View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 30.07.2011, 17:48Posts: 142Location: adelaide Australia Likes: 0

Post Topic: Untitled - {WIP} my own RPG using cryEngine 3*
PostPosted 03.09.2011, 19:38 
Hello all, thought id share what im doing at the moment.
it's just an early set piece design for my CryEngine 3 Medievil RPG game.

This is but one of thousands of items i'll be making to help make my game feel very real, epic and of course a very interesting time period that has such a broad sectrum to choose from in terms of design elements. Ranging from fantasy to real and back again. There's just about no boundaries here, i can have dragons, elfs, dwarves, minotaurs etc..

The idea is a fusion of CryEngine 3 mixed with an RPG & Tactical warfare.
Think Gladiator*/ mixed with Crysis* and a massive RPG setting filled with diverse characters and locations.. None of that overhype stuff you hear on the back of game boxes here.. just steadfast dedication & commitment in seing through what ive started til the end. Anyone who would like to participate in adding set pieces, characters, architecture, or anything else just PM me to join the team. At the moment it's just me and i still need to come up with a name for my development company. But support either way is appreciated,
I want this to have a smooth transition from fighting to puzzle solving to conversing with the worlds characters like in " Dragon Age or Deus Ex Human Revolution" ..
This game will feature many side quests, treasures, bosses, and scenarios. you must spend time battling etc to level up and be at least a certain level to beat the secret bosses..

So far below is a picture of my latest level design idea in Sketchup*. not finished thou just a rough sketchup of the front of a boat. Also a drawing i did for the Centaur* that'll feature in the game.
thanks for reading.
Clint.
Attachments:

rpg character art1.jpg
YeOlde Boat.jpg

My all new Professional Portfolio is here.. Take a visit here to get into the mindset that is me!

http://www.wix.com/dragonborn82develope ... portfolio#!

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 25.12.2008, 08:07Posts: 849 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Untitled - {WIP} my own RPG using cryEngine 3*
PostPosted 04.09.2011, 04:31 
I like it, but considering it's only you at the moment, I recommend just building a small prototype first. Scale the project down, just to test what would it take creating all that stuff. Make one level, one character, and so on first. I've seen a lot of mods start with a huge scope but it turns out the work is too much and the projects die.
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 30.07.2011, 17:48Posts: 142Location: adelaide Australia Likes: 0

PostPosted 04.09.2011, 05:12 
Thanks for the reply.
yes it's going to be difficult being it's only me. but yes i intent to make a simple mockup, and afew characters, prehaps 2% of the game in a one level form. See how it all goes then make more. This project won't die, im just weighing up my time with this and completing my crysis 1 map. hopefully in the next 2 days my order for the program suite will get to my doorstep..
at the moment only using trials of 3dsmax and zbrush.

My all new Professional Portfolio is here.. Take a visit here to get into the mindset that is me!

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.07.2011, 16:21Posts: 29 Likes: 0

PostPosted 04.09.2011, 18:12 
First off I wanted to say that I really like the drawing, allso out of interest how experinced are you would u say with zbrush and 3ds max? and can you post some of your work even if its not related to this?
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 05.07.2011, 06:10Posts: 182 Likes: 2

PostPosted 04.09.2011, 23:26 
Ill keep an eye on this
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 22.03.2010, 08:07Posts: 377Location: ***** Likes: 0

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 04:00 
I think you need to brush up on your modeling skills before you take on a project like that. You seem to be using a lot of geometry as a part of the texture when it should really only be used to define the silhouette of the model.

Also, I have no idea what that is that is in the screenshot.

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 05:21 
Thanks for the reply's.
glad that you like the art JIBRAIL* art is definatly one of my strong points, prehaps i'll make up a website to showcase everything ive done such as art and 3d stuff, photography.
i only just got the 30 day trials of zbrush & 3dsmax recently. im busy with this and my crysis 1 map at the moment. Zbrush im still trying to get the basics down and understand all the functions it contains, same with 3ds max.. but i think im a quick learner and should have proven that with my work on "dead weight".
ill definatly try to get some of my work together to show here. Thanks for the interest guys.

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 09:38 
Heya all.
just a note: i've created a website, so i'll start adding lots there soon it's only basic at the moment but check it out anyways, thanks. ill be adding my crysis work there too.

www.wix.com/duke_nukem_is_foreve/my-portfolio

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 06:28 
Ah' good news everyone.
i've finally got my 3d studio max 2012 edition at home as of now.. :)
so once i get some good models up and running i'll showcase them here!
such as castles, weapons, people etc.

PostPosted 09.09.2011, 16:30 
hello guys, im back here just with afew pictures to showcase.
i'm currently very busy in 3ds max 2012, Maya, Mudbox & Sketchbook Designer, so ive not that much to show yet as tutorials have been where i've spent most of my time.
That and playing another game i got yesterday Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer..

but anyhow here's some tweaking i did of the sketchup* boat i made Run in Zbrush and just messing around, Also a simple model using 3ds max & Zbrush i did thanks to the Many tutorials online! > an Aus desert camo M4 Carbine! :))
Attachments:

AUS DESERT CAMO M4 DESIGN 1.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.04.2010, 22:50Posts: 1230Location: In front of a computer Likes: 3

PostPosted 09.09.2011, 21:14 
Quote by coheed82:
hello guys, im back here just with afew pictures to showcase.
i'm currently very busy in 3ds max 2012, Maya, Mudbox & Sketchbook Designer, so ive not that much to show yet as tutorials have been where i've spent most of my time.
That and playing another game i got yesterday Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer..

but anyhow here's some tweaking i did of the sketchup* boat i made Run in Zbrush and just messing around, Also a simple model using 3ds max & Zbrush i did thanks to the Many tutorials online! > an Aus desert camo M4 Carbine! :))

Not to discourage you, sound mean or anything like that but i think you need to sharpen your skills a little before you attempt a project of this scale...

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 12:14 
thanks for the advice.
i realise i'm just starting out, but ya gotta start somewhere, and getting the harder stuff down good is what im striving to learn.
not to mention my time is spent doing many things but i'm going at my own pace here, finally things have turned out good for me where i can relax and start learning this stuff so if all goes well this project will come to light even if it's in stages, say i release small episodes or something.

PostPosted 25.09.2011, 23:21 
Hey guys, im back with a small update. learning 3dsmax from scratch this year is difficult, but im getting the tutorials down and also learning by making mistakes on my own.
here's afew shots of what im designing at the moment.
i want this to be a fully functioning, flying dragon that i can place into cryEngine 3 as an enemy character... using reference materials and my imagination, im working on the head so far.

my new PORTFOLIO!!!

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 27.10.2007, 14:11Posts: 225Location: Germany, Berlin Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.09.2011, 00:59 
maybe you should not start with a character. start with a building, then some more complex like a gun, car or some vegetation. and after you completed this with a great meshflow, uv-maps, diffuse, normal, spec maps, you should start with a character.

you should also dont drop the tutorials. max from the scretch without any hand-holding ... there is no need for it!

i also read your cv: focus on one tool, not max, maya, softimage, sketchup at the same time. its way enough if you familiar with one. you will need nearly two years to become an professional in one tool.

and @ your portfolio: dont picture what the cryengine did with your stuff, picture what you did with the cryengine. showing some blurry pictures with 60% lightshafts do not represent your work. your work should also looking awesome in every other aged engine.

but at the end these just my two cents.

Design Intern @ Yager Development
http://www.kentutainment.de
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 22.03.2010, 08:07Posts: 377Location: ***** Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.09.2011, 04:07 
Yes. You really need to work on the basics before you try something that complex. Your dragon does not really look like a dragon at the moment.