General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 25.01.2010, 15:54Posts: 2053Location: Moscow, Russia Likes: 57

Post Topic: CryEngine 3 : why eye?
PostPosted 27.06.2012, 17:18 
CryEngine 3 : why eye?

Does anybody here have any idea about the fact why eye symbol has been chosen to denote Cryengine 3?

The answer "why not eye?" is not accepted!

Loving God gives you Happiness, Knowledge, Strength and Freedom.
AURAYAMA on Crydev & AURAYAMA in Russia :)
Portfolio: AndreyFilantrop on deviantART
Life by FlowGraph!

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1618 Likes: 191

Post Topic: Re: CryEngine 3 : why eye?
PostPosted 27.06.2012, 17:25 
That eye is Nazar (amulet.)

A nazar (Turkish: nazar boncuğu) is an eye-shaped amulet believed to protect against the evil eye ("evil eye", from nazar and "amulet" from boncuğu). The word "nazar" is derived from the Arabic نظر, "sight" or "seeing". In Central Asia, during the ages of Tengrism, people held similar superstitions like horseshoes, garlic, wolf's tooth, dried thorn, lead, stones; but the crystal blue eye has always been the most popular one.

It is common in Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Armenia, Iran, Afghanistan, Greece, Cyprus and Azerbaijan, where the nazar is often hung in homes, offices, cars, children's clothing, or incorporated in jewellery.

A typical nazar is made of handmade glass featuring concentric circles or teardrop shapes in dark blue, white, light blue and black, occasionally with a yellow/gold edge

The nazar image was used as a symbol on the tailfins of aeroplanes belonging to the private Turkish airline Fly Air. It is used in the logo for CryEngine 3, a game engine designed by Crytek, a video game company founded by three Turkish brothers.
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 27.06.2012, 17:37 
Well the obvious reason is the same as nvidia. Cryengine's primary feature is graphics. Crytek and nvidia both make eye candy. So their logos reflect this. Have to say I like nvidias eye logo better. But the nazar looks pretty cool too.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 25.01.2010, 15:54Posts: 2053Location: Moscow, Russia Likes: 57

PostPosted 27.06.2012, 18:21 
Good answers, thank you guys.
BmB, i thought about that too, but as for me, i dont like CE3 symbol too.
Plastix. Soo...That means defence from evil. So, i may guess, that CryEngine 3 is a Heaven deed. Never thought about it this way, lol. :)

Loving God gives you Happiness, Knowledge, Strength and Freedom.
AURAYAMA on Crydev & AURAYAMA in Russia :)
Portfolio: AndreyFilantrop on deviantART
Life by FlowGraph!