View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Trainee TraineeMember since: 17.12.2012, 13:11Posts: 136 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Character for CE3
PostPosted 24.01.2013, 04:21 
I heard online that you can open the Tutorial File, SDK Agent.max and do these steps:
1. Remove Agent's skinning and import custom character to scene and then align the custom char with the skeleton(Which One? Live phys or Live Deforming?)
2.Export model so that the Custom Character uses the Agent's animations.

Is this possible?

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 17.04.2012, 18:19Posts: 424Location: Strathmore, Alberta, Canada Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Character for CE3
PostPosted 24.01.2013, 06:21 
Well, you'd have to align it with the live deforming skeleton, but I'm not sure if it would work that simply. I've thought of doing the same thing myself many times, and I suppose the only way to really find out whether or not it will work is to just go for it, and test it out yourself.

Just give it a shot, and see what happens! :)

EDIT! (added image)

EDIT AGAIN! (figured it out!)

This can be done, simply by replacing the default character mesh and skinning it to the default rig. After that, you may have to mess around in the default .cdf file, but as long as you export your character with the same name as the original SDK_agent.chr file, everything should work fine.

Also, don't mind how strange my character looks. I definitely did not set up the materials correctly.
Attachments:

screen8.png
screen7.png
SEE!.jpg

My Rig

CPU: AMD FX 6100 @ 3.4GHz
MB: Asus M5A97 Rev 2
RAM: G.SKILL ARES 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
GPU: 2x HIS AMD Radeon HD 7770 @ 1000MHz
PSU: Corsair CX600 600W
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus HF1
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 22.11.2011, 18:22Posts: 189Location: Nottingham Likes: 11

PostPosted 21.10.2013, 16:45 
I have done this myself and it does work, great way of testing out your own characters.

"Video Games mean so much to me that when others play or observe what I have made, I hope that it will mean a little more to them" - Samuel Johnston Quality Assurance Engineer
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 16:13Posts: 3Location: Kyiv, Ukraine Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.10.2013, 21:33 
It work fine for me, but what about character's cloth bones (e.g. Rope1 Seg01 chain). That's not included in agent file. Is there a tutorial for making character's cloth (e.g. trench coat or long cape)? Google gives me nothing and crydocs is to cloudy for me & not covering some 'noobish' questions... Can somebody make a step by step tutorial for begginers?

You don't know the power of the Dark Side...
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 19.10.2013, 22:13Posts: 20 Likes: 0

PostPosted 25.11.2013, 14:05 
Is it possible to add bones and finalize the rigging in maya using default CE3 skeleton provided by Crytek?

Lets say if I want to make a facial rig and add some extra bones for some specific accessories, would I still be able to use default agent animations and new animations for the face?
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 05.12.2012, 16:30Posts: 926Location: france Likes: 82

PostPosted 25.11.2013, 14:14 
about facial rig : I got a head of mine in the facial editor, working quite well
as long as you use the same bones names and orientation, the animations should work on them and you can even add bones controls to the existing expressions.

my facial rig had bones that are not in the SDK_agent skel, but they seem to work ok as long as they are specified in the chrparams file.

I didn't test it yet, but I guess that if you add bones to the SDK skeleton, the others should play the SDK anims as well... have a try

riding random
:.::¨::.:¨¨:.::¨::.:

PostPosted 25.11.2013, 15:39 
Ok I see, probably as long as I keep the default skeletal hierarchy intact and only add extra joints it all should work, thanks.

Do you know where can I get the standard SDK_agent skeleton for maya? Or is it in the cryengine directory somewhere?
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 05.12.2012, 16:30Posts: 926Location: france Likes: 82

PostPosted 25.11.2013, 15:44 
character authoring guide there, DL the "agent.rar"
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDO ... +Authoring
has skeleton for max users, has a .ma file too

character authoring for maya there : http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDO ... ng+in+Maya

keep posting, wee need a good thread for character rigging tough.

riding random
:.::¨::.:¨¨:.::¨::.:

PostPosted 25.11.2013, 16:51 
Thanks for that. So I just had a look at the skeletal structure and it seems that some joints like wrists, fingers and elbow twist joints are not oriented properly. These joints are oriented to the world, not to local orientation of the parent, or along its correct axis, so it makes it impossible to twist the elbow along its natural axis.

Its fixable, but it seems odd for the setup to be like that ready to go in cry engine?

I was going to go with a custom rig in the first place and replace it like its shown in seithcg.com tutorial, but I could not get my animations (which did move in space) to read in Locomotion Group Editor no matter what, so I am resorting to modifying the agent rig.

But if I adjust the joint orientations to follow the direction of the bone (away from the world axis) let alone do some placement tweaks to mach the new character model, it may cause a conflict with existing agent animations right?

