View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1542 Likes: 56

Post Topic: Re: What are you working on?
PostPosted 20.05.2012, 17:59 
Quote by The Vulture:
Well, yeah. Sort of. The trashbag itself isn't done yet. The other parts aren't that interesting. But I got the holes baked now.

Not going for the same exact look as the real thing. The real trashbin is showing through, but I don't want that. Actually, I don't even know how I'd do that without using too much geometry.

Answer primary question. Are you going to focus on trashbin, or it will be just yet another scene prop ? Use normal map with opacity map.

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).

User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 30.07.2008, 00:36Posts: 3935Location: Sthlm, Sweden Likes: 44

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.05.2012, 22:12 
@ sltrOlsson: I don't have a thread for the prop, it's fine here. Receiving feedback is a part of showcasing your work.

@ iniside: I'm just making it for practice. If it turns out alright I might use it on my portfolio.

Quote by sltrOlsson:
I would say that you could aim for 200-250 triangles for a prop like this.

Oh, are you serious? That sounds extremely low.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1542 Likes: 56

Post Topic: Re:
PostPosted 20.05.2012, 22:26 
Quote by The Vulture:
@ sltrOlsson: I don't have a thread for the prop, it's fine here. Receiving feedback is a part of showcasing your work.

@ iniside: I'm just making it for practice. If it turns out alright I might use it on my portfolio.

Quote by sltrOlsson:

200 tris ? It's extremly high. I think you can get it to 150. or even 100. It's just trash, nothing complicated here.

Remember you are modeling for real-time application, not for still images.

Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 00:22Posts: 24Location: Stockholm, Sweden Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re:
PostPosted 21.05.2012, 01:18 
Quote by The Vulture:

Quote by sltrOlsson:

It all comes down to the silhouette. You don't need to add all those trims everywhere. That's what the normalmap is for.

This would be what something like this would look like if I would have done it. The inner cylinder represents the plastic bag, which would be double sided, and the outer cylinder would have an alpha test texture on it. Maybe an trim or two if it helps the silhouette.

And yeah, this is actually 198 tris.

Environment 3D artist just getting into CE3
http://vnyhlen.se
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 30.07.2008, 00:36Posts: 3935Location: Sthlm, Sweden Likes: 44

PostPosted 21.05.2012, 04:58 
Would that be something you'd wanna put on your portfolio? Because I guess that's what I'm aiming for.

I'm pretty fresh when it comes to 3D so I appreciate any feedback I can get.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.04.2010, 22:50Posts: 1234Location: In front of a computer Likes: 13

PostPosted 21.05.2012, 05:21 
Quote by The Vulture:
Would that be something you'd wanna put on your portfolio? Because I guess that's what I'm aiming for.

I am not an expert 3d modeler, though you should showcase a low poly model next to a HP model. This can show that you can create detailed models and optimize them for games. I have seen many people do this.

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 00:22Posts: 24Location: Stockholm, Sweden Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.05.2012, 12:57 
Quote by The Vulture:

Something I wanna put in my portfolio in what sense? Budget wise or just if the prop it self would make it to the folio? Both. I mean, it kinda depends on what your folio is for. Mine is to get environment jobs, so something like this would be one out of maybe 5-10 other similar props in a bigger scene. It would be there but not as a single object. That said, if you look at my portfolio you can see that I don't have any bigger projects like the one I'm talking about. Though it's something I'm working on atm.

When you'r new to 3D I thinks it good not to take on to big projects. It's really rewarding to finish things and that's what's gonna keep you going. For every object or scene you do, you'll learn something new and you'll be able to step up the quality of your work for the next one.

Environment 3D artist just getting into CE3
http://vnyhlen.se

PostPosted 21.05.2012, 13:50 
Quote by The Vulture:

Yes. Remember the golden rule of game dev is "achive as much as possible using as few as resources possible".
In other words make low poly model with good textures and show wires.

It's cool you can make 1k poly trashbin. But believe me. If someone sees it, he will think "yeah look cool, but that's definitly not for game".

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 03.06.2010, 19:54Posts: 725Location: Germany Likes: 5

PostPosted 23.05.2012, 13:46 
A knife I am working on...

Has 113.312 Polys, and the same amount of tris.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 02.06.2010, 17:50Posts: 209Location: Zurich, Switzerland Likes: 18

PostPosted 23.05.2012, 21:35 
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 30.12.2011, 20:38Posts: 49 Likes: 0

PostPosted 23.05.2012, 21:42 
Quote by JustNameless:
A knife I am working on...

Has 113.312 Polys, and the same amount of tris.

That looks really slick! Nice one mate.

Quote by ODemuth:

You did it! Well done!

PostPosted 24.05.2012, 01:01 
Nice shark. But are those just some flat colors with a few grunge brushes? :P
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 03.05.2012, 18:35Posts: 707Location: Essex, London Likes: 73

PostPosted 24.05.2012, 07:38 
Quote by The Vulture:
Nice shark. But are those just some flat colors with a few grunge brushes? :P

Very true, maybe you want to add a displacement map for scales and such?

Click for fun stuff! viewtopic.php?f=310&t=105239
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2849Location: USAStatus: Online Likes: 131

PostPosted 24.05.2012, 22:15 
lol, Sharks skin is made up of Millions of tiny Knives

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just saying that its unlikely you will be able to get that kind of detail in any type of displacement.

In terms of Polycount, for an effective Portfolio you need to show your skill in 3 Area's.

Set Peices
For some reason a lot of artists forget these very important models;
these are objects that are higher than usual detail and polycount but need to be game ready and optimized as much as possible to retain that more realistic look. A good example is things the player will be interacting with.

Low Poly Models
These are models that have the least amount of polygons for their silhouette as possible while still supporting any type of normals you may or may not be using.

High Poly Models
This is very important to show your ability to pay attention to detail, show your reference, show your model, and show your bake if possible with this.

Truth be told, that trash can would be fine as 175-200 Triangle Model, but I would make that LOD1
LOD0 should be around 400-500 Tris. These days your budget is higher, and with better LOD blending, developers are starting to make more use of this system then before.

Both sides of the argument are right, but one is getting out dated.

@ODemuth:

Pretty good looking model there mate, the texture needs a little work though I would adjust the material so it will look better in the water, you need to lighten the top a little more to get it looking correct. Also, I would shove it into Zbrush or Mudbox and paint out those texture seams so you dont see them. It really improves the look, and will impress potential Job offers

And with that I will show some of the stuff Im working on.

More refined Structure level update, notice the right side if you will :)

And some LP Hallway modules that im currently making Decals for to blend it all together nicely, oh and get rid of that nasty plaster texture! YUCK hehe :)
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 02.06.2010, 17:50Posts: 209Location: Zurich, Switzerland Likes: 18

PostPosted 25.05.2012, 00:22 
First try at rigging
Image Image Image
Everything is still heavy WIP.
But I got some strange problems. When I move the head around the teeths go somewhere else... Although I painted them on to the head-joint...
@TheVulture
Thx, the textur is still in progress, but atm your right :whistle:
I hope it will be a lot better in the end.
I'm not a very good textureartist, so I "outsourced" it :cheesy:
@Stormfreek
I don't own any sculpting programm like zBrush or others. So it's pretty hard to create some really good details for normal or displacementmap. I hope the texture will have all the details needed in the end.
@themodman101
Thanks, it's my first real object made in Maya, so I'm glad you like it :]
The texture is still in progress, you won't see any lines when it's finished :)
Btw. I don't want to go into the 3d-modelling industry, I do these models only for fun. Next year I'm going to study architecture and probably can I use my knowledges then to create some good buildings :happy: