View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.11.2007, 23:08Posts: 1333Location: Austin, TX Likes: 0

Post Topic: Zion -Map delayed -Dec 29th
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 07:38 
Zion

Latest update: [URL=http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?postid=418577#post418577]Map delayed until further notice.

[/URL]

Last edited by ZapWizard on 29.12.2008, 20:41, edited 10 times in total.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.11.2007, 23:08Posts: 1333Location: Austin, TX Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 07:39 
Large image

This map has been on my mind for a while now.
I finally settled in on a location, and today I started making the terrain.

Again I am using a real-world location with 1:1 scale satellite photos.
This time however I am also using 1:1 scale height maps taken directly from USGS data

Compare the above in-game images with the Google Earth image below:
Large image

The first image there is after about 6 hours of work.
First I collected all the USGS data on the area I was interested in.
Then following 4k1R4's guide with a few improvements I imported the height map.
I color corrected the satellite photo for in-game use and imported it.
The imported height-map is accurate but has stair-steps throughout that REALLY increase the triangle count. It took about an hour of flying around the map smoothing everything out.
Next come lots and LOTS of painting in the detail textures to match the existing rock.

To learn how to do this check out this thread:
4k1R4's Heightmap Video Tutorial. Making 1:1 scale maps...

My map location is in Zion's National park in Utah, a place I have visited a few times on vacation.
There are a many reasons why I choose this location:
-It's not another tropical island.
-Some of the ICMC Maps have shown that a desert terrain can look great in the engine.
-I have my own reference photos to use from my visit.
-It is a huge dramatic landscape.-
-Since it's a national park there are very high quality publicly available satellite photos and heightmaps of the area.

This is an image of the satellite photo. No tiling issues, minimal shadows.
Large image

It is higher res and much quality then Google Earth. For example on google earth half the area is summer, the other half is winter.
Google Maps link

But the full size photo is exactly 1 pixel= 1 meter resolution.
Below is a 1:1 zoom of the red box above (See the large image link for the 1:1 zoom)
Large image

Height map:
Large image

And here are some of my own photos from my visit there to give you an idea of the end-goal:

Large image

Large image

Large image

Large Image

Initial Map Goals:
-Based on 1:1 scale, real-world terrain and height-map data.
-Map where player transverses the same areas in both normal and combat situations.
-Lots of interactive idle details. Background animations, AI talks to you and each other.
-Interactive Puzzles and challenges (logical, and physical)
-Player is not special forces military
-Tag-based trackview sequences that can happen anywhere.
-Health and suit power is not auto-regenerating.
-Suit powers are enabled slowly over the course of the map.
-Lots of voice acting

Also, while much larger, the goal on this map is NOT to be bigger and longer then Castaway was. (But no promises) :P

Last edited by ZapWizard on 20.06.2008, 20:18, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:49Posts: 1702Location: A Sweet Sweet Orgy of Grass and Vegetation Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 07:39 
Cool. But why not consider heading a mod team. You'd get you're pick of some of the most wicked guys you know.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 07:44 
Mostly because I would rather mod then manage.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:49Posts: 1702Location: A Sweet Sweet Orgy of Grass and Vegetation Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 07:48 
oh I hear you. Actually I've led a team of 15 guys before so I know what you mean - ok I'll see this map

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 02.05.2005, 22:35Posts: 414Location: sweden Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 07:51 
I can't reply to this thread cause I'm still to impressed with castaway and you could have showed me a can of soda and said you would build a map of that and I would have bealived that it would turn out to be awsome. ;)

Anyway - you seem to put your soul into all your work. Keep it up!

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 22.02.2008, 20:01Posts: 1407 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 13:27 
Yay another map from Zap. Interesting idea and location, I like where this is going :)
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 26.11.2007, 12:29Posts: 156 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 13:45 
great! i really like castaway although it as a bit sloppy in areas, I'm really looking forward to this.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 25.02.2008, 13:17Posts: 650Location: Under your bed Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 14:45 
Woop! This should be awesome. Hopefully you'll make this one to the same level of goodness with the gameplay. And even sexier with eye candy. That would make it the ultimate map. (And some optimization, i at some points load 5,000,000 Tris on castaway, looking at some sections :O )

Looking forward to it Zap! Weave those magical flowgraphy fingers.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 02.01.2008, 21:18Posts: 1361Location: Hamburg, Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 14:55 
Will you spend more time in vegetation etc ?
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.12.2007, 20:29Posts: 388Location: Manchester, UK Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 15:41 
Quote:
Originally posted by ZapWizard

Initial Map Goals:
-Based on 1:1 scale, real-world terrain and height-map data.
-Map where player transverses the same areas in both normal and combat situations.
-Lots of interactive idle details. Background animations, AI talks to you and each other.
-Interactive Puzzles and challenges (logical, and physical)
-Player is not special forces military
-Tag-based trackview sequences that can happen anywhere.
-Health and suit power is not auto-regenerating.
-Suit powers are enabled slowly over the course of the map.
-Lots of voice acting

Sounds good. I am relieved it isnt another Spec Ops meets Tropical Island map :)

What would make it even better, imo, is ditching the nanosuit altogether. There's a whole host of character models that could be used. Perhaps you could just be a geologist on a dig or merely a sight see'er who ends up in the middle of your story. Just an idea :)

I am interested in the "Tag-based trackview sequences that can happen anywhere" part. Can you elaborate on this a little?

Last edited by Bandu on 20.06.2008, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 23.11.2007, 18:03Posts: 242Location: Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 15:43 
Looks very interesting, im looking forward to this too.
But I hope you will spend more time on details this time (since you are not under preassure due the ICMC contest), and in the desert area there is less vegetation to do :tongue:
Good luck! ;)

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 31.03.2008, 11:16Posts: 4643Location: Brisbane, Australia Likes: 1

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 15:44 
look foward to playing this..

have to play your first map tommorow tho..

Very high effects on low settings, The Ultimate Low Config

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 18:55 
Quote:
Originally posted by Bandu
Sounds good. I am relieved it isnt another Spec Ops meets Tropical Island map :)

What would make it even better, imo, is ditching the nanosuit altogether. There's a whole host of character models that could be used. Perhaps you could just be a geologist on a dig or merely a sight see'er who ends up in the middle of your story. Just an idea :)

I am interested in the "Tag-based trackview sequences that can happen anywhere" part. Can you elaborate on this a little?

There is far less vegetation to do (see reference photo) But my goal is to match reference photos are closely as possible. Not do I only have my own reference photos, but there are literally hundreds of geotagged photos online I can use.

Ditching the nanosuit is a possibility, as I have a story element which could fill in some of the functions when needed. Combat Training showed that you don't need the suit to have fun. Without a contest restricting time and forcing me to not use a "Mod" there are more possibilities. However the character synopsis is already written, as is a lot of the first half of the story.

While the real-world location is a national park, in-game it will not be. I am simply using the location the same was any movie would, as a background for my action.
However I am trying to keep all the real-life geology and roads in the map.

Tag-based trackview sequences covers a lot of possibilities, currently there are a few using it for air-drops on-demand. I plan on using it for complex animations such as special weapon effects, guided bombs, robotic type AI.

Last edited by ZapWizard on 20.06.2008, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 28.12.2007, 05:42Posts: 1414Location: Hell, seriously. Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 20.06.2008, 19:26 
Wow, at it again eh Zappy? This looks promising man, especially with time restraints and what not being at a minimum now. Can't wait to see what you get into this time, those Tag Based TV's sound interesting.