General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 19.08.2011, 02:56Posts: 48Location: New York City Likes: 5

Post Topic: CE3 or UDK for interactive short film?
PostPosted 26.06.2012, 09:15 
I'm a 3D animation student in college and I want to do something a little different from the rest of my classmates in terms of how, in a few years, I'll present my thesis project.

The basic idea is that I'll do all of the animation and modeling in Maya and Zbrush, but instead of using V-ray and getting a linear story, I'll have branching paths where the viewer has different options on what they want the character to do in a certain situation (similar to a QTE in terms of how it works, where it would pause the film and wait for an input).

Anyway, I already know the basic functions of both the CE2 (I assume the CE3 is mostly the same) and the UDK, but I really should pick one and work with it on my own for a while to learn how to use it better (at the time of writing this, I have 1 year to dedicate to learning the engine before I need to start building the assets for it).

I know I'll probably get some biased opinions here, but between the CE3 and UDK, which would be a better choice to go with in this scenario and why?

Oh, and computer speed is not an issue. I have 3 computers available to develop on:

Desktop-
Core i7 (first gen) @3.7GHz
GTX 480
6GB RAM

Laptop-
Core i7-2200QM
GTX 485M
8GB RAM

College desktop-
Dual Core i7 (second gen) @3.0GHz
Quadro 4000 (getting upgrades this summer, don't know what the new one is yet)
32GB RAM

College render farm-
100 of the above desktop in a room, with the sysadmins willing to install the UDK's Swarm to speed up lighting calculations for me if I decide to use that engine

I'll probably be working on either my laptop or the college desktop in most cases.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.01.2011, 23:00Posts: 1329 Likes: 51

Post Topic: Re: CE3 or UDK for interactive short film?
PostPosted 26.06.2012, 09:36 
I personally don't know the UDK really good so I can't really say which is better. I just know that it's possible with the CryEngine and it's also not that hard if you have basic flowgraph-knowledge. It also depends on what scenery you want to use

"The cake is NOT a lie!"

NO support via pm!
You look funny with your head so close by the screen ^^
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 23:50Posts: 1731 Likes: 8

PostPosted 26.06.2012, 16:03 
The CryEngine needs no lightmap building since everything is "real time - all the time". So you won't need your server farm if you want everything to render at a decent speed. If you really want to render a video of it, you can make the engine run at 1-2 FPS, so you may need a render farm to render it fast.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 19.08.2011, 02:56Posts: 48Location: New York City Likes: 5

PostPosted 28.06.2012, 00:34 
Quote by General Kaboom:
I personally don't know the UDK really good so I can't really say which is better. I just know that it's possible with the CryEngine and it's also not that hard if you have basic flowgraph-knowledge. It also depends on what scenery you want to use

Is there a good tutorial to get that basic flowgraph knowledge? I've never even had to open it yet, let alone actually make something in it.