View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 21.01.2009, 17:31Posts: 370Location: Germany Likes: 15

Post Topic: Corrugated Metal for Houses (Update in last post)
PostPosted 06.05.2013, 16:01 
I wanna build some dirty looking slum shacks with corrugated metal. Heres my first attempt on the matter. The texture is 1024*1024 and has a diff, ddn, displ and spec map. I attached a few screenshot, but you better download it and make a picture for yourself.

Texture were made with nDo2,dDo and Photoshop CS6.

Greetings
Attachments:

corrugated metal.rar
[1.91 MiB]
Downloaded 134 times

Feature List EaaS:

-paywall

Last edited by Devil I Know on 15.05.2013, 15:49, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 20.01.2012, 21:45Posts: 538Location: BrazilStatus: Online Likes: 60

Post Topic: Re: Corrugated Metal for Houses
PostPosted 06.05.2013, 18:16 
I like it :p

CRYENGINE BR (FB) Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryenginebr/
Procedural Art channel ( CRYENGINE Tutorials PT-BR): https://www.youtube.com/user/aulasproceduralart
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 21.01.2009, 17:31Posts: 370Location: Germany Likes: 15

PostPosted 06.05.2013, 19:56 
Thank you :D

My first attempt and just a proof of concept of a hut.

Greetings

Feature List EaaS:

-paywall
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 13.11.2012, 17:55Posts: 257Location: Australia Likes: 73

PostPosted 07.05.2013, 00:25 
If it's for slum shacks then you are going to need to rough it up a lot more than that. Corrugated iron rusts pretty badly, and by the time it's thrown out and picked up off the rubbish heap by people to make a slum shack it's a bit bent, there can be holes in it, and it's usually pretty badly rusted. Google is pretty good for getting an idea of just how bad it can deteriate.

Rusted metal

It's usually held in place with a large round headed type of roofing nail, and rust will form around the hole punched in the spot the nails are and can run down from there.

For slums, it's often only held in place by the weight of a worn out tire, brick, lump of broken wood or anything else with little to no value.

So it's a good start, and useful for fairly new dwellings, but if you want slums you want rust, wear, shabbiness and plenty of it.

PostPosted 11.05.2013, 16:22 
@ivanhawkes
Thank you for your advice and yes its for slum shacks.

I now made a high poly corrugated metal. I think I will make a wooden frame and then attach these plates on it with nails. This technique should should deliver a high amount of detail. Then I could just render out normals onto the a house shape for the LoD.
Also I wanna deform the the plates using Mudbox. It looks promising, but I dont have anything to showcase yet.

The attached pictures are again only proof of concept and I didnt spare much time on the texture.

Greetings
Attachments:

ScreenShot0019.jpg
ScreenShot0018.jpg

Feature List EaaS:

-paywall

Last edited by Devil I Know on 15.05.2013, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted 15.05.2013, 15:45 
I looked at BF3s metal and now mine looks better than ever. I think Im pretty close to achieving something nice :D

Im just wondering about those tearing errors of some sort.

Greetings
Attachments:

ScreenShot0021.jpg

Feature List EaaS:

-paywall