Inside and Outside the Box

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10650Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 658

Post Topic: Think Inside & Outside The Box
PostPosted 05.09.2011, 13:23 
Hello CryENGINEERS!

Early on last month, forum member atsest went ahead and started a community challenge for solids that we thought looked like a lot of fun. We'd like to expand on this and put up even more of a challenge to further put your skills to the test! Cooked up from the mind of our News Lead, Liam, this new competition will involve solids but with more restrictions to make it more challenging. The restrictions you face will be creative space!

The Goal
Your goal is to create a room made out of solids with the following dimensions: 14m X 10m X 4m. You are allowed to place windows in the room. You are allowed to place whatever you want outside of the room for background scenery but it will only be viewable through the windows (i.e; screenshots outside of the room do not count). The ultimate goal is to make the room as interesting, creative, cool, fun/funny, realistic, etc, as you can. The staff team will review the entries and agree on a room that they think is the best, as well as two runner ups.

Here's a quick example that Liam put together:

The Reward
Your reward will be fame and admiration among your peers! Well, that and a whole bunch of awesome Roccat gear and some Crytek merchandise!

• 1st Place - Roccat Kulo Stereo Headset, Roccat Kone+ Mouse, Roccat Sota Mouse Pad, CryDev t-shirt and signed copy (by the Yerlis & the Tracys) of the CryENGINE Cookbook
  • 2nd Place - Roccat Kone+ Mouse, Roccat Sota Mouse Pad and a CryDev t-shirt
  • 3rd Place - Roccat Kova+ Mouse, Roccat Sota Mouse Pad and a CryDev t-shirt

The Details
To go over the rules in point form:
  • Room made out of 6 solids with the maximum dimensions: 14m (length), 10m (width), 4m (height).
  • Holes can be placed in the room (wall windows, roof skylights, etc).
  • Either the CryENGINE 3 Free SDK or Crysis 2 Mod SDK Sandbox may be used.
  • Level will need to be available for download by CryDev staff if requested.
  • 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will be judged by the CryDev staff team.
  • Competition starts today, Monday, 5th September.
  • Competition entries close Monday 12th September @ 4pm GMT.
  • Entries are to be posted in a new thread in the Competitions Forum.
  • Entries must provide a screenshot with the wall/roof solids selected to show dimensions (see example below)
solids_size1.jpg

Need Some Help?
Never used solids before? Looking for a crash course? In case you missed it, community member Duruk put together a really handy solids tutorial and you can read up on that here.

Get Going!
That about covers it! You have a little bit over 1 week to make the most awesome room you've ever made and there's some awesome prizes up for grabs so if you want to be in with a chance to win you'd best get started right away :D

This thread can be used for discussion on the competition but please note, entries posted in this thread will not be accepted so please create a new thread for your entry!

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 30.04.2011, 10:08Posts: 103Location: Romania, Constanta Likes: 1

Post Topic: Re: Think Inside & Outside The Box
PostPosted 05.09.2011, 14:44 
Great competition there guys.I love ya!(no gay)
Maybe tomorrow I will get my ass working on this after I get more into creating rooms of solids!

Also, first post :D!

Me, myself and the next door hopefully bright future!
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 23.12.2008, 13:46Posts: 377 Likes: 3

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 14:57 
Aw man awesome guys, this'll make me open up the sandbox again! Ps, I have the Roccat Kone+ Mouse, it's a beast guys! Do the objects in the room have to be made from solids? Also are you allowed a slanted roof as long as you are are still inside the dimensions?

How do I see the dimensions so I make sure it is the right size? Maybe you could upload the room with correct dimmensions for downloadon empty map?

Last edited by WaR_SPiRiT on 05.09.2011, 15:11, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 06.06.2010, 22:27Posts: 529Location: Turku, Finland Likes: 2

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:03 
So we're allowed to put all kinds of objects inside the room also? So that we use solids for just the walls? And does it have to be just 6 solids? Like if you make a window, you have to use more than 6 solids. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I don't do anything wrong. :)
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 23.12.2008, 13:46Posts: 377 Likes: 3

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:24 
Well I'm stuck already! No Idea how to make the walls the correct dimensions! Lol. I'm such a fail.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.12.2007, 12:38Posts: 1234Location: The Netherlands, Boxmeer Likes: 15

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:27 
Why 6 solids for that dimension ?

