View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 04.08.2004, 18:45Posts: 54Location: Los Angeles, CA Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Lol/Creepy?
PostPosted 11.04.2012, 09:51 
It's good to see another new modder in the making, dont give up and keep working on your art, it will take a lot of effort and many long nights, but will be well worth it in the end.

I strongly recommend using ZBrush and taking some courses on ZBrushWorkshops- Ryan Kingslien is one of the best artists+instructors in the industry. Mudbox is ok too, but I personally prefer ZBrush and that's what most studios use anyway; we use it on a daily basis.

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 17.12.2011, 08:44Posts: 864 Likes: 20

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 10:18 
zbrush is very expansive

Portfolio
"As far as assets go, your vegitation is pretty good" -Ryan Schake [Themodman101]
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9830Location: Finland Likes: 168

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 10:25 
Agree with others, it's a good start but you need a lot of practice to reach AAA level with that model. :) I suggest learning low-poly modeling as well, doing that you learn how to model for example those pants so that they're defined in geometry and not just in the colour - sharp edges and transitions (such as cloth->skin) can be hard to achieve in Mudbox or Zbrush, so it would be good to have your base mesh (lowpoly) have that definition already. ;)

luke78: Your character is looking rather good for a start, but you need to pay attention to the muscular anatomy of the human body. The upper body looks fine, but the legs have some really weird muscle shapes, hard creases, and strange lumpy forms in the thighs and shins.
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 17.12.2011, 08:44Posts: 864 Likes: 20

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 10:27 
low poly..how can i know its high poly or not?

Portfolio
"As far as assets go, your vegitation is pretty good" -Ryan Schake [Themodman101]
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9830Location: Finland Likes: 168

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 10:40 
When working on Mudbox/Zbrush, you can assume it's always high-poly. :P Those models usually have millions of polygons, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to sculpt small details on the model. There's no way you can use a Mudbox model in Cryengine unless it's possible to export the lowest detail level - the reason why people sculpt characters in Zbrush or the like is that they can render a normal map for the low-poly character that is usually modeled in 3ds Max or Maya. ;)

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 10:44 
i mean how to know how many polygons i have in my character?

Portfolio
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 09:58Posts: 240Location: UK Likes: 3

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 12:00 
The grim - Thanks for your advice, but legs are still under development, to be honest all character is. I am slowly adding details and fixing errors. I found my own way to sculpt, as on the beginning I am drawing lines where muscles are going to be and then I am adding form to it. I am working this way as I try to sculpt muscles straight on an it didn't work very well for me. First I need to know where they are.

"The reason why people sculpt characters in Zbrush or the like is that they can render a normal map for the low-poly character that is usually modeled in 3ds Max or Maya." - it is not exactly like that. Once you high poly mesh is done you are building new low poly mesh on top of that. Then you can transfer details. It will be almost impossible to match you ZBrush character with one that you already build in 3ds max. I may misunderstand you.

Axeldev - I don't know how to check poly count in mudbox, but it 3ds max you have to press 7 + you can go to Viewport Configuration - Statistics and modify it to you own needs. I am usually adding Selection or Total+Selection.

I will be making Master class when I finish my character as I was struggling too with the process. Here is a small explanation of what I have learnt at uni.
1. Build proxy mesh - low poly with quads (polys) (when you divide mesh in ZBrush/Mudbox triangles will cause troubles)
2. Sculpt the body of your character in ZBrush/Mudbox. If you want to add attachments you can extrude it from mesh or make new proxy mesh in 3ds max.
3. Retopology - creating new low poly mesh on top of high poly mesh - You can do it in ZBrush, 3ds max, TopoGun, 3D Coat. You have to create new mesh around your character with around 12,000 polys.
4. UV Maps - My favourite program - UV Layout. Very simple and powerful.
5. Textures - you can paint them in ZBrush or bake the textures and do it in photoshop.
6. Render to texture (baking textures) - very important for a normal map, as this is how you transferring details from high poly to low poly model.

There is much more of it, but writing about it doesn't make to much sense. You have to see it, to understand it.

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 12:03 
okay thanks so much guys,i'm working on it now and i hope you will be happy seeing my next update ;)

Portfolio
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 09:58Posts: 240Location: UK Likes: 3

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 12:05 
Here is my presentation from uni that better explain the process. I hope that will help.
Presentation_Max_small.pdf
[834.33 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 12:08 
thanks,hey one of you would like to be in my team?i need 3d artist/flash artist now we i have 8 members already the name is diamond

Portfolio

PostPosted 19.04.2012, 18:00 
I need some help please give me tutorial to make realistic clothes in mudbox

Portfolio
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 07.01.2012, 13:00Posts: 396 Likes: 1

PostPosted 20.04.2012, 09:57 
Just search around google for tutorials i guess..

Just had a quick search and this is the first page that came up.
http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/mudbox.html

Tutorials look pretty good might be worth checking out.

Some 3D Models I have done.
http://dragon3d.webs.com

PostPosted 20.04.2012, 11:18 
its all version 2009 to 2011.. i already search in google but many of them use maya/3ds to make the cloth while i cant do 3ds and maya,but i have bought the book now see if i can make smthing :D

Portfolio

PostPosted 20.04.2012, 14:54 
Here is something, but you cannot see what tools he/she is using.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Eushy7f6rc

Here is some better tutorial. It is not perfect, but cover basics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObGPMH-0vvI - Part1 Maya
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBwY-8U3 ... ure=relmfu - Part 2 Mudbox

PostPosted 20.04.2012, 14:56 
ahh it is more worth thanks luke

Portfolio