General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.09.2012, 20:04Posts: 6 Likes: 1

Post Topic: Oculus Rift MMORPG - SAO - Using Cryengine 3
PostPosted 20.05.2013, 20:58 
Some of my ideas for an MMORPG developed for the Oculus Rift that is created using the Cryengine 3.

If anyone has watched the anime Sword Art Online you will know what I am going to talk about.
For those of you that have not seen it, I would like you to watch the below video; so that you can get an idea of what I will be talking about.

Back on topic, as you have seen in the series, the players are placed into a virtual MMO world using an Oculus Rift-like device. Now what I would like, and many others, is for some developers out there to create an MMORPG like that of Sword Art Online, but without the nerve gear "You die in the game you die in real life". This MMORPG would also be first person and the camera of your in-game avatar would be placed on the head, around the eye-level, area allowing you to see your body as you would in real life. For example if you look down you would see your legs and feet, if you look to the side you would see your shoulder and arms etc...

Now onto the technical bits.
To accomplish this, you would use the Oculus Rift as the screen/virtual reality to project the game environment (not sure if the Oculus Rift uses a sound system - if it does it would also project the MMORPG's audio).
An Xbox Kinect/Kinect 2 sensor would be used to 'scan' the player into the game, if they wished, and used to track the players gestures and voice commands. Below is a video of the Kinect working with the Oculus Rift.

That's correct, you read right, this MMORPG will have no use of keyboard and mouse or a controller, but instead will use hand gestures and voice commands to control the player and activate skills in the game. (The voice sensor on the Kinect/Kinect 2 will be used for in-game chat further eliminating the need for a keyboard and mouse/controller).
If this leak/rumor is anything to go by, it could make this possible - especially the items in bold;

Quote:
Skeleton Tracking

The skeleton tracking system on Durango will be enhanced over the Xbox 360 system with the following new or improved features.

New features:

- Tracking of players with height of one meter.
- One mode for both seated and standing players.
- Detection of hand states, for example, open or closed hands.
- Detection of extra joints, and rotations for some joints.

Impoved features:

- Tracking of six, rather than­­­­­­ two, active players.
- Tracking of occluded joints, for example, an elbow occluded by a hand.
- Detection of joint positions.
- Detection of sideways poses.

You can read the rest here.

Example of how the gestures and voice commands would work;
- For menus you could use hand gestures/voice commands to open the in-game menus, for example you could use a voice command by saying "Menu -> Select Options" or "Open Guild Menus". You could also use a hand gesture such as crossing your wrists over each other to bring up a menu system like that which is in TERA Online and use your real life hands to control a cursor. Or you could use the said gesture to bring up a menu system, like what is in Sword Art Online, and use your in-game hands to select options; controlling them with your real hands. (This is my favourite menu style).
- For skills you could use the voice command option and say what skill you want to use "Use <insert skill name here>" or "Use Skill 1". You could also use, my personal favourite, hand gestures, which will be viewed in real-time on your virtual character. For example to activate a weapon skill such as imbuing your weapon with magic/poison could use a hand gesture, for a one handed sword, depending on the hand it is in, you could move your free hand in an arc shape from the hilt of your sword to the tip. For duel wielding swords you could use your non-main hand and do the same gesture, as the one hand, over your main hands weapon, for me it would be my left hand making an arc over my right handed weapon, from hilt to tip.
Blocking with a shield would be easy as you could say "Block" or for a gesture could be to bring up both hands in front of you.
- For items you could use a voice command, such as "Use <type could go here, such as lesser or greater> Health Potion" or "Use <type could go here, such as lesser or greater> stamina potion". (Using potions would bring up a short animation of your character rooting through their inventory and picking out the correct potion and drinking it). Food and equipment would work the same, for food "Eat <insert food name here>" (eating and drinking, except potions, could activate a small mini-type-game where you have to act out eating/drinking, bring the item up to your face a few times. Or you could use the menu system to locate and activate the item. (For items such as potions you would use voice commands as this would make it easier during battle).
- For chat the Kinect mic would always be active so you wouldn't really need anything special, except that to talk to guild and party members you would have to be in reasonable distance of each other. For example to talk to your guild, you would have to organise guild meetings. To talk to a party member you would need to be close to them also. So all in all everyone can here what you say, the only safe places would be behind closed doors of your own in-game house/at an inn, although players proficient in stealth could here through those doors. (Whispering could also be implemented into the game by calibrating the Kinect's mic to your voices loudness and whispering "Whisper <insert player name here>". (Basically just talk quieter to each other).
- Trading would be done via menus.
- Movement would be done with an added wrist device that has a thumb stick attachment, press in the direction to move in that direction click it to walk and click it again to run. (You would use you head to turn the camera). The thumb stick wrist device would be made from a modified wireless Xbox 360 controller, that uses only the left thumb stick PCB, the wireless transceiver would be placed inside the wrist band. This thumb stick would also, depending on which hand it is in, would tell the game which is your main hand.

