View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 17.12.2007, 04:08Posts: 1091Location: Australia Likes: 5

Post Topic: Melee Combat Prototype - New Video on Page 3 (12.10.13)
PostPosted 01.06.2012, 01:59 
Hi everyone,

Over the past year or so we have been crystallising a set of gameplay systems. Though we have a few specific game concepts in mind, they all have some systems in common, and it’s these common systems that we hope to build up, test out and refine as early as possible.

Our Core Goals
We have designed these systems to be:

- Comprehensive: fully integrated with one another, aesthetically and practically,
- Iterative: designed to be initially simple, and playable early on, but capable of improvement and amenable to upgrades, and
- Non-specific: useable (and re-useable), with new or altered assets, in a variety of game styles and universes

Our Background and the Melee Combat System
We are currently seeking coders to assist us in implementing a prototype melee combat system. We’ve brought to bear years of experience in traditional Japanese martial arts and historical forms of European swordsmanship to design a system that combines:

- Physical realism;
- An approach intended to foster emergent gameplay; and
- An emphasis on freedom of control

Although we want to keep the specifics of our system under wraps for now, the mechanics of the system, and their interactions, have been planned in detail and we are now ready to begin the implementation process. For this we need a competent coder from whom we would also welcome creative input. We have an animator and a modeller able and ready to produce the assets necessary for the prototyping process.

Animation Demonstration

This video shows a short sequence of attacks intended as a demonstration of the broad style of combat we hope to achieve in our Melee Combat Prototype for the CryEngine 3 SDK. The quality of this demonstration is not indicative of the final quality.

Although this animation will not feature in the Prototype itself, it is illustrative of the kinds of attack (and the ability to chain attacks) around which the Prototype will be built.

How and when the systems will be used
We have plans for a variety of potential projects which would utilise these mechanics, but we realise that gameplay is not just the first step, it is the fundamental one. For that reason, prototyping of these core mechanics is our top priority.

Of course our eventual goal is not just to create exciting gameplay systems and experiences, but to tell stories and to present unique worlds; for this reason 2D and 3D artists are also more than welcome to get in touch.

A Note on Scope
The initial version of the prototype is designed to include the minimum possible assets and systems. Because of this, even a very brief commitment by a competent coder would make all the difference to our prospects for success.

If you would like to be a part of the team beginning with this experimental phase, feel free to post, or send me a PM or an email through impossible.pinwheel@gmail.com.

Last edited by Ilsamir Lord on 12.10.2013, 06:40, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 01.07.2011, 11:33Posts: 131 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Melee Combat Prototype
PostPosted 01.06.2012, 02:20 
"- An emphasis on freedom of control" <-- If this means that actual moves depend in which direction you move the mouse, similar to style seen in Metal Gear Rising trailers, that would be very cool. I'm sure, if done properly, it could bring hack'n'slash games to a whole new level.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 13.01.2012, 23:06Posts: 46 Likes: 0

PostPosted 01.06.2012, 04:08 
i like you idea guys , i started in something little similar from a while ( when i saw the first trailer to max payne 3 :) ) and got shoked from the realism in motion and reaction and also for implemnting the naturalmotion plugin in Rage engine , but ofcourse i stopped because lots of heavy projects at work, anyway il ike the idea & it will be great in cryengine

THUMB UP
:)

Muhammad A.Moniem
Lead Game Developer
mamoniem.wordpress.com
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 30.05.2012, 06:08Posts: 2 Likes: 0

PostPosted 01.06.2012, 16:39 
I like this topic and i love combat...!!! :P

becker knife

Last edited by brielle on 03.06.2012, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 17.12.2007, 04:08Posts: 1091Location: Australia Likes: 5

PostPosted 02.06.2012, 04:36 
Player1 - Mouse input will control the attack direction, but the combat itself isn't designed to be "hack and slash". We're going for something a bit more tactical and cautious. Of course, players will be able to fight in a hack and slash style, but they probably won't have much success :p . Fighting with swords is incredibly deadly, and from our experience in historical sword styles, the important thing is not just cutting the enemy, but not getting cut yourself.

mamoniem - Thanks :) ! The animation systems in Max Payne are really impressive, that's for sure. We won't be requiring anything that complex for our system, but it's nice to see that the technology (and technique) is maturing towards more lifelike animation.

brielle - Stay tuned :happy:

General Update
Both our animator and our modeller are keeping busy, designing, referencing and working on the place-holder assets for the prototype.

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 19.08.2011, 20:19Posts: 14 Likes: 0

PostPosted 02.06.2012, 10:36 
hehe, dead by the sword need a revamp :D
Your animation kick ass !
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.08.2011, 11:19Posts: 36 Likes: 1

PostPosted 02.06.2012, 16:44 
I'll follow your dev as I am also brainstorming a game prototype based on mouse direction (as "Mount and blade", "War of the Roses").

PostPosted 03.06.2012, 09:33 
Skurcey - Thank you :]

--Em-- - Glad to hear you'll be following progress.

Update
We're starting to make a bit of head-way with the coding side of things, though we would still benefit immensely from a team-mate experienced or trained in coding :) . If nothing else we are ironing out possible ways that our sub-systems can be practically implemented.

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 13.09.2011, 23:55Posts: 39 Likes: 0

PostPosted 03.06.2012, 09:41 
Ilsamir Lord

The video shows the animation of the third person, will be the first?
Because you know the fight from the first face has many tricks, I saw it in the Dark Messiah and Chronicles of **** game .
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 29.05.2012, 06:57Posts: 1 Likes: 0

PostPosted 03.06.2012, 15:14 
For the moment we're planning on a third person camera. Later on we may look at having an optional first person camera, or having a first person camera in some situations.

We're not too keen on heavy camera effects (shaking, blurring etc.), but we might end up using some later, particularly for any first person stuff.

Of course these are issues for a later stage of development. Our first priority is to get a simple prototype of the fundamental combat mechanics. For that we'll be using a third person camera in the first instance.

Melee Combat Prototype
Seeking Coders - click the link for more information
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9874Location: Finland Likes: 181

PostPosted 03.06.2012, 17:30 
Wow, you're still around after all. :) The concept and the demonstration video look really good, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress. ;) I've been conjuring up ideas for a melee combat system myself, but haven't got up to the prototyping stage yet.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 08.02.2012, 19:24Posts: 18 Likes: 0

PostPosted 03.06.2012, 22:44 
I'm hoping this will be something like mount and blade only maybe a bit more elegant, keep up the good work!
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 17.12.2011, 08:44Posts: 865 Likes: 22

PostPosted 04.06.2012, 02:05 
this is great,i like it.Keep up the good job
just ask:is this 1 hit kill game or with blood count?

Portfolio
"As far as assets go, your vegitation is pretty good" -Ryan Schake [Themodman101]

PostPosted 04.06.2012, 12:38 
the_grim - Thanks, grim - I was glad to see you were still around, too, Superstar Dolphin that you are :D

Edo. - Cheers!

axeldev - Thank you :) We have given the damage model a bit of thought. I'll say for the moment that kills won't necessarily be "one hit", but we are trying to be relatively realistic about the kind of damage weapons like these can do.

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 20.09.2011, 23:12Posts: 232Location: mexico Likes: 18

PostPosted 04.06.2012, 12:46 
nice...ill keep watching this thread. I'm also working on a project that includes melee fighting, a stylized female character killing huge monsters. is it very difficult to create the scripts and stuff? I'm not a programmer