox there. now you need to detail the thing (also, texturing well can make terrible models look semi-decent. there's still the underlying boxy-ness, but texturing can often reproduce a 3-d look fairly well if done correctly (of course, nothing compares to a perfect model*, but we can't have that, now can we? the polycount would rape our computers)

now for those of you shit-talking him... this is a community forum designed to give numerous designers, modders, coders, and the like access to help. He posted this here for constructive criticism. you gave nothing "constructive" at all.

*my idea of a perfect model is where the lighting and shape of the model combine with basic colors (no actual texture) to create said texture. it's extremely intensive, and I doubt cryengine could support more than one of my "perfect" models. (2-3 million polys, all being lighted in such a small amount of space) maybe it could do more on a computer other than mine... I know my uncle has some workstations set up that are just beasts... but for all intents and purposes the consumer would fail to be able to run it.

PostPosted 07.07.2012, 05:23 
Quote by Carolkarine:
Okay, to be honest here (good tree by the way) but for the gun (if you are still working on that) angle the magazine, and add detail. detail is the saving grace. you have a good hitbox there. now you need to detail the thing (also, texturing well can make terrible models look semi-decent. there's still the underlying boxy-ness, but texturing can often reproduce a 3-d look fairly well if done correctly (of course, nothing compares to a perfect model*, but we can't have that, now can we? the polycount would rape our computers)

now for those of you shit-talking him... this is a community forum designed to give numerous designers, modders, coders, and the like access to help. He posted this here for constructive criticism. you gave nothing "constructive" at all.

*my idea of a perfect model is where the lighting and shape of the model combine with basic colors (no actual texture) to create said texture. it's extremely intensive, and I doubt cryengine could support more than one of my "perfect" models. (2-3 million polys, all being lighted in such a small amount of space) maybe it could do more on a computer other than mine... I know my uncle has some workstations set up that are just beasts... but for all intents and purposes the consumer would fail to be able to run it.

I am not working on the gun any more i gave up modellings weapons temporary.

PostPosted 20.07.2012, 13:31 
Guys does anyone know how to model hard surface models?

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 06.04.2012, 11:50Posts: 63Location: Albania Likes: 3

PostPosted 20.07.2012, 18:37 
Good job ceylonfarmer. Keep on learning.
I've seen many stupid comments in many topics bashing new designers or people who want to learn. There are few guys that just keep talking trash. Well once i created a topic and a guy name neolegend started to tell me that i was not a designer and things like this. Well I asked him if u are that good can you show me some of your work? Well his answer was: i have some unfinished and untextured objects. WTF lol.
Sorry admins but i have to say this to all people who don't see their own business just f...k off idiots.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 02:08Posts: 252 Likes: 0

PostPosted 20.07.2012, 18:49 
Lots of angry all up in this thread. Mods should delete all the angry.
Methinks you guys need to learn the concept of "Emotion by interpretation."
Just because you think their comment sounds buttmad doesn't mean it was intended to be buttmad.
It's as if you've all been lurking the fourchons or something. Got used to all the buttmad around there.

On topic: Hard surface modeling is very easy, especially in Max. In fact, you've been doing hard-surface modeling the whole time starting with the gun. All you need is a diagram of what you're modeling. This diagram can be put into the viewport background and roughly outlined. Earlier when someone said that improving your drawing skill will help you with 3ds Max, this is what they meant.
But to start you need to find the rough starting shape of an object.
AX338.png
You see the stock? For the stock I started with a chamfered box from the thin piece that connects to the chassis. Rotating the sides as to get an even curve, I worked my way left. After that I used the ProBoolean tool to cut into the mesh and add the details present in the real gun.
The screws were made using a helix spline and a cylinder.
In short, just learn your tools.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2830Location: USA Likes: 117

PostPosted 20.07.2012, 23:37 
See! now Mr. Kidnapper is being helpful, that's the kind of response you need. Ive been hard surface modeling for the last 2 months pretty much straight trying to get the Lonely Queen of the North Project done.

What he said is very true, a diagram/blueprint or reference is absolutely necessary for a good looking model.

A helpful kidnapper, that strikes me as sort of an oxymoron.

PostPosted 21.07.2012, 07:52 
Thanks kidnapper :)) guess i was doing hard surface modelling with some models :P and how do i make holes .etc in a mesh (when i mean holes i mean straight ones)

User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5449Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 152

PostPosted 21.07.2012, 08:52 
Quote by themodman101:
a diagram/blueprint or reference is absolutely necessary for a good looking model.

No it isn't.

Last edited by Adsolution on 15.93.2014, 05:29, edited 58 times in total.

PostPosted 21.07.2012, 09:15 
Quote by RayFan9876:
Quote by themodman101:
a diagram/blueprint or reference is absolutely necessary for a good looking model.

No it isn't.

You need to have good experience right if you are not using ref pic :P. And can some one find me good canopy tree branch texture with leaves in it please. Since i am going to make rainforest :]

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2830Location: USA Likes: 117

PostPosted 21.07.2012, 10:28 
Fine because Rayfan has to be all specific, let me rephrase my sentence. A reference is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for an accurate model, especially for new modelers. Something I had actually mentioned. There now its more specific for those that want exacting details. :P

And btw, its really easy for me, and most any other hard surface modeler to pick out a model that was made without good reference. It shows pretty clearly unless you've been modeling for a long time.