View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 05.11.2011, 16:26Posts: 1965Location: Czech Republic Likes: 44

Post Topic: Re: Google SketchUp for CryENGINE 3 | Extensive tutorials
PostPosted 27.01.2012, 06:38 
I applied texture, changed the tile size, so its 1 texture per full material... then, export to cryengine and applying custom texture over the Sketchup one, right? I will try it when do I came home, but i want to make my own texture like that train one. Does it seems hard?

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 30.04.2010, 14:42Posts: 714Location: Russia Likes: 20

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 13:04 
Here is a sample model to explain it once and for all.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hr1zsd

One 4x4px placeholder texture, one 1x1m material with it, one 1x1x1m cube it's applied onto, one component to be exported with PlayUp.

P.S.: You seem to be mixing the definitions of "material" and "texture".
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 05.11.2011, 16:26Posts: 1965Location: Czech Republic Likes: 44

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 15:18 
Quote by bac9-flcl:
Here is a sample model to explain it once and for all.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hr1zsd

One 4x4px placeholder texture, one 1x1m material with it, one 1x1x1m cube it's applied onto, one component to be exported with PlayUp.

P.S.: You seem to be mixing the definitions of "material" and "texture".

Probably yes, this is my first ever use of Sketchup and modeling at all :)
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 18:22 
i will check the test_cube, and thanks for uploading it :)

well yeah for the importer, i'am using the trial of the simlab ( only 30 import allowed :/ ) its the ONLY one .obj importer who work ( with .obj from the SB3 ), or i tried, make sketchup crash, or didnt import anything.

So i finaly import the Asset from Crysis2 and after a nearly perfect rescale i'am using it as reference to remodel it.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 30.04.2010, 14:42Posts: 714Location: Russia Likes: 20

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 21:39 
Great to hear it. :)

PostPosted 16.02.2012, 11:54 
http://playuptools.blogspot.com/
PlayUp Alpha 0.9.8.5 Released!

Long-awaited master material feature is finally here! In short: this is an extremely crucial feature for making asset sets (e.g. a dozen of modular railway components, vegetation sets, various props utilizing same textures, and so on), for buildings separated into several .cgf files (e.g. cases with separated indoor/outdoor, modular buildings, buildings separated to deal with FP16 artifacts, and so on), and for any other cases where you need to have one multi-material for multiple models.

Previously you received a separate material for every model you've exported, and while sometimes it wasn't an issue, many times it was extremely inconvenient. Now there is an option to generate just one - for every object you'll export from SketchUp file. Why would you need that?

For example, you've made a set of 10 similar small building models, each is using 3 materials. And naturally, your SketchUp scene contains 3 materials. Previously, upon exporting these models, you've faced 10 multi-materials with 3 submaterials each. And you've had to spend tons of time configuring each of these 30 little bastards, not to mention that it was extremely hard to keep all of them configured in the same way (matching diffuse, specular, glossiness, tiling, etc. values).

Now you will only have to spend a minute on configuring one multi-material - derived from material configuration in your SketchUp file. Then you can apply it on the whole object set and forget about it forever. And if you'll need to tune some values, you'll be able to do that in a matter of seconds, with changes properly synchronized for every object in a set. Neat, right?

So download it right now. :D
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 03.09.2011, 18:09Posts: 178 Likes: 0

PostPosted 16.02.2012, 18:56 
that sounds great for sketchup users :O Did you make it ?

Art is not merely an imitation of the reality of nature, but in truth a metaphysical supplement to the reality of nature, placed alongside thereof for its conquest.
Friedrich Nietzsche

PostPosted 16.02.2012, 19:51 
Quote by MrDojo:
that sounds great for sketchup users :O Did you make it ?

Of course not. :)
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 06.06.2010, 22:27Posts: 529Location: Turku, Finland Likes: 2

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 18:50 
Quote by bac9-flcl:
That.

ImageImage

Could you explain a little bit how you did this (unwrapping I guess)? Did you make the texture first or...? I've never done anything like this. And was it very time-consuming?

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 08:19 
Nothing special.

I determine which surfaces (or just non-unfolded parts in certain rotation) I'll need to create the texture. Then I determine the minimal size of a square they can fit in, create a box from it, and manually compose the texture layout there.

In some complicated cases, e.g. when I need a continuous unwrapped surface to place on my map, I use the simple "Unfold" plugin.

Then I switch off perspective, set the view from the side I need, and bake that into some high resolution image. Usually x3000 for x1024 textures, and x1500 for x512 textures, but precise values don't matter, just make sure it's not a screengrab with line resolution lower than you'll need on your final texture.

I open that image in Photoshop and crop it into square: as you remember, layout was composed in this shape, and that allows me to do this operation without deforming the image. Then I reduce the resulting image from what I've got to the resolution I need (usually something like 2438x2438 downscaled to e.g. 1024x1024).

Now I can start working on the texture. Image that was just made is actually a scheme which you can just set to the Multiply mode with some appropriate transparency, and place above all your layers for reference. Then we get a texture:

Then I apply the texture onto my model, which is, thanks to SketchUp interface, incredibly fast and easy.

Extremely important thing to mention there is that I almost NEVER scale anything in my texture layout. It's often tempting to scale something to make it fit into layout better, especially if there is not enough space in the square area you've determined, but I avoid that as much as possible. Why? Here's the thing: I always make use of SketchUp materials scale parameter.

For example, I made a square layout. Apart from baking it into an image for Photoshop work, I also remember the size of that square precisely. In this example it was 1.57x1.57m. When I import my finalized texture into the model to apply it onto surfaces, I will set precisely the same size in material properties. That will make the texturing process by an order of magnitude easier, because all the surfaces on my texture will be precisely real-scaled, and texture mapping will be reduced to extremely easy process of aligning object surfaces with proper parts of a texture. Continuous unfolded surfaces are even easier - you precisely apply your texture on one of them, and then finish the rest in a matter of seconds with sampling feature I've mentioned in my texturing tutorial.

As you understand, if you will use scaled parts in your layout, final texturing will be harder because one default size won't do anymore: you'll have to manually scale the texture on some of your surfaces, which is always less precise. Also, it's not that good from the point of pixel density.

Still, uniform scale, especially if applied to simple parts like doors, is appropriate in many layouts, because it's relatively easy to control. It's not that hard to stretch a picture of a door from your layout a bit to fit into a slightly bigger doorway, even though with each part like this, the texturing of your object will take more time.

The thing you'll NEVER want to use in your layouts is non-uniform scaling and especially any other kind of distortion. You'll never place such texture parts back on your surfaces in a precise way, not to mention that distorted or non-uniform scaled texture mapping can't be sampled over the edges, rendering it impossible to easily apply continuous sequences of unfolded faces.

It is the only one real limitation of this workflow. As you remember, most layouts of complicated organic objects feature continuous areas with countless complicated distortions used to fit the surface into 2D space. Like that:

You can't do anything like that in SketchUp because there are no tools to apply such a texture back to surfaces. It's easier for major DCC packages users, because when they work on UV layouts there, they are linked to the surfaces from the beginning, so you can distort the hell out of it however you see fit - texture is already applied anyway. In contrast, SketchUp never featured any kind of connection like that - our layouts are simple geometry, we're working with pixel data only. Then we manually apply the resulting texture to surfaces, trying to be as precise as possible.

Basically, my workflow is a manually executed imitation of simple hardsurface UV mapping methods. You're doing the same thing, just without the help of automatic link between your layout and texture mapping. Which means you can't execute really complicated cases like organic objects, but still, can rock it quite well with most hardsurface geometry.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 06.06.2010, 22:27Posts: 529Location: Turku, Finland Likes: 2

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 17:10 
That's exactly what I was wondering, thanks a lot! :)
But how exactly you "bake that into some high resolution image"?

Oh and while reading through this thread a few times I realized how amazingly great you are with Sketchup. :cheesy: And how terrible I am...

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 20:31 
Quote by JMLfin:
That's exactly what I was wondering, thanks a lot! :)
But how exactly you "bake that into some high resolution image"?

• Camera -> Perspective / Disable perspective rendering
  • Camera -> Standard Views / Select desired view
  • File -> Export -> 2D Graphic / Open image export window
  • Options / Change Image Size to a resolution sufficient for you and enable Anti-Alias
  • Export
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

PostPosted 14.03.2012, 23:56 
Hello :)

I have a little question.

Actualy, when you make a model in 3ds max, Crytek requier the creation of a physical proxy who is a basic 3d geometry to save physical calculation in the Cryengine.

but there isnt such thing with google sketchup

Does it change something for performance not making a physical proxy like with 3ds max ?
or does the export plugin have a special physical proxy calculation ?

if not, that mean model from sketchup are way more expensive than model from max ? no ?
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 10.01.2012, 15:05Posts: 20 Likes: 0

PostPosted 19.03.2012, 16:38 
Hi

This has to be one of the best tutorials I have come across - excellent work.

Being notorious for breaking tools and egnines, this is no exception and I have a problem with an Apartment Block model I am constructing and attempting to export to CE3/Sandbox.

The Playup plugin only creates the dae and mtl files, even after running the Cleanup and Reversed Faces plugins to try and correct any errors.

I have run RC.exe manually against the dae and get the following error "Failed to compile geometry in node "Merged" in file c:\CryENGINEv3\Game\Objects\Bu​ildings\Compinenet1.dae - Mesh compilation failed - face 142 has bad subset index 255 <allowed range is [0;31]). Contact an RC Programmer."

Any ideas what the error is pointing to or how I can navigate to face 142 to check what might be the issue?

FYI - The building model uses components for the stairwells, the ground floor, mid floors and roof, with an overall component to tie them all together. All the parameters I can see are within the tutorial guideslines for number of verts and materials etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can send the model for examination if anyone wants to have a look to see what the issue is.

Regards

Chris

PS. Screenshot attached

PPS. Solved my problem - turns out that error means "make sure your textures are square e.g. 512x512 pixels stupid" ;-)
Attachments:

Split Apartment Block.jpg

Last edited by CCWashout on 20.03.2012, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 19.08.2011, 14:50Posts: 2 Likes: 0

PostPosted 20.03.2012, 12:53 
Hey guys,
got a bit of a problem here,

I've been designing a High detail skyscraper for one of my levels,
But i cant get the window textures right.
Can someone explain to me how i get the textures from the image below, to google sketchup , like with the refraction .

Thanks!