View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 23:50Posts: 1731 Likes: 8

Post Topic: Re: Rayman: Revenge of the Dark
PostPosted 30.06.2012, 13:45 
1-4 million polygons is no problem for the current mid- to high spec systems... I'm very glad to hear you go for a high polycount. Even a console can handle 800k polygons so going up to 3 million shouln't be the problem for current PCs.

Last edited by NeoLegends on 06.07.2012, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

Trainee TraineeMember since: 24.09.2011, 11:14Posts: 139Location: Dar-es-salaam Likes: 0

PostPosted 04.07.2012, 09:21 
OMG OMG OMG I remember where I played this character now!!! It was my very first video game then came mario! If you need an help with anything even voice I'll be there!

hmmmmmmmm no wait , oh no never mind
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.02.2011, 22:08Posts: 25Location: Sweden Likes: 0

PostPosted 17.08.2012, 01:13 
Looks amazing great work!, Only thing i would like to "complain" about is the rock textures non of those looks good in any video or screenshot you have done so far, and does not look anything close to the rest of the environments, Or are you going to cover it with rock models later on, in that case sorry for pointing it out!.
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 11.11.2011, 07:36Posts: 838Location: Asia Likes: 2

PostPosted 21.08.2012, 06:18 
Great game RayFan9876 :))

Role :Texture artist
My skills : Level Designer|Game Designer|Sound Designer|3D Artist|2D Artist|
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 14.03.2008, 21:31Posts: 1760 Likes: 38

PostPosted 22.08.2012, 12:20 
Yeah, I don't know if I said that before, but your work is great. The character (+ animations), the incredible soundtrack and the love you put in are admirable.

User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5484Location: British Columbia Likes: 163

PostPosted 04.09.2012, 03:46 
Quote by Jungla:
Looks amazing great work!, Only thing i would like to "complain" about is the rock textures non of those looks good in any video or screenshot you have done so far, and does not look anything close to the rest of the environments, Or are you going to cover it with rock models later on, in that case sorry for pointing it out!.

Those are fixed.

Quote by Thomy:
Yeah, I don't know if I said that before, but your work is great. The character (+ animations), the incredible soundtrack and the love you put in are admirable.

Thanks Thomy! :) If you like the animations now, then you'll love these:

Massive update everyone!

This is the biggest update in the last nine months. I know I got a news post in June, but I was kind of hoping it would wait. :P

Quote by Description:
Yeah, it's a little after August, but I have a good excuse. :P

As you can see, Rayman's model, animations and mechanics overall have been totally revamped from the cat puke that the November update was; sorry, no helicopter/fighting mechanics yet, that comes at a later time, and actually requires a good amount of scripting to be done. And, as you can also tell, The Dream Forest has undergone some pretty massive upgrades... as well as a whole batch of new levels to look at.

The intro scene from 0:25 to 0:52 is actually entirely rendered in 3ds Max, which is how I plan to do most of my major cutscenes - the whole section up to 0:52 is actually part of the game's introduction. From 1:20 to 1:45, you can see the Logic session where I created the track that is currently playing.

Below you can click on timelinks that send you directly to each section of the video, like you can in my soundtrack parts. Right at 20:00 is where I do a detailed flythrough of each of Rayman's complete animations (as well as slapping them on his counterpart briefly). Then in the last minute of video, you can see some voices dubbed onto characters. Oui, that is The Grand Vulture Rhook.

0:00 - Hyping Thing

2:20 - The Dream Forest
7:24 - The Memory Realm
9:45 - Gemstone Ruins
11:57 - Music Mountain
13:33 - The Ice Volcano
15:25 - Temporal Palace
16:43 - Canyon of the Lost
18:23 - Picture City

20:00 - Detailed Animation Flythrough
28:37 - A Few Voice Dubs

Special thanks to Cry-Mika for teaching me so extensively how to get greatly functional characters/rigs/animations working!
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.07.2011, 21:46Posts: 1426 Likes: 108

PostPosted 04.09.2012, 03:51 
Brilliant!

Somehow this reminds me of Kingdom Hearts.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.04.2010, 18:17Posts: 1389Location: Canada Eh ! Likes: 20

PostPosted 04.09.2012, 03:56 
Great Update !

Animations and level design are excellent!

:D

User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5203 Likes: 253

PostPosted 04.09.2012, 04:57 
oh nice progress :D

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 04.09.2012, 05:08 
I really like where this is going.

Delicious.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.02.2009, 12:25Posts: 295Location: Australia Likes: 4

PostPosted 06.09.2012, 13:10 
God yes, absolutely loving the environments RayFan, your creativity will surely pay off one of these days :D

Actually, I love everything you're doing at the moment, the environments just stand out the most when it really is the complete package that we are all watching :D

Keep it up, it's inspiring :)
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 25.01.2010, 15:54Posts: 2053Location: Moscow, Russia Likes: 57

PostPosted 07.09.2012, 13:07 
Heh, yeah, that was...Massive! Assets are extremely nice indeed.

Loving God gives you Happiness, Knowledge, Strength and Freedom.
AURAYAMA on Crydev & AURAYAMA in Russia :)
Portfolio: AndreyFilantrop on deviantART
Life by FlowGraph!
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5484Location: British Columbia Likes: 163

PostPosted 15.09.2012, 04:36 
Hahah, thanks everyone! :D

Quote by otreum:
God yes, absolutely loving the environments RayFan, your creativity will surely pay off one of these days :D

Actually, I love everything you're doing at the moment, the environments just stand out the most when it really is the complete package that we are all watching :D

Keep it up, it's inspiring :)

I hope something will come out of it indeed. Obviously my goal is to get it published in the end. :)

Also, I got a lot of comments on how a lot of the atmosphere looked a bit monotone in some places. I was also aware of this already in some places like the Ice Volcano, which was just all rock. Now there's ice and snow galore!

I actually spent about an hour trying to get the right ice effect for the terrain shader, and I think it turned out great.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 28.08.2012, 08:59Posts: 88 Likes: 0

PostPosted 15.09.2012, 19:00 
Are you planning to comercially release this? If so, aren't you worried about problems coming up with the owners of the rayman IP?

It looks great though; gives me hope that a person can make a commercial quality game by themselves. I particularly like the music, was it all done with commercial software, or did you use some free tools as well? I'm trying to find free tools for all stages of game development to avoid legal problems.

PostPosted 16.09.2012, 21:19 
Well obviously I'd have to go through all the messy stuff with Ubisoft if that ever were to happen. :P I'm not about to get sued for all my money.

I use Logic for most of my music, and depending what it is, I might also export the tracks to Pro Tools to do further mixing with more advanced plugins. Neither of them are free, but if you want a good reference, Logic is like the paid version of Garage Band, but far, far more professionally active than Garage Band. Along with that though, I use a decent amount of miked recording, like guitar, voice, flute, or other instruments that really add a touch of realism if miked.