General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 17.07.2011, 04:14Posts: 585Location: The TyTilian Core Likes: 2

Post Topic: Re: CryEngine 3.4.1 coming "real soon!"
PostPosted 12.08.2012, 08:30 
Quote by BLOODTIDE12:
Quote by zirakuta:
Quote by BLOODTIDE12:
With the team and I learning a great deal from Richmar1 and others in the community we have a great respect for those who have stepped up to fill the void of information out their on this great engine I am considering stepping up and I'm sure a lot of my team will be interested in doing so as well to create a visual training environment through which in game examples and videos will be made to showcase what's possible with the engine and how to produce those results I'm thinking the best way to do this would be to setup a tech demo which will have walls/signs with instructions printed on them next to each asset showing the steps on how to create things like cloth, lights, cameras, vehicles, weapons etc through a visual manner now this content would be free to the public using both CryENGINE 3 SDK assets and custom assets donated/contributed by the community I hope by doing this we will pass on our knowledge to the next generation of inspiring developers and continue to keep this community strong.

If anyone is interested in making this a reality request to join the new team I have just setup called Free Community Project and together we can make this happen

Have a +1, sir. :meow: I must agree with all you said, including the fact that Rich has done an amazing job with his tuts, I have learnt so much from him. I think your idea is great and you should certainly follow through with it! :)

Thanks for the vote of approval I apologize for the late reply the team and I have been swamped with work over the last few days (gotta squash those bugs...) I have created a thread if anyone is interested let it be heard at http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=291&t=96067 also a minor update we are currently working on a few testing ground type maps for AI, weapons and possibly a physic based map at a later date.

We also have a few debug weapons we might include like our mighty Minecraft style box pistol =P which the animators cooked up while awaiting weapon models to be finalized (don't expect to see any high poly weapons in the public domain soon those are staying exclusive to our project Infectious Life but we might be generous enough to include 1 game ready weapon say a pistol to be packaged with the free community maps royaltiy free for you guys to pull apart and tinker with)

Again thank you all for your support through the forums and direct PMs

Sounds good man; looking forward to seeing the things you have done. :D

Trainee TraineeMember since: 05.11.2011, 14:22Posts: 174Location: Bendigo, Australia Likes: 6

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 10:09 
Awesome!

Good to hear the terrain issue is being solved.

Bad to see that the CryBabies are still here.

Favorite post in this thread was seeing please_REboot get his holiday. Can he have another? I'll pay for the flights.

If some of the "developers" that post here spent more time working on their projects then they did asking for the latest features, then maybe they would get something done, and possibly discover that they have an awful lot to play with already.

Hats off to the staff here, cause i don't know if i could be half as patient as you guys!

I decided to just go ahead and develop my project as a mod for Crysis. I'll wait for the Crysis3 SDK and if its worth the effort, ill port it over, but im pretty happy with CE2 for now.

Just out of curiosity, did the terrain smoothing issue affect the Crysis2 SDK, or just the CE3 Free SDK?

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 06.09.2011, 14:10Posts: 279Location: England Likes: 0

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 12:20 
Can't understand some of the comments about the new crysis 3 trailer, and that there's not much new in there. Are you nuts lol, Area lights with soft shadowing and near correct specular reflection (Awesome), Non tesselation based Per pixel displacment (Awesome) even on low poly objects (no other company has done this), Volume shadowing + Volume fog, (Awesome), Just to name a few things. Would of loved this stuff to turn up in free sdk but fully understand that it wont be included until after Crysis 3 release.
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11478Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 666

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 12:25 
The new tech is as sweet as it can be. But it will make the next 6 months a living hell with all the waiting for February :/ But i shall manage. Hope the tech will be available in the FreeSDK next summer, around this date or July.

Trainee TraineeMember since: 05.11.2011, 14:22Posts: 174Location: Bendigo, Australia Likes: 6

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 13:01 
July :-) Some people probably lost their minds hearing that!

As my project is developed as a Crysis1 mod, and you can't use Crysis1 assets in the Free SDK but you can in the Crysis2 SDK, will i be able to use Crysis1 assets in the Crysis3 SDK as well?