Can I use 1 single solid box (hollowed out) with the same dimension. (and create a tutorial on how to hollow out a box)

pros for 1 single solid:
- Faster to hollow out a single solid then create 6 solids.
- Less Tris for 1 single solid instead of 6 solids. Leaves more room for detail.
- No need to allign all the 6 solids.

Last edited by Duruk on 05.09.2011, 15:34, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 01.12.2009, 22:36Posts: 737Location: Egypt Likes: 1

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:28 
I think I've done the dimensions right, can I upload it or it's forbidden?

Edit: Duruk's idea seems very pro, better use that now :p

Last edited by XaldiN-76 on 05.09.2011, 17:07, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 18:08Posts: 469Location: Fuengirola - Spain Likes: 27

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:29 
Well 1unit is 1meter... there is a ruler to measure. I forgot how to put the meter guide line on.

Also what is the rule on if we scale the models down and do some kind of camera trick and make some huge room instead of just one lifesize room.

The room is still the corrent dimentions.... but the models are scaled down.

Lead Level Designer @ open Outcast

Last edited by Demogorgon25 on 05.09.2011, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.02.2010, 09:29Posts: 99Location: Germany Likes: 1

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:32 
Does scripted gameplay count or is the competition only about screenshots / how the room looks like?

Project Lead, Lead Programmer @ open Outcast

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:36 
Ok I went by the little squares and got the same as Xaldin! Now onto the real stuff! :D Except no idea how to display the little dimensions numbers. :P
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10650Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 658

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:38 
Quote by WaR_SPiRiT:
Do the objects in the room have to be made from solids?
Nope, just the room itself.

Quote:
Also are you allowed a slanted roof as long as you are are still inside the dimensions?
I think it's a lot more simple if we keep it set to 6 flat panels but i guess as long as it's within the dimensions, why not? :)

Quote:
How do I see the dimensions so I make sure it is the right size? Maybe you could upload the room with correct dimmensions for downloadon empty map?
With helpers enabled (shift+space), the dimensions show up on selected solids, as per the example image and this is a challenge, we can't do the work for you :evil:

Quote:
So we're allowed to put all kinds of objects inside the room also?
Yep, that's the challenge! To fill the room with awesome :)

Quote:
So that we use solids for just the walls? And does it have to be just 6 solids? Like if you make a window, you have to use more than 6 solids
Yeah, i might adjust the text to be a bit clearer. It means 6 panels total, 4 walls, a roof and a floor. You can use as many solids as you like, so long as the room stays within the specified dimensions :)

Quote:
Does scripted gameplay count or is the competition only about screenshots / how the room looks like?
Well it counts as content so sure, it counts.

Quote:
Can I use 1 single solid box (hollowed out) with the same dimension. (and create a tutorial on how to hollow out a box)
I didn't think this was possible but sure, if you want to do it that way, so long as the maximum dimensions are adhered to. The point/challenge is to limit the amount of available space :)

Quote:
Well I'm stuck already! No Idea how to make the walls the correct dimensions! Lol. I'm such a fail.
Haha! Well, lucky for me, i was fortunate enough to get a crash course on solids last week. Before you use the solid tool, enable snap-to-grid at 1m increments and it'll be easy to create the desired dimensions:
snaptogrid.jpg

User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5071 Likes: 219

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:46 
I want to make 1000 holes on wall, it's ok?

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.08.2011, 17:20Posts: 283 Likes: 13

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:49 
hmm looks interesting I hope I find the time to finish an entry. :)
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.02.2008, 13:12Posts: 1450Location: Estonia Likes: 2

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 15:50 
I guess I'm allowed to enter this one :P

So as long as the room size is correct we can populate the entire thing with custom geometry both on the inside and outside as well? In that case: can we replace the solids with custom geometry with the same dimensions?

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 16:00 
Quote:
So as long as the room size is correct we can populate the entire thing with custom geometry both on the inside and outside as well? In that case: can we replace the solids with custom geometry with the same dimensions?
We need to be able to see the dimensions of the room to be sure it's within the specified size and i'm not sure that's possible if you use custom geometry objects? And of course you're welcome to join! :D

Quote:
I want to make 1000 holes on wall, it's ok?
Sure, go nuts! :evil: