General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 10.06.2012, 00:50Posts: 3 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: CryENGINE / Crysis Asset Usage
PostPosted 10.06.2012, 19:30 
This post hasn't been updated in quite a while, especially not by a CryTek representative. Commercial licenses are now available, so can we have definitive clarification on what can and cannot be used, now? I see people questioning the use of shaders, animations, and other such things, but no clarification from CryTek itself on whether these things are okay. Something definitive would be nice, if we're supposed to actually use this engine.

Edit: Let me clarify exactly what I'm asking. Some people in here are saying they deleted everything inside of the "GAME" folder, just to be sure they didn't use any pre-made assets. I would like confirmation from CryTek that:

All of the assets we can't use commercially are in that folder

All of the assets in that folder, are ones we can't use commercially

If there are any other assets that need to be avoided by a commercial project, or if there are any assets in that folder that are viable for commercial use, I'd like that clarified.

User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11735Location: Nottingham, UK Likes: 75

PostPosted 10.06.2012, 20:00 
Just to clarify; commercial indie licensing is not yet available. I'll try and clear up the asset situation tomorrow.

Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Server programmer for Warface, Warface 360, and more
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11317Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 641

PostPosted 10.06.2012, 20:10 
There is some information here : http://mycryengine.com/index.php?conid=43 and the EULA here : eula/
Crytek will release information needed when the terms & conditions for the Indie License is finalized.

License for established studios / AAA developers and Independent Developers are two different things.

PostPosted 10.06.2012, 21:07 
I must have misunderstood something, then. I thought the 20% royalty license was for independent developers (that's what it's listed under), and as such, "indie" - comparable to the UDK's agreement. This is not the case? Can you clarify what the 20% license IS for, then?

Edit: Though I suspect the answer is something along the lines of, "the 20% agreement listed is just an example/prototype" or somesuch, I'm just looking for clarification.

Last edited by Solodric on 10.06.2012, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11317Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 641

PostPosted 10.06.2012, 21:22 
Quote:
I thought the 20% royalty license was for independent developers

It is.

Looks like two different license structures to me, first one being 20% revenue, other one being some sort of upfront fee. Guess that type of fee isn't finalized yet. Hence my sentence above. We have to wait and see when the terms & conditions for the Indie license has been finalized.

note : I do NOT work in the Licensing Department, please contact Crytek Licensing ;-P

Edit : Correction, the other structure involved access to other platforms than PC, therefor a different license.

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 06.06.2012, 19:44Posts: 5 Likes: 0

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 22:00 
Hi ,

So how can i add stuff from Crisis warhead to cryengine 3 ?
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9833Location: Finland Likes: 169

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 22:06 
You can't unless you use the Crysis 2 mod SDK.

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 22:08 
It's all very simple, read the first post : viewtopic.php?f=355&t=74507
Either use your custom stuff or the assets within the FreeSDK. Keep all Crysis related assets away from the FreeSDK.

PostPosted 13.06.2012, 19:03 
Any luck so far, Cry-Ruan?
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.02.2012, 20:54Posts: 417 Likes: 10

PostPosted 29.06.2012, 20:47 
Hello,

the following question basically is just "inspired" by what "JMLfin" wrote there:

Quote by JMLfin:
http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?p=999635#p999635

Quote by please_REboot:
More and better tropical pictures/videos/etc. FTW :D.

The problem is that the CE3 SDK includes only a few tropical assets, and porting all the assets from Crysis 1 to Crysis 2 and converting all the textures to a format appropriate with CE3 seems like such a huge step to take. In CE2 if you feel like making a tropical scene, you can just open up the editor and start making it. While in CE3 you have to make the effort to port the assets first, which feels like it would take forever and then you get bored and do something else. :)

What "JMLfin" wrote there seems to be quite unfortunate. Because, according to the following:

Quote by Cry-Ruan:
you are allowed to use Crysis assets with CryENGINE 2's Crysis, Crysis: Warhead and Crysis Wars SDKs and CryENGINE 3's Crysis 2 Mod SDK.

?

So "JMLfin" for example basically wrote, the only "problem" would be that converting everything would be time consuming or whatever?

And "Cry-Ruan" seems to have stated in the first post of this thread that, despite it possibly being time consuming, it would be allowed however?

Doesn't that lead to one question:

Crytek, can't you just release a package or something like that for the Crysis 2 modding community where everything (or at least most) would be converted already?

That is assuming it would probably not be too much work for you considering that it probably already has been done because Crysis 1 was released on CE3 for consoles already?

If everything above should be correct, wouldn't that be a logical step and a very nice gift to the Crysis 2 modding community, also considering that, at least up until now, Crysis 1 on CE3 only seems to have been released on consoles and not on PC? So even though PC gamers did not get the game on CE3, with this "gift" the Crysis 2 PC modding community would at least get something to mod with?

It's just that it would be so nice if more and better tropical pictures/videos/mods/etc. would get posted here again :sad: ;) .

And if the only reason that this is not happening so far would be, that the conversion would be time consuming, just like "JMLfin" for example explained, then that would be quite unfortunate :sad: . Especially considering that this time consuming work probably already has been done in the process of creating Crysis 1 on CE3 for consoles :P :p ;) ?
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.02.2012, 20:54Posts: 417 Likes: 10

PostPosted 05.07.2012, 13:03 
No one even replying ?( ?

8o :P :p
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10647Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 656

PostPosted 05.07.2012, 13:07 
Not sure what your question is but to clarify, you can use Crysis (1/wars/warhead/2) assets in any Crysis Mod SDK (1/Wars/2). You cannot use any Crytek game (Crysis/Warface/Future Projects) assets in the Free SDK.

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)

PostPosted 05.07.2012, 13:13 
Thanks for getting back.

But, no, that was not the question.

The question basically was if Crytek can't just release/give all the converted assets (properly converted from Crysis 1 / Crysis Warhead / Crysis Wars (CE2) to Crysis 2 (CE3)) to the Crysis 2 modding community if it would be allowed to convert them anyway, so nobody would have to bother with converting them themself, as, according to "JMLfin" for example (see above), that would be quite time consuming?

That is, again, assuming, that you already have converted them already anyway in the process of creating Crysis 1 on CE3 for consoles and therefore would probably not be too much work for you?
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10647Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 656

PostPosted 05.07.2012, 13:16 
I don't get the time consuming part. You take the extract the cfg/mtl, dump it in CE3, adjust the material to suit the different render and presto. I find this request a little strange though, this is a modding community after all.

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)

PostPosted 05.07.2012, 13:19 
Quote by Cry-Adam:
I don't get the time consuming part. You take the extract the cfg/mtl, dump it in CE3, adjust the material to suit the different render and presto. I find this request a little strange though, this is a modding community after all.

Again, the question basically was/is just "inspired" by what "JMLfin" wrote there for example:

Quote by JMLfin:
http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?p=999635#p999635

Quote by please_REboot:
More and better tropical pictures/videos/etc. FTW :D.

The problem is that the CE3 SDK includes only a few tropical assets, and porting all the assets from Crysis 1 to Crysis 2 and converting all the textures to a format appropriate with CE3 seems like such a huge step to take. In CE2 if you feel like making a tropical scene, you can just open up the editor and start making it. While in CE3 you have to make the effort to port the assets first, which feels like it would take forever and then you get bored and do something else. :)

Isn't it plausible what he posted?