View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 04.06.2010, 17:53Posts: 38 Likes: 0

Post Topic: SKP to MAX. cgf corrupt, but no errors when exporting.
PostPosted 17.08.2012, 05:03 
I've been giving modeling a try, and decided I would create a new building (based on textures from CGTextures) I need for a project we are working on. I know this isn't the best way to go, but since I'm not able to model in 3DStudio directly, I modeled the facade in Sketchup, and then imported the SKP in MAX. The thing is, it exports with no warnings at all, but when I open the cgf in the SDK, it's a mess, full of holes (mainly due to the fact that individual meshes are displaced from the relative coordinates thay shared in MAX) and with all round surfaces squared... When i check in in MAX, everything looks fine. I tried exporting to fbx and back into MAX, which actuually helped me with an issue with materials not being recognized when exporting from the original MAX files, and I did the same with obj and 3ds files, though this ones gave me errors when imported... I'm completely lost, and can't understand why this isn't working... I've attached the MAX files (along with its textures) for reference, in case anyone is willing to help me!!! If you need any other files to look at, please let me know and I'll try to upload them!!! Thanks in advance!!!! ;)
Attachments:

textures.zip
[4.99 MiB]
Downloaded 26 times
NeoclassicalBuilding01.zip
[6.6 MiB]
Downloaded 28 times

Trainee TraineeMember since: 24.09.2009, 13:33Posts: 138 Likes: 3

Post Topic: Re: SKP to MAX. cgf corrupt, but no errors when exporting.
PostPosted 17.08.2012, 07:45 
Try selecting all parts of the model and apply and reset Xform and then convert to editable poly. Also you may find that some of the polys normals may be the wronge way round.

PostPosted 17.08.2012, 21:41 
Hey, plumb, I've already applied/reset Xform but no luck... normals seem fine from what I can tell... It's pretty frustrating, but it would seem the only way to export cgf from max, is to create the model in max. Any other way, and you might get errors during the export process, or get this atrociously exported models as the one I got... if you or anyone has any further advice, it will be most welcome, but I'm guessing I will need to forget about my model, and just hire a 3dsmax modeler for each project I must complete. Pretty frustrtating since the model can export/import into every format I tried, and Maya, 3dsmax, CAD software, sketchup, can propery read and render them, but the cryexport plugin fails to do the same.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 21:36Posts: 6 Likes: 0

PostPosted 17.08.2012, 22:58 
Importing complicated Sketchup models into 3ds Max and exporting CFG from there is one of the worst way of making assets. I've tried it once just of curiosity and it ended in similar results.
It is true that you have to prepare your models in 3ds Max from very beginning. Sketchup is simple, but lacks many features like proper UV mapping and smoothing groups tweaking.
Your model also has too many polygons for a proper game asset. Mind this if you are preparing it for a game.

PostPosted 18.08.2012, 00:33 
Ales, it isn't meant for a game, so the polycount isn't an issue... in fact, it runs pretty fast when placed in the engine, but yes... evidently it is pretty impossible to go SKP-MAX-CGF... too bad, I wished I could import that building into our project... unless anyone has any idea how to do it...
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 16:06Posts: 41 Likes: 2

PostPosted 18.08.2012, 02:05 
Try this

1. Import skp to max
2. Export as obj ( export as quads in case need to do cleanup)
3. In new scene import obj
4. Export to CE

Deep View which is free can import skp and export to rh format. Import plugin
is available for max to import the rh file. Might be extra steps, but works in most
cases ( if mesh is clean). Deep View also imports many other file formats.

If you're NOT making great games, you belong
in an institute. The Game Institute!
www.gameinstitute.com
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 21:36Posts: 6 Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.08.2012, 04:08 
You may also try breaking your model into basic similar meshes in Sketchup. Don't export the whole building, it will cause lots of errors. Try to import these basic meshes individually into 3ds Max. You will have more control this way. Prepare these parts (check normals, apply proper smoothing groups) and try exporting them into Cryengine one by one. If they work fine you will be able to construct your building from these "blocks" in 3ds Max. Well, it sounds weird but it may help a bit.

PostPosted 18.08.2012, 07:30 
Tnaks guys, will try all your suggestions, and get back to you with my results...! ;)
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11735Location: Nottingham, UK Likes: 75

PostPosted 18.08.2012, 13:14 
Yeah, your mesh has 159k vertices and that's not considering extras created by smoothing groups etc. The limit for a single mesh is 2 ^ 16 vertices, or approx 65k.

Sketchup is the poster child for how NOT to create geometry for games:

Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Server programmer for Warface, Warface 360, and more