Providing this terrain issue has been fixed in Crysis3, i might be willing to port my project over to the Crysis3 SDK if its worth it, but im really depending on the terrain fix above all else.

User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11478Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 666

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 13:33 
Quote:

Probably, but since this would be for licensees / FreeSDK users they have no choice but to take their time and make it perfect. Will probably see optimizations after a while aswell.

Quote:
As my project is developed as a Crysis1 mod, and you can't use Crysis1 assets in the Free SDK but you can in the Crysis2 SDK, will i be able to use Crysis1 assets in the Crysis3 SDK as well?

Most likely, but i'd wait for an official response from Crytek.

Quote:
Providing this terrain issue has been fixed in Crysis3, i might be willing to port my project over to the Crysis3 SDK if its worth it, but im really depending on the terrain fix above all else.

You mean the terrain precision fix for the FreeSDK? Got no clue about the Crysis 3 engine, different engine branch.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1534 Likes: 54

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 14:04 
Quote by KingBadger:
Can't understand some of the comments about the new crysis 3 trailer, and that there's not much new in there. Are you nuts lol, Area lights with soft shadowing and near correct specular reflection (Awesome), Non tesselation based Per pixel displacment (Awesome) even on low poly objects (no other company has done this), Volume shadowing + Volume fog, (Awesome), Just to name a few things. Would of loved this stuff to turn up in free sdk but fully understand that it wont be included until after Crysis 3 release.

Yes. We 21 century rendering engine, and 19 century tools to utilize it ;p. That's the point.

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 19:41 
Quote by iniside:
Yes. We 21 century rendering engine, and 19 century tools to utilize it ;p. That's the point.

Yeah.. so true.. The tools are horrible, just horrible. Imagine how much better Crysis 1 2 and 3 could have been had they had decent tools.. :rolleyes:

Quote by Lavizh:
Quote:

Probably, but since this would be for licensees / FreeSDK users they have no choice but to take their time and make it perfect. Will probably see optimizations after a while aswell.

Quote:

Most likely, but i'd wait for an official response from Crytek.

Quote:

You mean the terrain precision fix for the FreeSDK? Got no clue about the Crysis 3 engine, different engine branch.

No worries. Sorry, going a bit off topic here, but does the terrain precision issue affect Crysis2? I cant remember reading it anywhere.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1534 Likes: 54

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 21:34 
Quote by newoldmate:
Quote by iniside:

Yeah.. so true.. The tools are horrible, just horrible. Imagine how much better Crysis 1 2 and 3 could have been had they had decent tools.. :rolleyes:

You still missing my point. They are not horrible. They are abandoned. There where hardly any updates since.. CryEngine2.
And there are lot of things that cloud be improved. Examples? Sure:
1. In Editor Vertex painting tool.
2. Rollup bar should be just splited into movable and dockable windows. Especialiry object properties should be in it's own window and not attached to Brushes pane.
3. Particles editor cloud use some updates. (Working force attraction like orbit), Spawners that spawn from sphere, cylinder, rectangle or plane.
4. UI cloud be more stream lined (why the heck ToD editor is in Terrain menu ?). Why lighting is splited into serval completly diffrent places ? It all should be in single Menu called Lighting/Postprocess.
5. UI is slow. It's slow because it's written in MFC. And I can only imagine how much pain is to change anything in this bloated monster.
6. Database view. That's my favorite. It duplicate some of Rollup bar functionality. Poses some editors (why would be here particle editor I don't know).
Again. I would do two things:
1. Remove all editors from DBView and put them in their own menu.
2. Make Database actual database. With single view, that contains all assets. With filters to look for them (particles, sounds, meshes, textures, materials).
I trurly hope Crytek have team devoted to rewritting SandBox from scratch into faster, more stream lined tool, that is easier to exnted and add new features to it.
7. Materials. Besides that node editor would be extremly useful, I have my doubts about how materials are assinged to meshes. Each meshes essentialy have to use separate set of multi-material. Would be much better if we cloud just assign material inside sandbox to particular material slot in mesh. That would reduce amount of material we need to use, by great degree.