All of the control gestures will play animations on your in-game character whether it is scrolling through menus or equipping and using items. For example moving your arms would move your in-game characters arms in the same way that you moved your arms.
In addition the game would be best played either sitting or, more comfortably, lying down.

I'm not a coder or a developer of games, I wanted to post this to see if I could attract some attention from developers who would like to work on creating a game like this. The only way I could help with the game creation, other than providing this outline :P, would be to create a story to go with the game as I do like to write. (I do not own an Oculus Rift developer kit, so developers would need to supply one, although I do have a Kinect).

I would like to here your thoughts and if you have any questions, or if you would like some more information, please feel free to ask ^^

Trainee TraineeMember since: 14.12.2011, 18:48Posts: 144 Likes: 24

Post Topic: Re: Oculus Rift MMORPG - SAO - Using Cryengine 3
PostPosted 20.05.2013, 21:26 
Didn't read it all - don't take me wrong, I'm sure its interesting - for a simple reason:
You're combining the hardest concept ever: MMOs and innovative technology.
Either you have a massive amount of funding, or let it go.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.10.2012, 18:08Posts: 63Location: Germany/Reutlingen Likes: 2

PostPosted 20.05.2013, 21:36 
As far as i know a MMORPG is the worst genre for using the Oculus Rift because of the motion sickness. Playing a longer period of time (>30min) with a Oculus Rift is not possible. (as far as i heard by a beta tester) Voice control is too slow for time critical systems like a computer game and gesture control doesnt work as good as people wish it to be. Not even mentioning the ethical/psychological part and the danger of loosing yourself in a digital world.

We should better wait and see how Oculus Rift works using a mouse/controler.

PostPosted 20.05.2013, 23:41 
Quote by jiub:
As far as i know a MMORPG is the worst genre for using the Oculus Rift because of the motion sickness. Playing a longer period of time (>30min) with a Oculus Rift is not possible. (as far as i heard by a beta tester) Voice control is too slow for time critical systems like a computer game and gesture control doesnt work as good as people wish it to be. Not even mentioning the ethical/psychological part and the danger of loosing yourself in a digital world.

We should better wait and see how Oculus Rift works using a mouse/controler.

As far as I have heard, the motion sickness is dependent on the person? I had also suggested the best way to play would be to lie down, this was to lessen/counteract the effects of motion sickness.
I had used the voice commands in my examples just to show how they could be used effectively. I wouldn't expect them to be used for skills, but for things like opening menus and activating items i thought it would be relatively quick and easy.
The gestures I had used in the examples were simple and not overly complicated so they could be used for the Kinect 1, if the rumors about the Kinect 2 are true then these gestures would be possible and could even become more complex without loss of performance.
I will come on to the ethical/psychological effects later, but to counter Psychological and Physiological effects on the body, you could implement a Timed Break System where after certain parameters are met then the player is 'Forced' to take a break. For instance, the player would be logged off, after so many continuous hours of play - maybe 9 hours, and would not be able to log on for 3 hours (these numbers can be changed, they were used only as examples). If a player is in the middle of a PVP or Dungeon/BAM, then the game will wait until the PVP/Dungeon/BAM has been completed.
Or you could just insert a ToS/License agreement saying that you should only be playing for so long as not to cause physical and psychological harm to yourself. Adding a leaflet that says to take regular breaks and eat and drink normally etc.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 15.05.2009, 10:00Posts: 1 Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.05.2013, 05:34 
1.http://www.scentsciences.com/products/scent_scape.html for smell of flowers,grass food ect in game
2.http://www.emotiv.com/store/hardware/epoc-bci/epoc-neuroheadset/ for running jumping ect and using ki powers ect
3.leap motion for fingers,wrists ,hands position and even prop detection like a hilt of a sword https://www.leapmotion.com/product

4.http://www.virtuix.com/%20a%20omnidirectional%20treadmill

also maybe have sword art online as a mod for star citizen as there heavily modding the engine and adding alot of systems needed for mmmos.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com is a good place to start getting attention... will likely make a post in a week or so there
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.02.2013, 16:56Posts: 25 Likes: 3

