Particle Effects & Materials

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

Post Topic: smoke particle and light
PostPosted 06.05.2012, 16:26 
Hello, i made somes try with smoke particle, using a sprite like "smoke_tiled_e" (found in c2) set the blend type as alphabased.

Then iam using a entity light. Big radius and high diffuse multiplier.

The "problem" is that if i place the particle in the light radius, the smoke particle isnt affected by the light.
It was working in the SB2.

Did i miss a setting to be able to do that in the sb3.? Or its something only possible because of the CE2 ?

Thanks.

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9855Location: Finland Likes: 172

Post Topic: Re: smoke particle and light
PostPosted 06.05.2012, 21:00 
Yeah seems that point lights don't affect particles in CE3 - that's a really serious issue that makes quite a large impact on scenes, and requires urgent attention! ?(

I'm guessing it has to do with deferred lightsources, there are quite a few effects that only work for the sun. I tried using non-deferred lightsources (disabled the relevant cvar that forces deferred mode) but it had no effect on this issue.

PostPosted 07.05.2012, 01:32 
Too bad =( i was hopping miss a setting for that.

I saw that when i was porting the alien mine moutain cloud particle from crysis wars into the mod sdk. And the particle really dont look good into the ce3 btw.... plus it hardly decrease performance, thats quiet strange, when there wasnt any trouble in CE2.

There is a LOT more "problem" with particle... :/

In anycase 90% of the time particle are better in the CE2. Even if the problem look to come from their new lighting management.
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9855Location: Finland Likes: 172

PostPosted 07.05.2012, 09:28 
Quote by wootwoots:
In anycase 90% of the time particle are better in the CE2. Even if the problem look to come from their new lighting management.

Yeah it's really not a very flexible approach to make some effects (particle shadows, vegetation translucency, skin SSS) only available for the sunlight. Makes Cryengine visuals good for daylight environments, but not interiors... :unsure:

Vegetation and skin had the same issue in CE2, the effects only worked for the sun. The particles were a new discovery for me, one of the only things where I actually like CE2 over CE3... :P

PostPosted 07.05.2012, 14:54 
Indeed, even if i never used vegetations stuff and so.

And even with the sun, somes particles look cutted if you dont use diffuse lighting / backlighting to 1. It wasnt happen in the ce2. And the doc said that for performance we should avoid use the diffuse.... but the awfull visual without it nearly force you to use a high value.
Easyest way to see that is to use a round texture sprite.
And i dont speak about how are bugged the particle in visarea xD

Or how somes particle functionment have changed like the target attraction / soft particle /
The refraction management and look / somes particle material shader with option who disapear or change.... etc

But well thats another story.