Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 23:50Posts: 1731 Likes: 8

Post Topic: Re: Microsoft says "we" are to blame for Windows 8.
PostPosted 03.07.2012, 06:59 
Starter is uncomplete. I want a complete, but light windows.

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 12.04.2007, 16:51Posts: 3272 Likes: 2

PostPosted 03.07.2012, 09:43 
what you need is this... Game Booster
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/09/06/game-b ... or-gaming/
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 23:50Posts: 1731 Likes: 8

PostPosted 03.07.2012, 17:12 
I know it, and it's a cool feature, but it's sometimes not enough if you know what I mean.
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 12.04.2007, 16:51Posts: 3272 Likes: 2

PostPosted 04.07.2012, 07:04 
Quote by NeoLegends:
I know it, and it's a cool feature, but it's sometimes not enough if you know what I mean.

Yeah you need better hardware..
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 02:08Posts: 252 Likes: 0

PostPosted 04.07.2012, 08:57 
Quote by the_grim:
People have been able to add shortcuts of their programs straight on the desktop since Windows 95 (not unlike the Metro screen with "app" icons), but "we" still loved the improved functionality of the Start menu in Windows 7... I do like to pin my favourite programs to the taskbar but I still use the Start menu for stuff that I don't use that often.

I don't know much about how the Metro UI actually plays in everyday use, but I don't like the prospect of having to browse through a smartphone-like catalogue of EVERYTHING I have installed when I want to use the handful of programs I use the most. There's a Search interface where you can type the name of the program you're looking for - but why not have it straight in the Metro start screen? Now you basically have 2 menus to browse your programs: the Metro screen and the Search screen which has smaller icons plus a search field... ?(

Not sure if already addressed, but the Metro screen does have search.
It's exactly same as the start menu.
You just press the windows key and start typing, and it will immediately search applications.
There are other windows key combinations to search settings or files directly however I'm kind of too lazy to google them right now.
Quote by iniside:
Quote by VengenceBot:
EDIT: to Onion about the IE thing.. how are you to browse the internet if the OS has no IE browser?

They can include Chrome, Firefox and Opera and let you select during installation what are you going to use. Of course without IE I suppose someone could write down the FTP link for firefox and download it over the command line.
But hey, why would they if they dumb installation process for total idiots without option for advanced installation ?

European versions of Windows 7 are required to give you an option to install the other browsers as default instead of IE.
Quote by doomlord52:
Honestly, from what i've seen in the RC beta (and other versions), Windows 8 is pretty bad. The metro UI is just a massive downgrade from what we have now in windows 7. The one thing I do see as a MASSIVE upgrade is in tablet usage. Windows 7 is not touch friendly. It might support it, but its designed to be used with a mouse. The metro UI will be great on a touch screen - however, its sacrificed mouse-usability.

Oh well, we shall see how this turns out. I dont see it being the massive success XP or Windows 7 was.

The Metro UI isn't made to be used with a mouse—it was made for touch after all—but as any experienced laptop user can tell you (People who use solely the keyboard for OS navigation on all fronts), it's just as simple and quick with a keyboard as with touch.
Quote by BmB:
No compatibility issues here, you must have done something wrong.

The only time I had compatibility issues was in Windows 8 DP. Everything that had some sort of OS detection when installing had some sort of problem.
When Windows 8 CP came along, absolutely everything installed fine, even 3ds Max and CryENGINE 3.
Quote by SnowGecko:
Nvidia should make an OS it would be top notch :)

I dunno man, if I know corporations they'll probably just lazy it up a notch and base it off of Linux or tell you to install gentoo.

PostPosted 04.07.2012, 14:11 
Quote by Mr. Kidnapper:
European versions of Windows 7 are required to give you an option to install the other browsers as default instead of IE.

No they are not. My Windows 7 never asked me to install a different browser at the time of installation. Or do you mean just set the browser as a default browser which is used when clicking on links?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.01.2009, 14:25Posts: 1915 Likes: 10

PostPosted 04.07.2012, 20:17 
Quote by iniside:
Baylions of appds that I have scroll trough if I forgot name ?

And what is your plan of attack on 7/Vista/XP/whatever you're running?
Start menu, all programs, scrolling through a list of all programs?
Explorer, scrolling through a list of all programs?

The metro start screen functions almost identically to the existing start menu. Pinned apps, and a 'all programs' button. Links to frequent areas. A search option. A link to your profile. Etc.
The only thing no longer on the 'start' is power options (off/restart/etc), because those are on the sidebar.

PostPosted 05.07.2012, 17:45 
Quote by VengenceBot:

• GTX 460
  • 12GB RAM
  • AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4x3.4GHz
I need better hardware?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.01.2009, 14:25Posts: 1915 Likes: 10

PostPosted 06.07.2012, 00:08 
Quote by NeoLegends:
Quote by VengenceBot:

• GTX 460
  • 12GB RAM
  • AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4x3.4GHz
I need better hardware?

Quad at 3.4? Lamesauce.
GTX 460? Lamesauce.
12GB? Lamesauce. (Though I have the same :P)

This is Crydev yo! Get some specs!

PostPosted 06.07.2012, 03:25 
that spyware sure does drain a system..
I need my own Surface thread to get some attention.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1540 Likes: 55

PostPosted 06.07.2012, 08:10 
Quote by Zurginator:
Quote by iniside:

The metro start screen functions almost identically to the existing start menu. Pinned apps, and a 'all programs' button. Links to frequent areas. A search option. A link to your profile. Etc.
The only thing no longer on the 'start' is power options (off/restart/etc), because those are on the sidebar.

Start menu is smaller.

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).

PostPosted 06.07.2012, 08:49 
Quote by iniside:
Quote by Zurginator:
Quote by iniside:

Start menu is smaller.

Metro start screen displays more information. :meh:

I used to adamantly hate W8... until I used the CP for a few weeks as my sole computer. The first week I still hated it, but it started growing on me. After using it as my daily driver, my *only* problem with W8 is the jar between the desktop and metro visual styles, and since they're fixing that, I'm actually excited.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1540 Likes: 55

PostPosted 06.07.2012, 09:17 
Quote by Zurginator:
Start menu is smaller.

Metro start screen displays more information. :meh:
.[/quote]
It doesn't. That's the problem. It take over my entire screen. In start menu I can just drag and drop from it whatever I want. In Metro Right click, mark, go bottom click again.
No. I hate metro. And I'm not going back until it will be removed.

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).

PostPosted 06.07.2012, 12:33 
Quote by Zurginator:
Quad at 3.4? Lamesauce.
GTX 460? Lamesauce.
12GB? Lamesauce. (Though I have the same :P)

This is Crydev yo! Get some specs!

I'm a student and have no money, however my next graphics card will be either a 670 or a 680. ;)