General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 26.01.2012, 18:06Posts: 28Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Likes: 0

Post Topic: SSAO vs. SSDO
PostPosted 23.09.2012, 07:19 
Hey guys, I'm curious about how SSAO and SSDO works, there's quite a lot of information here viewtopic.php?f=355&t=69239 (is really a lot btw, 'cus I haven't really read the whole thread :meow: ) and seems like SSDO is gonna be the replacement of the SSAO? since it's taken care of the shading and edges more nicer (SSAO got a bit of artifact on d edge where it makes the background slightly brighten then the foreground object).

So I've set my scene as r_SSAO=0 and r_SSDO=2, overall result quite nice, but my concrete wall seems like become more glossy for some reason ?(

Here is the screen;
first - r_SSAO=0 r_SSDO=2
second - r_SSAO=3 r_SSDO=0 (default setting)

But at the same time it does makes it looks better when got a few object overlap each other. Since CE3 didn't support any baked AO map, the SSAO by itself makes the object looks floating in front of the wall, like the air-cond unit on the following example.

Again here is the screen;
second - r_SSAO=3 r_SSDO=0 (default setting)

On the official documentation I can't fine any SSDO information, so I have no idea what is 0, 1, 2, 3, etc for SSDO value. Does anyone know what is going on here?

*right-click > view image open in new tab for better comparison between the images.

User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11957Location: Hamar, NorwayStatus: Online Likes: 739

Post Topic: Re: SSAO vs. SSDO
PostPosted 23.09.2012, 08:12 
Go to the filter search in the console and hover over each cvar to get a description.

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 26.01.2012, 18:06Posts: 28Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Likes: 0

PostPosted 23.09.2012, 09:12 
Wait a minute, I never know we can do such thing! yeah thanks Lavizh :D
About my other question, I wish to hear any opinion about the concrete wall looks glossy when using the SSDO, is it a normal behavior or how?

*I'm guessing its because of the directional occlusion, when it's facing certain amount of angle from d player view it received a certain amount of darkening effects, but I might be wrong on that.
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11957Location: Hamar, NorwayStatus: Online Likes: 739

PostPosted 23.09.2012, 09:14 
There is a slight shine/gloss effect in the texture. Tried adjusting SSAO/SSDO settings?

PostPosted 23.09.2012, 11:06 
Yeah that's what I'm referring to as my concrete wall looks a bit glossy when using SSDO on the scene, but I didn't notice that effects on the wooden panel/ planks or on the air-cond units. I can't figure it out what causing it. I believe it's not on the texture issue since it only appear as 'glossy' when I'm activating SSDO and didn't appear on the SSAO.

Like what Lavizh suggested, I play around with SSAO/ SSDO setting and found out that SSDO is really messing around with my texture ?(
On the wall I'm using blend layer for the painted and unpainted/bare wall texture and blend it using a blend mask. The unpainted wall become more bright on the SSDO screenshot compared to the SSAO screenshot :yuck:

second - r_SSAO=4 r_SSAOContrast=2 r_SSDO=0

I bump up the contrast for SSAO on the second image and it does looks better from what SSDO previously can do *even thought the brightening effects on the background of the overlapping objects become exist, note the edge between the lower air-cond unit with the wall behind it.

Just wondering when is it a good time to use SSAO or SSDO?