View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.01.2012, 06:35Posts: 7 Likes: 0

Post Topic: model with 2 textures (sketchup)
PostPosted 26.02.2012, 07:33 
Hello all,

I'm working with Sketchup to create models, but I'm curious as how do I apply multiple materials to one once imported.

Usually I just break it into groups which have the same texture, then import and line everything up. However, now I've built a simple door with a glass window. But of course when I open the door, the glass doesn't move. Is there a way to attach the window to the door? Or another workaround?

Thanks

Owen

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 05:55Posts: 528Location: Utah, USA Likes: 29

Post Topic: Re: model with 2 textures (sketchup)
PostPosted 26.02.2012, 07:50 
Quote by oswalsh:
Hello all,

I'm working with Sketchup to create models, but I'm curious as how do I apply multiple materials to one once imported.

Usually I just break it into groups which have the same texture, then import and line everything up. However, now I've built a simple door with a glass window. But of course when I open the door, the glass doesn't move. Is there a way to attach the window to the door? Or another workaround?

Thanks

Owen

Hey Owen,

I am not a sketch up pro but have you tried creating a sort of master group The 2 Objects are in there own group and then Applying a group over that?

Try it out and get back to me. I am going to try this my self :)

Oh and BTW here are some useful tools that can help you.

http://playuptools.blogspot.com/2011/08 ... ugins.html

PostPosted 26.02.2012, 23:57 
Hi Benji385,

Thanks for the tools. Unfortunately that did not work. when I import the group, its still one entity which is imported, thus only one entity which can be textured. Thanks though, if you got it to work please let me know how you did it.

Thanks,
Owen
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 19.08.2011, 11:41Posts: 20 Likes: 0

PostPosted 27.02.2012, 11:23 
Why do you need to group objects which are one material? I don't know about the new PlayUp version, but with the old one I was able to texture two different parts in one object (No group) and then I could change the texture later in CryEngine of each part seperately because they have a different material.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 30.04.2010, 14:42Posts: 714Location: Russia Likes: 21

PostPosted 27.02.2012, 13:55 
Check the tutorial linked in my signature, and just make a single model with multi-material containing as much submaterials as you need. There is no point in one material per model approach.

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 07:43 
Hey thanks guys,

Once I found that you can find the model through the material editor it made perfect sense, each component can be textured separately there.

Thanks a lot, this is way easier then the way I was trying to do this.