General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 15:40Posts: 99Location: Egypt Likes: 0

Post Topic: UnrealEngine 3, CryENGINE 3 which one ............ ?
PostPosted 01.03.2012, 15:17 
... :)) I'm happy like all users of CryENGINE 3, with new update v3.3.9 which contains some new important features, we are small team contains programmer (me), 3d artist and game designer, our dream is start develop 3d games, we need to decide which engine start with Unreal Engine or CryENGINE ..! I think its diffecult decision because two engines are strongs..but we know that we will pay $99 for Unreal Engine, but for CryENGINE " ?( " we don't know exact ..

Can someone help us to know How much does CryENGINE 3 cost in our case ?

The answer sure will give us the decision

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 15:40Posts: 99Location: Egypt Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: UnrealEngine 3, CryENGINE 3 which one ............ ?
PostPosted 01.03.2012, 16:40 
No little answer !!! Seems to be Unreal Engine :mad: ...

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 06.09.2008, 02:53Posts: 237Location: Kansas, U.S. Likes: 17

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 17:04 
don't know much about UDK but I do know as you probably do that the sdk is free to develop on. I haven't seen any official documentation about how games you plan to sell go but I've heard from a few people that if you plan to sell your game there's some options where you pay royalties on your sales. This is old info though, pre-CE:3 release so don't quote me. I'm actually curious about this so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can enlighten us :)

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 17:16 
I heard that I can sell my game then I give 20% from my income to CryTek, is this information correct ?

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1641 Likes: 197

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 17:35 
UDK:

- Tons of up-to-date official docs
- Tons of tuts about everything (incl. scripting, game development and etc)
- Additional software (SpeedTree, Scaleform and etc.)
- Monthly updates
- Tons of features
- Info about licensing
- Game examples
- DX11 support
- Huge Community
- Support from community, Epic Games, industry artists and pros.
- Almost non-real time lighting (but advanced)
- iOS support

CryEngine 3 SDK:

- A lot of tuts (most of them about level/assets creation and exporting from 3rd party app.)
- Some docs
- Updates from time to time
- For non-commercial use
- Scaleform
- Not to so many features (as in UDK)
- Very third-party app. dependant
- No game examples
- No DX11 support
- Big community
- Lack of support and info
- Real time lighting system
- WYSIWYG
- Internet connection required

PS. IMHO: UDK for games, CE3 SDK for fun, because we know nothing about SDK future, but games created using UDK is already available.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 26.08.2011, 08:39Posts: 644Location: Internet Likes: 4

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 18:09 
Quote by Plastix:
PS. IMHO: UDK for games, CE3 SDK for fun, because we know nothing about SDK future, but games created using UDK is already available.

There will be a indie license for CE3 SDK. Considering I have already talked to the license department about it.

A signature used to exist here.

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 18:22 
Quote by Sieabah:
Quote by Plastix:

There will be a indie license for CE3 SDK. Considering I have already talked to the license department about it.

Great.., Maybe indie license in the next update ?

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1641 Likes: 197

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 18:43 
Quote by Sieabah:

When? In the next few years? Maybe that indie license will be not as good as UDK licence. This is what i`m talkig about - Lack of support and info. SDK is only for fun, until that license will be available with all necessary info about it.
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9884Location: Finland Likes: 189

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 20:19 
All the info we have is from the original free SDK launch announcement:
Quote by Carl Jones:
“For those who want to make the step into commercial gaming, we’ll offer a royalty-only license model for games made with this SDK, where Crytek require only 20% of the developer’s revenues from the commercial launch of their game.”

No further info is available of a global indie licensing system, however if you want to look into releasing your game commercially you need to contact engine licensing through mycryengine.com.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2011, 05:21Posts: 798Location: Calgary / Alberta / Canada Likes: 14

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 22:24 
Quote by Sieabah:
Quote by Plastix:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can confirm this.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 00:04Posts: 15 Likes: 0

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 22:27 
I would say CryEngine 3 :easter:

It seems to be getting better and better with each upgraded version.

The recent ver 3.3.9 forest map looks just real 8o
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 19.08.2011, 10:04Posts: 178Location: Prague, Czech Rep. Likes: 1

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 23:24 
Quote by woodygoody:
No little answer !!! Seems to be Unreal Engine :mad: ...

patience young padavan you need to get :)
btw as profesional i can just say this: UDK is good start for gaining knowledge independent on system, platform, engine... anyway you will end in position as casual modder, if you got luck as level designer with knowledge of basic mechanics
CryEngine after mastering, can open door to proffesional game developing, considering that cryengine have potential to expand more faster than UE and more and more studios should use it

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 23:25 
Quote by WingZero30:
The recent ver 3.3.9 forest map looks just real 8o

You should check a lot of forest/jungle maps for CryEngine 2. Those maps look way much more real than Forest map for CryEngine 3 ;)
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 03.03.2012, 05:07 
Quote by Plastix:
UDK:

- Tons of up-to-date official docs
- Tons of tuts about everything (incl. scripting, game development and etc)
- Additional software (SpeedTree, Scaleform and etc.)
- Monthly updates
- Tons of features
- Info about licensing
- Game examples
- DX11 support
- Huge Community
- Support from community, Epic Games, industry artists and pros.
- Almost non-real time lighting (but advanced)
- iOS support

CryEngine 3 SDK:

- A lot of tuts (most of them about level/assets creation and exporting from 3rd party app.)
- Some docs
- Updates from time to time
- For non-commercial use
- Scaleform
- Not to so many features (as in UDK)
- No game examples
- No DX11 support
- Big community
- Lack of support and info
- Real time lighting system
- WYSIWYG
- Internet connection required

Good job!
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 19.04.2009, 01:21Posts: 799Location: GermanyStatus: Online Likes: 116

PostPosted 03.03.2012, 16:05 
Quote by Plastix:

So you don´t need 3dsmax/photoshop in UDK to create your assets o.0 Thats something new to me.

Also you forgot to add that ce3 has actualy very deep coding access since it provides the source of a complete game.dll (which includes a lot of samples how things are done) from which you can access many engine functions via c++.