Particle Effects & Materials

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 18.09.2011, 17:03Posts: 107Location: Northern Indiana, USA Likes: 5

Post Topic: Another snow question
PostPosted 13.03.2012, 02:43 
Hi,

I've been messing about with the particle system, and all is well, however when using snow, for instance, are there any way of making it not snow everywhere the camera (oneself) looks? If I go inside of a building - even one made of solids, snow is falling merrily. Any way around that?

Thanks for any help,

HL

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 10.04.2011, 23:37Posts: 302 Likes: 1

Post Topic: Re: Another snow question
PostPosted 14.03.2012, 02:38 
One solution, although not very elegant, is to apply physics to your particle system. That way, when the particle collides with a solid/brush, it will stop (then fade out based on your lifetime/etc settings.

This isn't a performance friendly way to do this, so if you are creating a map that is suppose to eventually get played by the community, you'll need to find a better way of doing this. And I'm sure there is :)

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 18.09.2011, 17:03Posts: 107Location: Northern Indiana, USA Likes: 5

Post Topic: Re: Another snow question
PostPosted 14.03.2012, 03:07 
Well, in this case it is simply the snow from the DB (DataBase) in CryEngine. You're right, though, there has to be a way that's the right way to do it, but the solids way, messing with the particle system, might be one of them. I guess I would have to look into that. So far I haven't really looked into particles in Cry, but I do know my way around in 3DS Max. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so far.

HL