Latest Build Feedback

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 20.08.2011, 23:30Posts: 139Location: Denmark Likes: 22

Post Topic: Re: Vegetation
PostPosted 22.10.2014, 22:26 
I'm already aware of the cvar. If I change it, I'm able to make the grass align on the broken angles, but that just messes up the alignment where it was previously fine.

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 20.08.2011, 23:30Posts: 139Location: Denmark Likes: 22

PostPosted 28.10.2014, 09:46 
Quote by LoWang35:
Vegetation doesnt seem to be properly aligning to terrain when enabled.

Whats really wierd about it is that it seems to depend on the direction of the hill. For the purpose of showing the problem I created this mountain thing.

I painted the grass red in order to more easily show the problem.

When viewing the grass in this direction, the grass doesnt align all the way.

If I move 90 degrees around the hill, things are perfect. If I move even further, things will start getting bad again.

I did a test in Cryengine 2 with "align to terrain" enabled and "fit to terrain" disabled.

As can be seen, the grass aligns perfectly no matter the direction you'r looking.

And here's a screenshot showing the problem we're having in an actual ingame situation on a moderately steep hill.

Here's a video showing the issue at 9:40

http://youtu.be/f0yV1Nbx4uU?t=9m40s

I don't believe this angle/direction based variation in the amount of "align to terrain" is intentional. It's hurting the look of some parts of our maps quite a bit. I'm just puzzled that I havent seen anybody else reporting the issue. Would be cool if you could just sort of copy paste the "align to terrain" code from Cryengine 2 and paste into CRYENGINE :p

Am I really the only one who's having problems with this issue? Is the only solution just to create smaller patches and try to make it as little visible as possible?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 19.09.2009, 09:30Posts: 2675Location: Finland Likes: 182

PostPosted 29.10.2014, 20:40 
You should use single blade meshes and automerge now.

PostPosted 29.10.2014, 22:45 
Unfortunately that solution isnt practical on our map :\
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.05.2010, 11:46Posts: 1319Location: GermanyStatus: Online Likes: 162

PostPosted 29.10.2014, 23:26 
Quote by LoWang35:
Unfortunately that solution isnt practical on our map :\

why is that? Automerge works good for us as long as it doesnt crash and gives a huge performance boost.