You know there are many of little (in end user perspective at least), improvements that cloud made to make work faster and easier.
It's not only about pushing new graphic tech.

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 20.03.2012, 09:29Posts: 306Location: Sultan, Washington State Likes: 12

PostPosted 12.08.2012, 21:57 
Quote by iniside:
Quote by newoldmate:
Quote by iniside:

You still missing my point. They are not horrible. They are abandoned. There where hardly any updates since.. CryEngine2.
And there are lot of things that cloud be improved. Examples? Sure:
1. In Editor Vertex painting tool.
2. Rollup bar should be just splited into movable and dockable windows. Especialiry object properties should be in it's own window and not attached to Brushes pane.
3. Particles editor cloud use some updates. (Working force attraction like orbit), Spawners that spawn from sphere, cylinder, rectangle or plane.
4. UI cloud be more stream lined (why the heck ToD editor is in Terrain menu ?). Why lighting is splited into serval completly diffrent places ? It all should be in single Menu called Lighting/Postprocess.
5. UI is slow. It's slow because it's written in MFC. And I can only imagine how much pain is to change anything in this bloated monster.
6. Database view. That's my favorite. It duplicate some of Rollup bar functionality. Poses some editors (why would be here particle editor I don't know).
Again. I would do two things:
1. Remove all editors from DBView and put them in their own menu.
2. Make Database actual database. With single view, that contains all assets. With filters to look for them (particles, sounds, meshes, textures, materials).
I trurly hope Crytek have team devoted to rewritting SandBox from scratch into faster, more stream lined tool, that is easier to exnted and add new features to it.
7. Materials. Besides that node editor would be extremly useful, I have my doubts about how materials are assinged to meshes. Each meshes essentialy have to use separate set of multi-material. Would be much better if we cloud just assign material inside sandbox to particular material slot in mesh. That would reduce amount of material we need to use, by great degree.

You know there are many of little (in end user perspective at least), improvements that cloud made to make work faster and easier.
It's not only about pushing new graphic tech.

Well there is the asset browser but it's hidden in the tools panel or something, I never really need to use it. A node based editor would be great, if it was an option, this works awesome too.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 20.01.2012, 21:45Posts: 538Location: Brazil Likes: 60

PostPosted 14.08.2012, 02:37 
the name CryENGINE 3 Plus is a rumor or is this it?

CRYENGINE BR (FB) Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryenginebr/
Procedural Art channel ( CRYENGINE Tutorials PT-BR): https://www.youtube.com/user/aulasproceduralart
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 07.11.2007, 18:21Posts: 1295 Likes: 74

PostPosted 14.08.2012, 05:34 
Quote by JuninhoEcko:
the name CryENGINE 3 Plus is a rumor or is this it?

It's not even a rumor.
User avatar   Captain CryDev Captain CryDevMember since: 02.08.2005, 19:01Posts: 2226Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 44

PostPosted 14.08.2012, 16:56 
Not sure who said that the first time, but "CryENGINE 3 Plus" was used to clarify that even if it's still CryENGINE 3, which is also used for Crysis 2, it is an updated version (Crysis 2 version plus extras, for example: TSTT - Top Secret Toad Tesselation...) for Crysis 3 and not exactly the same with just changed game code.

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.02.2012, 20:54Posts: 417 Likes: 10

PostPosted 14.08.2012, 20:02 
Quote by Cry-JR:
Not sure who said that the first time

Not sure either, but it apparently was mentioned there for example (around 04:35 min mark):

http://www.gamespot.com/crysis-3/videos/crysis-3-e3-2012-stage-demo-6380949/

and also there for example (around 05:00 min mark):

http://www.livestream.com/electronicarts/video?clipId=pla_76647219-adcb-4c64-a702-e87d9611a999

;)
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.04.2012, 04:28Posts: 446Location: uk Likes: 1

PostPosted 14.08.2012, 22:31 
hi all! im reading all over the place that 3.4.1 is being released this week! is this true? thanks