View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 10.02.2012, 10:58Posts: 9 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Modelers willing to model for free?
PostPosted 27.02.2012, 13:17 
I know it's a long shot... But is there any modelers who just loves modeling and would be willing to model for free? With a possible pay at the end depending on how much revenue is brought it?

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 01.09.2011, 17:10Posts: 10 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Modelers willing to model for free?
PostPosted 27.02.2012, 14:17 
What type of game are you considering of doing ? And what skills do you bring to the table ?
Do you have a GDD for the game ?

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 10:41 
I have already got a bit of a team lined up, and the game is set out. What you you mean, 'GDD' ?
And skills-wise, I am starting to learn C++, map design, and a whole lot of other stuff.
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 30.07.2008, 00:36Posts: 3932Location: Sthlm, Sweden Likes: 44

Post Topic:
PostPosted 28.02.2012, 10:55 
I guess he means Game Design Document. Which you probably have.

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 10:58 
Ahh okay, well not formally, but I am working on it. Overall everything is down and thought-out.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.05.2009, 22:40Posts: 34 Likes: 0

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 23:26 
I assume you mean, "willl talented 3d modellers work for free".
Alot of people go about asking for 3d modellers to do free work, thinking that a promise of pay at the end of the project or to do it to expand a portfolio is enough.

Firstly promises of pay or shares, never work out. How many mods have actually been made here, and how many have been purposed. It's really an empty promise. Alot of people see through that.

But the main reason is because they can get money else where, people are willing to pay for their work, not always alot, but atleast something.

So this leaves the only reason to work on your project is some burning passion for it. And that is really hard to achieve. You bothered working on anyone else's projects. It's pretty hard to get excited.

What may sound fun to you and what may be a great game simply may not be all that fun to work on for an artist. Modern warfare may be the best game ever made. But I bet the art team would of had more fun working on tf2. Also alot of projects that ask for modellers to work for free tend to be so big and detailed that it's simply unrealistic to expect one or two people to make it on passion alone (assuming you can mange to excite a team of modellers in the first place).

My advice look at frozen synapses and games like it. Simple artstyle that doesn't need much from a modeller. That's what you need to go for.

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 08:17 
Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from, a lot of work goes into these models to make them look detailed.. I knew it was going to be a long shot to find a talented modeller.

Also, does anyone know, is "Dear Esther" made in CryEngine? It looks very much like it is.
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 13.07.2011, 16:18Posts: 114 Likes: 1

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 11:08 
Dear Esther was made in Source (half-life 2 engine). The rotatey around grass is testament to that ;)

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 11:19 
Haha okay, it looked like CryEngine. o.O
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 16:05Posts: 89Location: Germany Likes: 1

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 21:03 
Any 3d artist, who is on start line of his career, possibly will join nice team to create a mod\addon\demo. But there is the problem - lack of skilled teams who is not playing "well, I'll be a developer someday" (sry, may be it's harsh).

You don't need just to be able to pay artists for cool content, you have to be able to do your part of job and in same quality like you want artist to do it for your game.

People who is posting threads with "oh, but I don't have GDD and I'm not too cool in coding\modeling" also will not find any help, as I think.

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2011, 05:21Posts: 796Location: Alberta / Canada Likes: 12

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 22:22 
If you have a promising project, some talented modelers may go for a percentage of the profits.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 16:05Posts: 89Location: Germany Likes: 1

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 23:18 
Quote by Johnny Guitar:
If you have a promising project, some talented modelers may go for a percentage of the profits.

I'm realist and I don't look so far, profits etc. It's far far not first thing to discuss.

PostPosted 02.03.2012, 09:15 
It's true that I am still learning C++, and I do not have a GDD, but I am just wondering if, in the future, when we are completely ready will there be anyone to model. When we are an experienced team of developers.
I realise it will take time (if at all) to find a modeller with the required skills and passion, which is why I've started my search early, this doesn't mean I will have use for the modeller straight away, it just means I want to find one for when I am ready to start developing.
Also, I'm not asking for them to work for 'free' per say, if revenue is brought in, they will get a percentage to be confirmed based on the amount of revenue.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.05.2009, 22:40Posts: 34 Likes: 0

PostPosted 02.03.2012, 12:38 
Quote by hamyoh1:
It's true that I am still learning C++, and I do not have a GDD, but I am just wondering if, in the future, when we are completely ready will there be anyone to model. When we are an experienced team of developers.
I realise it will take time (if at all) to find a modeller with the required skills and passion, which is why I've started my search early, this doesn't mean I will have use for the modeller straight away, it just means I want to find one for when I am ready to start developing.
Also, I'm not asking for them to work for 'free' per say, if revenue is brought in, they will get a percentage to be confirmed based on the amount of revenue.

Firstly that IS asking them to work for free. Secondly as I have already said a talented modeller can find work else where. So if you are going to find a modeller now expecting them to commit to the project in 6 months time, things may of greatly changed for them by that point.
I was going to do some work for free a while back, a week after I accepted I got an offer for paid work.

PostPosted 02.03.2012, 15:25 
sry for offtopic, but.. As I see, author is asking for artist without showing something and telling something, like "join us and then I will show you what do we have here". It's, at least, not serious.