General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 25.05.2012, 10:01Posts: 3 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Terms of Service Question
PostPosted 25.05.2012, 10:09 
Hi guys. Total newbie here, just signed up to play around with CT3. I was just scanning through the ToS that you have to agree to (ironically, I had to agree to it to ask here...) and I had a few concerns about the intellectual property clauses, specifically:

Quote:
6. Contributing Your Own Content to Crytek Services; License Grant to Crytek and Others
In exchange for Crytek enabling your contribution of Content, when you contribute Content to an Crytek Service, you expressly grant to Crytek a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, complete and irrevocable right to quote, re-post, use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, syndicate, license, print, sublicense, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the Content, or any portion thereof, in any manner or form and in any medium or forum, whether now known or hereafter devised, without notice, payment or attribution of any kind to you or any third party. You grant Crytek all licenses, consents and clearances to enable Crytek to use such Content for such purposes. You waive, and agree not to assert any moral or similar rights you may have in such Content.

In short: Does the developer own the intellectual property rights to a game made with CryEngine 3?

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 10.11.2011, 03:08Posts: 86 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Terms of Service Question
PostPosted 25.05.2012, 19:01 
Not really a direct answer to your question, I'm sure one of the Cry* members will provide you with a better answer. Basically I don't think they've actually made the indie licences available yet, from what I've read the options are probably going to be:

a) a free licence where you can distribute your game but not for a money
b) bit like the UDK one I think, a certain percentage of the profits (might be total income not sure) (i think 20% was being mentioned) go to Crytek. Not sure if like the UDK you can earn a certain amount before you start paying the 20%.
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9830Location: Finland Likes: 168

PostPosted 25.05.2012, 19:43 
I'd think the intellectual property and copyrights remain with the author. Those terms just grant Crytek a license to use the content uploaded to the forums; they've shown user-created screenshots and videos on their Facebook page and Mycryengine showcase gallery for example.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 07.11.2007, 18:21Posts: 1294 Likes: 74

PostPosted 26.05.2012, 09:34 
The intent of that section is to prevent you from uploading files to a Crytek server and subsequently sue them for distributing it without a license. Think of someone making a game and Crytek wanting to use it as an example of things people have made with the game either through web promotion or even a GDC video.

PostPosted 26.05.2012, 10:03 
Quote by Zeph:
The intent of that section is to prevent you from uploading files to a Crytek server and subsequently sue them for distributing it without a license. Think of someone making a game and Crytek wanting to use it as an example of things people have made with the game either through web promotion or even a GDC video.

So Crytek has the right to use a game however they want without permission from the author?
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 17.07.2011, 04:14Posts: 585Location: The TyTilian Core Likes: 2

PostPosted 26.05.2012, 10:27 
Quote by cowtrix:
Quote by Zeph:

So Crytek has the right to use a game however they want without permission from the author?

I think it is more media related; like they would be able to use pictures and videos of your game but not your actual game itself. Though I could always be wrong, better to wait for one of the Crytek guys to answer.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 07.11.2007, 18:21Posts: 1294 Likes: 74

PostPosted 26.05.2012, 11:00 
Quote by cowtrix:
Quote by Zeph:

They can use and derive things from it. But only if you upload it to their servers for distribution. Look at the definition for Crytek Services.

PostPosted 26.05.2012, 11:57 
Quote by Zeph:
Quote by cowtrix:
Quote by Zeph:

They can use and derive things from it. But only if you upload it to their servers for distribution. Look at the definition for Crytek Services.

Ah okay, thanks Zeph. Although if a mod had any comment, it would be good. Just can't be too careful with IP stuff.

PostPosted 26.05.2012, 14:29 
Quote by cowtrix:
Ah okay, thanks Zeph. Although if a mod had any comment, it would be good. Just can't be too careful with IP stuff.

Well, generally if you're going to be developing a new IP you'll want to handle distribution (with your own ToS) yourself.
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11293Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 635

PostPosted 26.05.2012, 15:14 
You sure? why wouldn't you wan't to use Steam instead and reach much, much more players? Also with IP's you also need to have a trademark on it (with each country having it's own system). I think EU has a global system but it costs alot of money. It wouldn't be your IP if you havn't trademarked it first.

PostPosted 26.05.2012, 16:44 
Well, by handle I mean not blindly uploading to third parties with no explicit agreement as to what happens.