Particle Effects & Materials

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 17.05.2011, 07:43Posts: 312Location: Czech Republic Likes: 15

Post Topic: Sync Material button not working
PostPosted 21.03.2012, 11:20 
Hello dear all,

I was recently following a tutorial on how to export assets from 3Ds Max to Cryengine 3 SDK provided on address:
Code:
http://eat3d.com/free/cryengine_3dsmax

During this training video everything worked perfectly. I was able to export my asset and create material library, assign materials in SDK, all surface types works and all proxys are working just fine. When I shoot the object, I see wooden and metal particles and hear correct sounds, etc. Simply looks perfect.

The problem comes in the end of the video where the tutor decides to update materials in 3Ds Max material slot to correspond in view-port with what I can see in Sandbox's view-port. I've correctly selected material slot (multi/sub-obj slot with 4 subs) and a row in mat.ed. in SDK as demonstrated in video, yet the Max material slots are not updated thus my Max view-port is showing my asset still greyed out only with colored transparent boxes for proxys. No textures update, no bumps update.

The miscellaneous button "sync material" from editor to max does not work for me.

What am I doing wrong? Does someone has the same experience? How important is this step?

I expected the work flow to be working that way, that I create an object in Max with all correct textures scaling and than just export to SDK to have final result with no additional modification in SDK only with correction of surface type.

Maybe I choose wrong tutorial for my needs.

I use 3Ds Max 2012 Design Trial and latest rev. of SDK (3.3.9). Thank you for your help.

Rgds,

Khim.

[(Mv+Hv)*ωv]/m => I <3 Δ+Φv

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 05.03.2010, 17:23Posts: 367 Likes: 4

Post Topic: Re: Sync Material button not working
PostPosted 21.03.2012, 16:07 
In short your saying the sync material button does not work? works for me, but never had to use that one, though it might be nice to record the setting from sandbox back into max again, for combined material updates and adjustments. otherwise it's not necessary for your workflow. Helps with fine tuning, etc. Now that everything looks perfect you have nothing to worry about.

probably max design, do regular max.
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10650Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 657

PostPosted 21.03.2012, 16:34 
/moved to CE3 / Materials

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 17.05.2011, 07:43Posts: 312Location: Czech Republic Likes: 15

PostPosted 21.03.2012, 16:55 
Thank you for the information Architect. So based on your answer you are writing that it is not possible to record settings from sandbox back to max again? Even when the button works for you?

I didn't have much time to do more experiments. I will do some more and I will come back with an update. So far I only found out that why ever the button does not work for my. I will try standard Max as well through I need design for additional testings outside of C3SDK.

PostPosted 21.03.2012, 22:17 
Hi again,

problem with non working "Sync material" button was successfully solved!

The problem is called "User Account Control (UAC) in Windows OS". All what was needed was to run C3SDK as an administrator. Max is also running this way (due some material saves complications). So Max Design was not the issue.

I prefer to use this UAC service. Well this is it. Now the button is fully working and I can bring any changes to the material in C3SDK (texture swap etc.) back to Max for future modifications and vice-versa. Very handy.

Hope this helps to anyone else :) Thread can be cosed.