View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.07.2011, 02:00Posts: 66 Likes: 0

Post Topic: HUD / Menu FAQ
PostPosted 19.01.2012, 19:03 
After I long time of trial and error, I thought it was time to put up an FAQ so people would stop asking the same questions over and over again.
Here it goes:

Q: Can I make my own menu system, like Source / Half Life's VGUI?
A:/b]. Yes. See viewtopic.php?f=314&t=81627 for more info.

[b]Q: Would you recommend waiting for the real Scaleform or making your own gui? Why no mention about HTML?.

A: Depends. If you are attempting to make an MMO I would go ahead and make your own flash implementation and use Scaleform's code as reference. I would also recommend creating your own menu system, you can do some pretty cool stuff with that. The Bitmap UI is crap, and I really really don't like HTML :P

-- Thank you CryTek for releasing such an incredible engine. I know people have bitched about this before, but think about this: If you made a game engine that was sucessful would you want to give your code out for free?

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.08.2011, 15:08Posts: 523Location: Canada Likes: 2

Post Topic: Re: HUD / Menu FAQ
PostPosted 25.02.2012, 00:35 

Quote:
[1:49:53 PM] fedayk1ntr: Join the Dark side
[1:50:04 PM} themodman101: You may have cookies, but we have all the milk.
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11297Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 635

PostPosted 23.08.2012, 07:25 
Where is the FAQ? i see two semi answered questions.

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 19.08.2011, 23:34Posts: 311Location: Japan Likes: 24

PostPosted 23.08.2012, 20:14 
Quote by Lavizh:

Yeah I would have to agree with Lavizh. Since this thread was started back in January xD . There are a ton of FAQ's about the HUD and Scaleform etc.. How ever, talking about HTML, most people are talking about HTML 5, and that's what's replacing flash and it is a heck of a lot nicer. I hope they implement HTML 5 as an optional way to do menus and stuff. Or create a Menu or a HUD builder inside the SDK with HTML 5. But idk, its all on them on what they want to do with the CryENGINE there.

Quote by stresswire:
After I long time of trial and error, I thought it was time to put up an FAQ so people would stop asking the same questions over and over again.

With A TON of tutorials about Scaleform people just need to start looking and stop asking the same questions :P . Trust me, if you ask a question somewhere, yea it becomes first on the recent post's list, but deep in the pages there are probably 4 or 5 of the same question, with maybe one or two already answered. I tend to look for videos mostly on Youtube, since UDK and CryENGINE have almost the same types of tutorials on about Scaleform, But UDK requires certain features used on flash that CryENGINE doesn't have to use. Which I like :] . (UDK. A terrible terrible idea.. stupid bumpmaps making materials look plastic :cheesy: )

I think for the most Frequently asked Question that people keep posting should go to an actual FAQ page here to make things a little easier :happy:

Don't PM for help, post so that everyone can respond.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 07.11.2007, 18:21Posts: 1294 Likes: 74

PostPosted 23.08.2012, 21:58 
Quote by Lavizh:

huge bump was huge.