View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 29.10.2007, 07:14Posts: 778 Likes: 8

Post Topic: Atreyu asset to CryEngine3
PostPosted 03.07.2011, 16:32 
Once again, I have to say I'm blown away by the quality of the work accomplished by the developers of the CryEngine3. I thought they had already placed the bar insanely high with Crysis 1, but man...

So I've been playing with exporting stuff from Maya to Sandbox 3, learning (sometimes the hard way) how things have to be done, using my old Atreyu model. The conversion from CryEngine2 to CryEngine3 is not that straight forward, due in part to the different ways materials react to the light. Note that the skin shader is much improved in Sandbox3 and the SSS does wonders.

(The model lacks a proper specular map, the diffuse map is too fuzzy/imprecise and the hair has do be redone entirely, but you get the idea...)

There's really no need anymore for shadow decal maps for flesh parts, since anything from hair to cloth (however minute) does cast an actual shadow on the mesh, with even ways to control the harshness of said self-cast shadows.

I struggled a bit with the eyes shader, which is now done without separate iris geometry it seems (which is replaced with a smart attribute allowing you to make the iris look like it recesses due to refraction).

Anyway, congrats to everyone involved in the technical side at Crytek, you've managed to outdo yourselves again!

User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 06.11.2007, 19:24Posts: 90Location: Germany Likes: 1

Post Topic: Re: Atreyu asset to CryEngine3
PostPosted 03.07.2011, 16:46 
that looks cool :) what we do with the characters usually is get the eyeballs as seperate objects attached as skin attachments to eye bones. try make some animations and show your character in action!

Cinematic Artist | CVG | Crytek Frankfurt
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 29.06.2011, 21:46Posts: 219Location: Eugene, OR Likes: 4

PostPosted 05.07.2011, 20:41 
Thanks for this. So I am curious are we going to see a follow up to the island now that we have a new sandbox?
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 29.10.2007, 07:14Posts: 778 Likes: 8

PostPosted 07.07.2011, 20:30 
Quote by The Ebb:
Thanks for this. So I am curious are we going to see a follow up to the island now that we have a new sandbox?

Hah! You remember that...?!

Well, I definitely intend to do something of the sort; only this time, the island will be overrun by the Undead Army of the Rat... ;)

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 29.06.2011, 21:46Posts: 219Location: Eugene, OR Likes: 4

PostPosted 07.07.2011, 20:44 
Excellent! Seith's little Island... Of Death! I like it, looking forward to seeing it with all the new CE3 goodness.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

PostPosted 08.07.2011, 04:19 
Looking great Seith, will be great to see it rigged. Glad to see your back & working with CE3 now :)
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 30.10.2010, 20:49Posts: 16Location: Kent, UK Likes: 0

PostPosted 09.07.2011, 22:45 
anyone wanna make a never ending story mod?
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 30.07.2008, 00:36Posts: 3936Location: Sthlm, Sweden Likes: 44

PostPosted 09.07.2011, 23:22 
Quote by seith:
Hah! You remember that...?!

Well, I definitely intend to do something of the sort; only this time, the island will be overrun by the Undead Army of the Rat... ;)

You are one of the reasons I started with Sandbox. That small island of yours amazed me, and I decided to try it out myself.

- Aspiring Level / 3D Artist -
Portfolio | CryDev | Art Blog