General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.07.2012, 15:20Posts: 2 Likes: 0

Post Topic: getting started
PostPosted 23.07.2012, 15:32 
Hello everbody,

I'm want to be a new user of the free cryengine3 skd. now i got a problem. I have only installed the free cryengine3 skd and now i don't know what to do next. I really hope someone can help me so that I'm also can develop my onw game.

thanks for readying,

skydd

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 11.07.2012, 08:55Posts: 5 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: getting started
PostPosted 23.07.2012, 18:06 
Hi, I only recently arrived here myself. First step - check out the links in the Docs up at the top of this page. Searching youtube for cryengine tutorial also seems pretty effective.

I think the first thing for most people is to get use to the basic sandbox functionality - after that you'll probably have a few more ideas for the directions you want to go in.

HTH
FF
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 29.11.2011, 19:14Posts: 8Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 24.07.2012, 01:21 
Just take it all in at your own pace. When I first got into cryengine I spent my time clicking all of the buttons to see what they did.

After that take a look at youtube for some basic tutorials. If you have a bit of money to spend I would highly recommend you buy some of the Eat3D (www.eat3d.com) tutorials on cryengine. They have a great 3 part series on the basics of cryengine as well as a couple of follow ups on materials. Other than that the only other thing I could think of is the cryengine cookbook which can be found here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/CryEngine-3-Coo ... 1849691061 expensive but well worth it :)

Good luck!
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.07.2012, 15:20Posts: 2 Likes: 0

PostPosted 24.07.2012, 12:12 
thanks but that wasn't really my problem. After i downloaded the free cryengine 3 skd, i had only a map full of documents. but i don't know wat to do with those files. do have to click on some files or do i have to download an other program? please, can someone tells me
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 11.07.2012, 08:55Posts: 5 Likes: 0

PostPosted 24.07.2012, 13:17 
run C:\CryEngine\Bin64\Editor.exe (or where ever you installed it)
To start the sandbox editor

or open
C:\CryEngine\Code\Solutions\CryEngine_GameCodeOnly.sln
with VisualStudio 10 if you want to see the source.

I believe it can also be made to work with VS Express - there are some instructions on this if you search around.