Tools Feedback & Support

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.12.2007, 23:05Posts: 36 Likes: 2

Post Topic: CryEngine 3 needs a work offline mode
PostPosted 17.08.2011, 19:48 
A suggestion - please add a "work offline" option for those of us who may not have an internet connection every time we would like to work on our laptops on the road, at work, or anywhere else we may not have the ability to easily connect to a network. I can't be the only one who's thinking this..?

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 16.06.2008, 22:11Posts: 4307Location: Oulu, Finland Likes: 7

Post Topic: Re: CryEngine 3 needs a work offline mode
PostPosted 17.08.2011, 19:57 
It would make sense :rolleyes:

Many people travelling with their laptops would certainly appreciate a possibility to work offline.

Zip-line release 2012-04-24 (for CE2 & CE3) · C1 mod project: A mod called Entry
Assets · Blender: Destroyable object tutorial for CryBlend

- currently lost in New Eden -
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 04:36Posts: 28 Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 04:48 
This is a show stopper for me as well. Hopefully there is a workaround????
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 04:55 
Currently there is no way around this, however I agree, it is quite essential to be able to utilize the SDK without an internet connection. However the CE3 evaluation license and the CE3 student license both also require a permenant internet connection, so I am unsure how Crytek will respond to this.
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 19.12.2008, 21:31Posts: 260Location: Germany Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 04:56 
Quote:
"Many people travelling with their laptops would certainly appreciate a possibility to work offline. :rolleyes: "

Sounds a bit ironic using this smile. So you think no laptop is actually capable of running Sandbox3(TM) or is it just that I missunderstood?

@Topic:
I would highly appreciate the ability of an offline mode. If the login is just for protection -why can't the users decide? You should be able to work on encrypted .cry files with your account logged in and if you don't need such an encryption you should be allowed to leave it. That way you could use the files offline. Simple as that. If other features are implemented which require an account -for example some SVN thing for .cry files or something like that it should end up in everybdy logging in who can.

Goldsteal - is logged in into Sanbox3 ;) What choice do I have?

Btw.: @Fortran: I just read the TFB thread today - congratulations to your new job! Jugding from your work for both CryRecon and TFB you really deserve it dude!
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 07.11.2007, 18:21Posts: 1295 Likes: 74

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 05:16 
Knowing why you must be connected to the internet to work in the SDK, I believe it would be a bad idea to flat out allow an offline mode. If there absolutely must be an offline mode, it should only work with unprotected files.
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 17.04.2008, 00:04Posts: 360 Likes: 13

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 06:07 
Just downloaded it this afternoon and must say that I am very happy to have been proven wrong about my suspicion that the release was going to be late, +1 for Crytek.

I am leaving town for the next few days and will be away from my internet connection and would also love to be able to play around with this, but will have to wait because of the lack of an off-line mode. -1 Crytek.

Otherwise I am pleased with this release. Obviously it needs some updating in several areas but some of the missing things from the Crysis2 SDK are here. I'm currently pleased with Crytek's product and will now stop my exploration of UDK and re-focus my attention back to Cryengine.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 17.08.2011, 20:52Posts: 1 Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 09:16 
No offline mode?
No thank you!
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 17.08.2011, 23:17Posts: 9Location: UK and Sudan Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 11:35 
that will cost me $150 a month to stay online,

also will rule out 95% of the population in africa, sure they got computers but internet access is expensive
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9869Location: Finland Likes: 176

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 11:41 
Quote by ticad123:
that will cost me $150 a month to stay online,

also will rule out 95% of the population in africa, sure they got computers but internet access is expensive

Yeah, because currently Crydev is flooded by a stream of African users. :rolleyes:
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 16.01.2011, 07:37Posts: 154Location: USA Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 14:01 
Quote by aeternus:
A suggestion - please add a "work offline" option for those of us who may not have an internet connection every time we would like to work on our laptops on the road, at work, or anywhere else we may not have the ability to easily connect to a network. I can't be the only one who's thinking this..?

+1
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.01.2011, 19:22Posts: 34 Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 14:57 
an offline mode would be good. But I think you don't have to be online the whole time you use the editor. Just for login purposes.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 18.02.2009, 10:55Posts: 328 Likes: 22

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 16:12 
Quote by xureus:
an offline mode would be good. But I think you don't have to be online the whole time you use the editor. Just for login purposes.

And whats with the programmers who need to restart the editor quite often to check if changes are working? Best way would be to check whats going over the port and build a lokal illusion server who pretends to be the crydev server.... tough crytek would kill us if we would release such a prog. :whistle:

Dosnt even understand why they make such thing - the sdk is the same as the ce2 mod sdk, so there is no need for this crap.
  Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 23:44Posts: 620Location: Hastings County, Ontario, Canada Likes: 21

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 16:17 
It also adds up for people like me who live on anemic bandwidth caps (damn Bell and their penchant for ripping customers off!). Why is having to log in even necessary? The most I can see it being used for is automatic engine updates, and even then, that can be done over an anonymous TCP connection.

Quote by Cry-JR:
Our player is a retired Resident Evil background actor and sometimes... he shows his evil side.

Quote by thegeek:
Xbox is down, someone call the ambulance!  Wii u Wii u Wii u
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.08.2011, 17:20Posts: 283 Likes: 13

PostPosted 18.08.2011, 16:21 
In my game design university course technical failure does not count for extending deadlines. So if the accomodation connection fails for a few days before the deadline I would be pretty much f*cked with the current SDK which needs a connection to work with it. So I sure hope they will release an offline version because the current version is a HUGE risk to work with.