PostPosted 21.05.2013, 15:18 
http://www.mcshaffry.com/mrmike/index.php/services

Maybe he can help you. You project Idea is really good,
though also troublesome to realize

PostPosted 22.05.2013, 01:14 
Quote by -GFE-Jack_Oneill:
1.http://www.scentsciences.com/products/scent_scape.html for smell of flowers,grass food ect in game
2.http://www.emotiv.com/store/hardware/epoc-bci/epoc-neuroheadset/ for running jumping ect and using ki powers ect
3.leap motion for fingers,wrists ,hands position and even prop detection like a hilt of a sword https://www.leapmotion.com/product

4.http://www.virtuix.com/%20a%20omnidirectional%20treadmill

also maybe have sword art online as a mod for star citizen as there heavily modding the engine and adding alot of systems needed for mmmos.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com is a good place to start getting attention... will likely make a post in a week or so there

I like your enthusiasm to my project idea ^^
Most of the devices you posted would work well with the game especially the NeuroHeadset.
Although the scent scape wouldn't really be needed because after prolonged use of the Rift, your brain would adapt and try to 'create' the scents for the environment and tastes for the items you can smell, eat and see. The leap is also another good idea but, as I many people around the world found out today, the Xbox One's Kinect 2 is capable of detecting depth and rotation of joints as well as whether they are visible or not. It is also capable of being used in the dark and reading and measuring a persons heartbeat; this could possibly be used in conjunction with the Timed Break System, it could also be used to alert emergency services if something goes wrong?
Also you can post on that website there, but I would appreciate it if you would link to this topic here or on the Oculus Rift forums and give some credit to me for the ideas :P

Quote by Abalast:
http://www.mcshaffry.com/mrmike/index.php/services

Maybe he can help you. You project Idea is really good,
though also troublesome to realize

Thanks for that link. ^^
The project will be quite an undertaking and would require a dedicated team, but it is still possible, I can't contact him at the minute as I am a little busy and I'm not a game designer/coder/artist etc I can write a story and scripts for the game, but if you would like you can contact him. If you do contact him please link him to this topic here or on the Oculus Rift forums and give some credit to me where it is due ^^

PostPosted 22.05.2013, 16:50 
Well, I understand your point, but first, I want create my first
project Games of death.

PostPosted 22.05.2013, 21:42 
Quote by Abalast:
Well, I understand your point, but first, I want create my first
project Games of death.

No worries, I'm glad people are taking an interest to my concept. I also took a look at your project it looks and sounds really quite good, if you require any help I am here ^^
Also sorry if my post before sounded a bit harsh, I was meant to type "I'm a little busy with college at the minute".
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11735Location: Nottingham, UK Likes: 75

PostPosted 22.05.2013, 22:01 
Ignoring the fact that I'd rather not exhaust myself whilst ostensibly trying to relax with video games, ideas are cheap. If you have an interest in building games, why not start by recreating Pong or something?

Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Server programmer for Warface, Warface 360, and more
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 28.10.2012, 18:01Posts: 45Location: Santa Rosa, CA Likes: 6

PostPosted 23.05.2013, 00:17 
You're gonna want to start with something way smaller and way less complex than an MMO if you want to have any hope of making progress in the VR games field before 2050.

Stop using chromatic aberration to 'enhance' your work. It actually makes it look worse.

PostPosted 23.05.2013, 17:39 
Quote by Zokk:
You're gonna want to start with something way smaller and way less complex than an MMO if you want to have any hope of making progress in the VR games field before 2050.

As I have said I am not going to be making any games, as a matter of fact I'm going to be doing something completely different, I only provided this topic to share some of my ideas and concepts on how it would work and to be used by anybody else who wished to attempt at making a game like this or who could use the ideas here for their game.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 26.05.2013, 09:52Posts: 1 Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.05.2013, 09:57 
Yes! this has to be made just like the anime i loved the anime ,it would be an awesome experience. :cheesy: :)) :p

PostPosted 01.06.2013, 22:30 
Thank you, that you want to help me. :D I send you
a message

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 05:55Posts: 528Location: Utah, USA Likes: 29

PostPosted 02.06.2013, 02:55 
Nice job on getting the Kinect to work with Ocullus rift - You may want to look into the leap motion as others have mentioned or just use a game pad with a touch pad (OUYA Controller).

I would personally start out with a basic single player demo / prototype of the game.

Single Player demo with medium to low poly visuals.

Here let me give you an idea of what I mean.

Tumblr Low Poly

Low poly models are typically less than 600 Polys (If I recall correctly)
You will need allot of that to make a MMO. Let alone a basic game.