Also it is fully possible to make my own walk cycles for this agent skeleton to suit my own character and implement my own animations for the main movement, things like jumps, runs, crouch, right?

Also is it possible to adjust the speed of the walk and the distance of the jump?

Thanks

PostPosted 28.11.2013, 03:38 
Okay so it seems like the process is this.

Adjust the sdk agent rig in max, export to maya, add any extra joints needed.
VERY important part. When adding new joints I had to reuse the existing joints that have been already oriented properly in max, creating new standard maya joints seem to create bugs in engine with the new face joints getting separated from the main body, dragging the whole geometry with them. Not sure why.

So after having correct facial joints in place, and all skeleton skinned, troubleshooting some weight problems along the way, it finally works in engine. A modified version of agent SDK rig skinned to custom mesh. Standard and custom animations work as long as the correct chrparams file is there with new animations specified.

Next is facial rigging. I am not sure how to approach this one, either rig it in maya or deal with it engine. I was reading about facial editor and its tools, seems to me that it is possible to rig the face in the editor with joysticks which control the facial animation directly in game, which sounds really cool, no need to deal with maya.

PostPosted 25.02.2014, 04:13 
HI

SO finally got some progress on the rig and as usual problems arise.

Here is the model working in the game

http://i.imgur.com/A7Ol1Ap.png

Problem:

Our model (Teles) is obviously using agent_SDK rig to function and use the existing animation library. However, she is a female and her physique is not so manly, so for example her hands are smaller then the agent_SDK model, so the rig had to be adjusted to fit her smaller hands. The problems shows up when the animations play and the hand bones reset to their original positions which apply to agent_SDK rig, meaning the new bone positions stretch out her fingers outwards like here:

http://i.imgur.com/xS6grs9.png

It may not be that visible in the 3rd person view, but it would be in the 1st person view, is it possible to fix this, or the only solution to this is to adjust her hands to fit the agent_SDK skeleton instead of adjusting the skeleton bone positions.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 05.11.2011, 11:47Posts: 571Location: Bardstown, Ky Likes: 86

PostPosted 25.02.2014, 04:36 
If you are looking to use the SDK animations you will have to match their rig.

skype - "thecollinbishop"

PostPosted 05.03.2014, 18:18 
Hi people

So I fixed the hand problems, our character artist fitted the model around the agent sdk proportions, now that is fine.

Another set of problems is that the aim does not work. When in 3rd person view she just keeps ger gun down pointing at the ground instead of holding it in both hands like the normal SDK rig does. Is that related to some missing bones perhaps? I seem to have the structure intact, there was some importing and exporting of the hand bones from 3ds max to maya for the new bones to be placed, but the weapon bones are there on both hands.

http://i.imgur.com/kPWdB64.png

Another problem is that when swimming the animation blending seems not to work. when swimming around and changing directions the rig doesn't nicely blend the animations, but pops the rig from one animation to the next, I hope I explained that clearly. However, if the Forest level is loaded and I run around with the new rig I ave done, animation blends fine, so it seems to not work just in our underwater level.

https://vimeo.com/88257930
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 19.08.2011, 07:44Posts: 221 Likes: 47

PostPosted 05.03.2014, 20:42 
Quote by zygi:
Hi people

So I fixed the hand problems, our character artist fitted the model around the agent sdk proportions, now that is fine.

Another set of problems is that the aim does not work. When in 3rd person view she just keeps ger gun down pointing at the ground instead of holding it in both hands like the normal SDK rig does. Is that related to some missing bones perhaps? I seem to have the structure intact, there was some importing and exporting of the hand bones from 3ds max to maya for the new bones to be placed, but the weapon bones are there on both hands.

http://i.imgur.com/kPWdB64.png

Another problem is that when swimming the animation blending seems not to work. when swimming around and changing directions the rig doesn't nicely blend the animations, but pops the rig from one animation to the next, I hope I explained that clearly. However, if the Forest level is loaded and I run around with the new rig I ave done, animation blends fine, so it seems to not work just in our underwater level.

https://vimeo.com/88257930

Are you using custom animation database files (ADBs)? If you are looking to re-use all the default SDK animations, you should just use the default adb files and only swap out the player model files in player.lua.

Otherwise, I would say your issue is aimposes for the first one, and the lack of bspace for the second one. But AFAIK, the default agent should have both of these set up properly.

PostPosted 06.03.2014, 00:36 
Hi Swanton

No I am using the standard agent SDK animation library that is for SDK agent. The problem may be that I was trying to save time and replace the hand bones with new ones only, instead of replacing the whole skeleton and reskining the mesh, I just reskined the hand area.

Im sorry im not very familiar with bspace or aimposes or what they do, if you could tell me more that would be awesome. Otherwise I think I will just go and replace it with a new SDK Agent skeleton from 3ds max and copy over the skin, that should fix it as it worked before the hand bone adjustment.