General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 24.05.2012, 03:40Posts: 15 Likes: 1

Post Topic: Some questions about Cryengine.
PostPosted 25.05.2012, 00:39 
Greetings

I would like to know what programming languages i would need to learn to use cryengine? I'm new to game development, but i know some c++.

I just bought a c++ book to refresh my memory of the language, but i would like to know is there any other books i should get? So will i do fine with c++, or do i need to learn something else too?

Also, one more question. In my game i need the ability to edit terrain ingame, so that player can dig a small hole in the ground, would this be possible with cryengine or possible to program?

Thank you.

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 09:58Posts: 249Location: UK Likes: 3

Post Topic: Re: Some questions about Cryengine.
PostPosted 25.05.2012, 01:49 
Contact Richmar as he knows a lot about C++. You can also learn Lua.
http://www.youtube.com/user/1Richmar

And yes. You can dig small hole in the ground. You can lower down the terrain and make model using procedural destruction. Again Richmar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz41t_pGQcY&feature=plcp

What we would do with out him. :)
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.08.2011, 15:08Posts: 523Location: Canada Likes: 2

PostPosted 25.05.2012, 02:04 
Quote by luke78:
What we would do with out him. :)

Learn the engine ourselves. (JK)

Quote:
[1:49:53 PM] fedayk1ntr: Join the Dark side
[1:50:04 PM} themodman101: You may have cookies, but we have all the milk.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 28.01.2009, 20:54Posts: 2050Location: Under Ruan's bed. Likes: 1

PostPosted 25.05.2012, 21:44 
C++, Lua, and XML code are used in CryENGINE3 already.

C# is being worked on by Ink Studios, and is a lot more suitable than Lua. Its still being worked on, but the performance increase with it being used speaks for itself. :))

CryDev's professional troll.