Programming & Scripting

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Trainee TraineeMember since: 21.12.2011, 14:24Posts: 198Location: Holland Likes: 2

Post Topic: Re: Creating new Entity based on Grunt
PostPosted 29.06.2012, 00:15 
great, thanks for the help, I will try to get things working tomorrow morning.
looking forward to it :)

Trainee TraineeMember since: 21.12.2011, 14:24Posts: 198Location: Holland Likes: 2

PostPosted 29.06.2012, 15:26 
okay, so I have done every step in the tutorial, launched CE, but I couldnt find my new class.
Then I read every step again very close, and I noticed you rebuilt the 64-bit crygame.
So I checked the 32-bit version (I use 64 normally) and bingo, there was my new AI class. :)
Guess I have done something good ;)

but my next question, since I rebuilt the 32 bit version, how do I rebuilt the 64-bit version??
I cant find where this can be changed.

Edit: I did notice I have 3 of these messages in the output window in MVC++:

....\CryEngine 3\Code\CryEngine\CryCommon\CryCommon.vcxproj : warning : Platform 'x64' referenced in the project file 'CryCommon' cannot be found. Please make sure you have it installed under '%VCTargetsPath%\Platforms\x64'.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 29.10.2007, 07:14Posts: 778 Likes: 8

PostPosted 30.06.2012, 15:43 
I believe you have to install the Windows SDK, which will allow in turn to compile the 64bit version, which Visual C++ express can't do by default (why make things simple when you can needlessly over-complicate them? :happy: ).

PostPosted 01.07.2012, 16:21 
after some trial and error I got it working (technically)
after trying to install the windows sdk, and getting an error every time I googled a bit, and found out that you need to install the windows SDK before you install VC++.
After that I tried to rebuild crygame but nothing happened.
Again after a google search I found out that I need change some settings to get it rebuilding in x64.
so after changing these settings I launched CE, and there was the new class. :)
I did get an error when I dragged it into the world, but it seemed like a script error (pressing reload script button gives the error again), so I deleted my char files and copied the grunt and grunt_x files, and edited those to match my own char.
When I relaunched CE and dragged my custom class out, it didnt give me any error anymore, but it had the grunt model on it.
Changing the model to my own model did work however, my own model showed up with its idle animation.
Thanks a lot for all the help, now its time I create a better model, make some more animations and play with AI. :)
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 29.10.2007, 07:14Posts: 778 Likes: 8

PostPosted 01.07.2012, 16:23 
Cool! Glad to see it worked for you in the end! :D

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 05.07.2011, 21:47Posts: 27 Likes: 0

PostPosted 12.07.2012, 21:48 
I have followed your tutorial but I still getting this error.

Anything else I can do?

Joe
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 05.07.2011, 21:47Posts: 27 Likes: 0

PostPosted 12.07.2012, 23:33 
Ok, I've solved it some how, I am not sure how.
But it looks like, if you define either the .ent file and the registering stuff in the GameFactory.cpp it just doesnt work.

Cheers
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.04.2012, 15:00Posts: 481 Likes: 40

PostPosted 07.08.2012, 17:34 
Just to clarify...

It appears you do not need a new .ent(It will break like wuut said), just place your custom script files in the same location as Grunt.lua and Grunt_x.lua. My solution file worked fine. I did need to change the #include "afxres.h". And of course, make the update to GameFactory.cpp.